Quieting the Water Pump - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2013, 09:42 PM   #1

Trailer: 2010 Escape 13
Quieting the Water Pump

When we are camping without hookups I have noticed that our water pump is one of the few sources of noise. Today I installed a SHURflo 182-200 Pre-Pressurized Accumulator Tank and a SHURflo 94-591-01 Pump Silencing Kit.

In the original installation the pump outlet was connected to the water system with solid piping which seemed to amplify the sound of the pump. Whenever a tap was opened even a little bit the pump switched on then off again.

The combination of an accumulator and flexible hoses has reduced the noise considerably and the pump cycles much less frequently.

Not an expensive modification, easy to do and well worth while. High resolution version here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/brian_v...5765/lightbox/
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1884sm.jpg  

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:16 PM   #2

Trailer: Was 2011 17B, now Bigfoot 21
Brian,
A few trips ago, I added the SHURflo accumulator and have noticed yellow water. The water in my tank is clear but what comes out of the tap (through the accumulator) is slightly yellow. Have you noticed discolored water?
And I too, appreciate the pump not cycling as much.

Ben
btroxell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:11 AM   #3

Ben

I have not noticed that. Our fresh water tank was empty and the whole water system had been drained from our last trip, then I partly filled our fresh water tank with clean water, and the water that came from the tank was also clean.

You might try draining your whole water system and trying again. There should be a low level drain on the driver side of your trailer for the water piping and also a drain for the fresh water tank. You may need to open the pressure relief valve on your hot water tank and open all water taps to get all the water out.

2003 Subaru Forester
Old 09-16-2013, 09:09 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I did the same thing early last year, and even added more cushioning under the pump. Much quieter now. I also find that after the pump is turned off, we can get a few flushes of the toilet with the pressure accumulated in the system, which is nice for nighttime quiet.

I have had no issue with yellowing of water, and highly suspect it would be something other than the accumulator tank.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:12 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
We added one to our Scamp and never had any problems with water turning yellow. One of these days I am going to put one in Blue too.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I did the same thing early last year, and even added more cushioning under the pump. Much quieter now. I also find that after the pump is turned off, we can get a few flushes of the toilet with the pressure accumulated in the system, which is nice for nighttime quiet.
Jim:

Did you use the method shown here in post #25 to cushion the pump? http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...mp-1592-3.html

2003 Subaru Forester
Old 09-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Pretty much, Brian. I got my idea from that post of Dougs. Here are the photos of my installation.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...html#post19241
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvansnell View Post
In the original installation the pump outlet was connected to the water system with solid piping which seemed to amplify the sound of the pump.
That's disappointing. The ShurFlo installation instructions that I have read clearly call for flexible hose, not direct connection of rigid tubing. Brian, did you ask Reace why hose wasn't used?

Is everyone's pump installed this way? Mine is in my current motorhome (despite the manufacturer's excessive use of hose elsewhere), but I had hoped for better from Escape.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
My understanding is that Escape used to hook directly to rigid tubing for the outflow (like in my '09), but now doesn't. (Don't know when the switch occurred. And you're right, Brian, the pump manual specifically recommends against hooking to rigid tubing. I switched over a couple of years ago. Well worth it for quiet and pump life.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wray View Post
My understanding is that Escape used to hook directly to rigid tubing for the outflow (like in my '09), but now doesn't.
Thanks Bruce.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That's disappointing. The ShurFlo installation instructions that I have read clearly call for flexible hose, not direct connection of rigid tubing. Brian, did you ask Reace why hose wasn't used?
Brian

We got our Escape in early 2010 and did most of our early camping with hookups so this was not an issue. We "went solar" earlier this year and did more camping without hookups this summer and I started to think about how to reduce the noise. It was helpful that so many people had already solved the problem, so I just copied what they did.

I have not talked to Reace about this. It was a relatively minor issue and I was happy to be able to fix it myself.

The few small things that there are to fix in an Escape trailer are an indication of how great the quality is!

2003 Subaru Forester
Old 09-30-2013, 05:44 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I replaced my defective Artis pump with a Shurflo 4008, and am considering the "quieting" tricks addressed in a couple of these threads, and at the same time adding an accumulator tank, despite the claim on the pump box that one is not needed with the Shurflo 4008.

One thing I've noticed in all the photos I've reviewed here is that no one seems to be using a strainer on the input side of the pump, although the Shurflo instructions specify one. Until replacing the pump, it hadn't even occurred to me that this might be a good idea.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
My 2013 19' came with an input strainer.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
They just keep improving the product!
Old 10-01-2013, 02:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
One thing I've noticed in all the photos I've reviewed here is that no one seems to be using a strainer on the input side of the pump, although the Shurflo instructions specify one. Until replacing the pump, it hadn't even occurred to me that this might be a good idea.
Bob

This might just be another project for me! As others have discovered there are all sorts of small improvements that can be made. It keeps the mind active!

How quiet is "quite"? How clean is "clean"?

2003 Subaru Forester
Old 11-28-2016, 09:24 PM   #16

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Installing an Accumulator Tank is an easy project.

I have no special skills, just normal household skills of light plumbing and light electrical. The instructions are straightforward, just as Brian reported in his original post. When you order the Accumulator Tank, Shurflo Model #182-200, remember to also order the Shurflo Pump Silencing Kit. The two hoses are 36" long each and allow direct screw-on connections between the pump, Accumulator, and the water system. If needed, two 1/2" NPT bushings are included to connect the two hoses together, or to connect the female hose end to the female water line. Nothing else is needed. All connections are hand tightened with no leaks just as reported by Brian, Jim, and others who have added the Accumulator Tank.
Thanks for the great information provided on this thread!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote