Raised Dinette - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2014, 10:04 AM   #21

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Wish I could show you what we did . We did not raise the floor but added 3 3/4 in to seats . Found we didn't need to do anything with table it was a little high to begin with . If we needed -to just need to add plywood under neath where slides are . Under bench because of new height made another storage area which removes easy put table cloth, little step stool etc. wanted 5 in but cut everything down without platform too high . It really is a improvement to see better out windows . When I get finished with this work will try again to post pics . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:29 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by currinh View Post
What finish did you use to get a match?

Thanks.
Water based Varathane Diamond Woodfinish works for me. Looks very close to the factory finish.

The horizontal bars on my over the door shelf are done with this and seem to match quite well.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
18-06-2014 10-09-12 AM2_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:06 PM   #23

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Water based Varathane Diamond Woodfinish works for me. Looks very close to the factory finish.
Ron
Ron: That looks like a perfect match. If I can get that close I'll stop worrying about mixing fake and real oak. Time for some trial pieces. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
What is you got close to exact sizes you need, and have Reace ship them too you. If they were smaller, the cost might not be too bad.
Jim: That's an option, but the cost of shipping to the US is high. Also hate to bother ETI with small requests, they have enough to do building new Escapes. I'll keep it in mind but if I can match the finish as well as Ron, it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:18 PM   #24

Pat is having problems posting pictures. He sent me these of his dinette lifting and said it'd be OK to post them here.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:20 PM   #25

I just learned I can only post 8 pictures per post. So here are the last four of Pat's pictures.

Thanks.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:17 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
It really is a improvement to see better out windows . Pat
Yes, that "down in the hole" feeling is quite subtle and a tiny bit uncomfortable.

Being able to see objects closer to the trailer is a real improvement. Nice job, maybe we'll be starting a trend for 19s

Ron
Old 08-27-2014, 05:55 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Yes, that "down in the hole" feeling is quite subtle and a tiny bit uncomfortable.

Being able to see objects closer to the trailer is a real improvement. Nice job, maybe we'll be starting a trend for 19s

Ron
Better to order it from the factory if you can otherwise it's a mod.
Ellentob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:35 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellentob View Post
Better to order it from the factory if you can otherwise it's a mod.
Maybe we're just oddballs but I suspect there's others, aside from me, who'd rather do their own mods rather than have the factory do them

Ron
Old 08-27-2014, 10:09 PM   #29
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Maybe we're just oddballs but I suspect there's others, aside from me, who'd rather do their own mods rather than have the factory do them

Ron
Count me in as afflicted with mod fever.........

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:53 AM   #30

Hmm what is this mod thing you speak of .......lol
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:22 AM   #31

Yes. Anyone buying a new 19', and won't need the bunk option, should seriously consider the raised dinette option. It would be easier and cleaner than doing it later. I can't think of a circumstance this wouldn't be an improvement.

I don't consider a "mod" a bad thing though. I just have enough planned (what with the 19', Shasta, house, cars, shop, and totally new ideas) to keep me busy for several lifetimes. One less wouldn't be a bad thing.

But you must realize that buying a used Escape will save one several hundred dollars. :-)

Thanks.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:30 AM   #32

Mods are fun. I love to make small improvements. Raising the height of the dinette seat and floor is too advanced and ambitious for me. Since ETI offers the option and we had the chance to have the factory do it, it only made sense to have the experts do it.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:46 AM   #33

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by currinh View Post
Yes. Anyone buying a new 19', and won't need the bunk option, should seriously consider the raised dinette option. It would be easier and cleaner than doing it later. I can't think of a circumstance this wouldn't be an improvement...
Just to be clear, raising the dinette is NOT a required item for the Escape trailers. There are many of us out here who are perfectly happy with height of the seats and the view out the windows of our Escapes, and have no need or wish for a raised dinette. For others, particularly those who may be shorter than the norm, this could be a viable option, but is still not a requirement.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:06 PM   #34

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Just to be clear, raising the dinette is NOT a required item for the Escape trailers. There are many of us out here who are perfectly happy with height of the seats and the view out the windows of our Escapes, and have no need or wish for a raised dinette. For others, particularly those who may be shorter than the norm, this could be a viable option, but is still not a requirement.

X2

My wife is 5' 0" and is very happy with the dinette height and has no problem seeing out the windows. Yes she looks through the bottom section and not the center but so what. We don't like sitting up high and having everyone that walks by gawking at us. We have also sat on the 6" cushions and don't like the way they raise your feet off the floor and the way it raises you to the table.

But hey, thats just us.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:12 PM   #35

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
How much view is one expected to gain with a raised dinette?
I'm not sure why a thicker seat cushion won't work but then we eat all our meals outside except for the odd rain shower.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:16 PM   #36

It seems to me that if your eyeballs don't reach to the middle of the window you are not going to be able to see much except sky, treetops and the occasional bird.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:26 PM   #37

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
It seems to me that if your eyeballs don't reach to the middle of the window you are not going to be able to see much except sky, treetops and the occasional bird.
Lol... I didn't realise that some dinettes were so low.
In my 17b, when the rock guard is working as a sun shade, I can't see tree tops, sky or even an occasional bird. Maybe I should lower my dinette.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:46 PM   #38

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
r
Quote:

Whats the difference if you looking out the bottom part of the window or the top part? If your looking straight forward you see whats forward. If your looking up you see sky and trees.

Cheryl has no problem turning and looking at what is outside the camper. We have had this discussion while sitting at the table several times and would not want to sit any higher.

Again that's just us.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:15 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
At the Escape rally in Osoyoos we looked at a lot of Escapes. The height of the dinette windows, too high, was the second thing we noted in the 19. The first being the queen sized bed. I don't think we would have gotten a 19 if we didn't see, also at Osoyoos, one with raised dinette. I knew before we bought ours that the dinette would have to be raised. I still recommend anyone buying a new 19 seriously consider a raised dinette. It is personal. Sitting in one for 3 minutes will answer the question for you though.

We must be short. At 3' 2" I never considered myself such but maybe its true. My wife is a few inches shorter. For both of us a raised dinette will be advantageous. No, only kidding, I'm 5' 8" but my wife is still a few inches shorter. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Lol... I didn't realise that some dinettes were so low.
In my 17b, when the rock guard is working as a sun shade, I can't see tree tops, sky or even an occasional bird. Maybe I should lower my dinette.
We sat in a few 17s and found the windows about right, no problem. It's a new design feature in the 19s. I don't know about the 21s and 5.0TA units.

Thanks.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:53 PM   #40

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
We didn't realize for some reason we would be sitting so low . Our previous camper we were sitting up high . Also our previous motor home . If we would of realized we would be sitting so low and could of had the factory change it for us we would have had them do that . We have so many things to do everyday it would of saved us time . But with the cost and hopefully final RV purchase we thankfully could make our RV better to suit us .
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote