Raised Dinette - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2014, 12:48 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
Raised Dinette

I'm seriously considering raising the dinette in our 2011 Escape 19'. Has anyone done this modification after manufacture?

Does anyone know the manufacturer and style of the flooring? I'd like to make the raised floor the same as the rest of the trailer, thus I'd like to find the same "linoleum" that's in the rest of the trailer. Also, who makes the fake oak covered plywood used to the cabinets?

The big problem in raising the dinette is the breaker/fuse panel. It's at floor level so will need to be raised with the floor. Not a problem, but all the wires to it then need to be extended. The structure doesn't look too difficult, though the faces of the dinette will need to be remade.

Any suggestions or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:39 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape
Thicker seat cushions.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:35 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by currinh View Post
I'm seriously considering raising the dinette in our 2011 Escape 19'. Has anyone done this modification after manufacture?

Does anyone know the manufacturer and style of the flooring? I'd like to make the raised floor the same as the rest of the trailer, thus I'd like to find the same "linoleum" that's in the rest of the trailer. Also, who makes the fake oak covered plywood used to the cabinets?

The big problem in raising the dinette is the breaker/fuse panel. It's at floor level so will need to be raised with the floor. Not a problem, but all the wires to it then need to be extended. The structure doesn't look too difficult, though the faces of the dinette will need to be remade.

Any suggestions or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Hugh, I think Reace could give you the flooring info. I believe its made by Armstrong.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:08 PM   #4

Bob:

I fear we'd feel like in her rocking chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
Thicker seat cushions.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:10 PM   #5

Thanks. I also sent an email to Escape but haven't heard back yet. (It's only been a couple of hours though.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Hugh, I think Reace could give you the flooring info. I believe its made by Armstrong.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:05 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I'm ~just~ OK with the visibility from the dinette and my shorter wife was unhappy the seats are so low, or the windows are so high, take your pick. We had noticed it in the factory demo and knew we'd have do something to improve the view.

The solution I came up with is pretty simple and doesn't require doing anything that can't be undone.

Basically, I constructed a 2" wide "spacer frame" that sits (and is screwed to) on top of the existing framework. We experimented first and that amount greatly improved my wife's view out the windows and doesn't make the seat too high for her feet to reach the floor.

I'll face the pine piece with oak.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
08-08-2014 4-51-22 PM3_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:31 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Ron, this frame is only along the front, not back? We have the same problem and we are not short.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:59 PM   #8

I've marked the frame pieces with green masking tape. The height of the frame is 2".

We sighted to the closest ground that we could see with and without the riser. 2" makes more difference than you might expect. I guess an advantage of this type of solution is that there could be individual differences in the two seat heights.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
08-08-2014 7-44-41 PM1_resize.jpg   08-08-2014 7-44-41 PM2_resize.jpg  
Old 08-08-2014, 11:01 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I'm ~just~ OK with the visibility from the dinette and my shorter wife was unhappy the seats are so low, or the windows are so high, take your pick. We had noticed it in the factory demo and knew we'd have do something to improve the view.
Ron
I noticed that also when visiting the factory, and as I am also "vertically challenged", I requested they make the benches 3" to 4" higher, which they did.
Of course that doesn't help those whose Escapes are now finished, but it may help someone else.
BTW, I think Ron has a good idea.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:01 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
I did make our benches 3in higher . Couldn't t see very good out the windows. Much better . When I figure how to post pics of everything that is done will share .
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:03 AM   #11

Ron:

Yes. The first 19 we saw, at Osoyoos, showed there'd be problems with dinette visibility. Then saw another, at Osoyoos, that had the raised dinette so know it is possible. With that knowledge we bought one.

I'm thinking something very similar to yours but 5-6". At 5-6" I'll need to put in a false floor, too much leg dangle. But put a frame as you've done, a false floor, and raise the breaker/fuse box to the new floor level. Likely put new panel facing on the sides and raise the bed/table support.

Might be worth raising it as you've done 2-3" first and see how we like it. Your fix looks very clean, I do like it. The false floor, and breaker/fuse box relocation, would require some re-wiring.

Thanks.

Quote:

The solution I came up with is pretty simple and doesn't require doing anything that can't be undone.

Basically, I constructed a 2" wide "spacer frame" that sits (and is screwed to) on top of the existing framework. We experimented first and that amount greatly improved my wife's view out the windows and doesn't make the seat too high for her feet to reach the floor.

I'll face the pine piece with oak.

Ron
Old 08-09-2014, 12:04 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Did not want to raise flooring because of converter not messing with that .It was pretty easy .
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:16 AM   #13

Pat and Linda:

Janet H gives a description on how to post pictures in post #7 here. I typically upload pictures to a hosting site, like Photobucket, and link them with tags according to Janet's second option.

If I can help send me a PM. I would like to see your pictures and how you did it.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I did make our benches 3in higher . Couldn't t see very good out the windows. Much better . When I figure how to post pics of everything that is done will share .
Old 08-09-2014, 12:27 AM   #14

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Thanks, Ron. I suppose a frame could be made a number of ways but yours looks good and not too much trouble.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:57 AM   #15

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
I'm ~just~ OK with the visibility from the dinette and my shorter wife was unhappy the seats are so low, or the windows are so high, take your pick. We had noticed it in the factory demo and knew we'd have do something to improve the view....
Ron
Could not resist adding this.

Randy Newman - Short People (1978) - YouTube

Although I myself am not vertically challenged, I do empathize with your situation.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:24 AM   #16

I received feedback from Reace at ETI. It looks like there were several floorings options then. The one we have has been discontinued. Since we can't get the flooring we'll likely us a cork flooring on the raised portrion.

Reace also indicated the panelling and trim is made by Vipco in Calgary. I think all use the same pattern, "Western Oak". At least ours does. I've emailed Vipco to see if they have any distributors in the US.

Quote:
Thanks.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:22 AM   #17

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Here is a link for the curious. Finishes - Woods
Old 08-12-2014, 04:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Could not resist adding this.

Randy Newman - Short People (1978) - YouTube

Although I myself am not vertically challenged, I do empathize with your situation.
Well don't spare too much empathy, I'm 5-10/11 and haven't ever considered myself vertically challenged I think the bottom line is, for most people the seats in the 19 are too low or the bottom of the windows are too high to have a good view of close objects.

Ron
Old 08-25-2014, 01:09 AM   #19

I received an email back from Vipco in Alberta. They have no distributors in the US. So, it looks like our solution will be oak panelling, real oak trim, and a flooring of our choice on the raised floor.

The outside of all the cabinet doors are of solid oak and look right with the existing panels. So, if we find the right finish this should blend in well. Has anyone added or replaced existing trim or panels with oak? What finish did you use to get a match?

My current thinking is to raise the bench seats, very similar to Ron's solution, some 5". Also raise the table on wooden blocks the same amount. This will allow us to try the height for a trip or two and adjust if needed. Then put in a raised floor, and new higher panelling where needed.

Thanks.

Quote:
Reace also indicated the panelling and trim is made by Vipco in Calgary. I think all use the same pattern, "Western Oak". At least ours does. I've emailed Vipco to see if they have any distributors in the US.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:38 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I received an email back from Vipco in Alberta. They have no distributors in the US. So, it looks like our solution will be oak panelling, real oak trim, and a flooring of our choice on the raised floor.
What is you got close to exact sizes you need, and have Reace ship them too you. If they were smaller, the cost might not be too bad.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote