Raising dinette on 19' - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2015, 08:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Raising dinette on 19'

What modification does Escape have for raising the dinette? What do people think?
thanks
Bobo
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:24 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We personally are porch folk, and if we're at the campsite, you will usually find us out under the awning or walking. In our Scamps and 17b the view was normally out the back, with the front windows looking at the back of the tow vehicle, plus as we get older, I didn't want to add a tripping hazard. We're also fairly tall, and the 17b dinette height was fine, but haven't spent much time in a 19 to say whether it's different. So for us, it wasn't anything we needed to consider.
I'm sure others will have a wide degree of responses, but that was an option for us we didn't even price out.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I think the raised dinette in the 19 breaks down along two lines. ETI has done some raised ones that raise the whole area, including the floor, up. That works but some folks don't like a floor with two levels.

Others, like me, have raised only the seats. It really depends on your size if this is an option. For a short person it wouldn't work. The feet wouldn't be able to rest on the floor.

Our family is a democracy. So one of the seats is raised 2 1/2" and the other 3". Works for us. Makes the difference sometimes between the horizon being distant mountain tops or a nearby shoreline.

It should be noted that this mod is reversible and the seats could be restored to factory height if so desired in the future.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
13-10-2014 2-00-00 PM2_resize.jpg   13-10-2014 2-02-06 PM1_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:04 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
What modification does Escape have for raising the dinette? What do people think?
thanks
Bobo
If you search there is a whole thread on this. Also search for Hugh Currin in Kalamath falls who raise his and did a beautiful job.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:29 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
We raised ours . Felt like sitting in a hole . Remember Currin and I got a lot of grief for us changing our seating . Have never regretted this decision . At the time of our build didn't know Escape could raise floor .So we did it . Very easy . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 12:36 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I think the raised dinette in the 19 breaks down along two lines. ETI has done some raised ones that raise the whole area, including the floor, up. That works but some folks don't like a floor with two levels.

Others, like me, have raised only the seats. It really depends on your size if this is an option. For a short person it wouldn't work. The feet wouldn't be able to rest on the floor.

Ron
I like your solution, not raising the floor, but the seat area. Did ETI do the work or was this something you modded later?
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 12:43 AM   #7

It was something that I did later. Pretty simple mod. Just screwed 1 x 3 to existing frame and added oak facing to match the existing oak.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
15-09-2014 10-55-52 AM2rotated_resize.jpg  
Old 10-17-2015, 08:14 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
re: "Just screwed 1 x 3 to existing frame and added oak facing to match the existing oak."

Hmm, Ron, never thought much about it. I am used to a short-world (designed for people under 6 ft tall). So, being vertically unchallenged, your idea I must look into.
Attached Thumbnails
Rim04A.jpg  
Old 10-17-2015, 08:44 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Just remember that a normal chair height, like that of almost all kitchen chairs, is 18" to the seat, with the table at 30". Not only is this norm a good average for most people, it is what we expect, otherwise it feels like our plates are either too high, or two low, when we eat.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:21 AM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
If you order the dinette raised, it will raise the seats AND the floor. There won't be an issue for shorter people being able to reach the floor with their feet. Escape raises the benches but not the floor under them - just the floor where your feet go. We love the option because it gives a much better view out the windows, and it provides deeper storage. Can't speak to the pros/cons of raising the dinette after the build.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:59 AM   #11

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
thanks
Bobo
In my experience, it's much easier to have Escape raise the dinette during the build than to modify it later. The benches aren't too hard to raise, though getting the siding to look good is a challenge. Raising the floor in the dinette area is more of a project. For one thing, the electrical panel needs to be raised.

Whether to raise the dinette or not is personal. The only way to know if the sit in a 19 for a few minutes and think about the height. We found it uncomfortable and knew right off we'd have to raise it in our used 19.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
[I][COLOR=blue] So, being vertically unchallenged,
vertically unchallenged , that you are.

Again, what method of raising the dinette is mostly dependent on the height of the individuals sitting on the bench. I'm sure Myron could raise the seat several inches and still have his feet flat on the unraised floor.

Ron
Old 10-17-2015, 11:34 AM   #13

Currin found the electrical panel is fine right where it is . Just left a little opening in front . Never any heat build up at all . The little opening doesn't add any problems either . Decided to just leave it be . As for the platform good thing I did anyway . When I added my drawer under seat discovered for some reason my frame was cut at bottom and painted over . With the platform now do not need to worry bench would collapse from someone sitting . As for table height , the marine pedestal takes care of that . Pat
Old 10-17-2015, 06:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Currin found the electrical panel is fine right where it is . Just left a little opening in front . Never any heat build up at all . The little opening doesn't add any problems either . Decided to just leave it be .Pat
When I did the finish work on my raised dinette I did raise the electrical panel to the new floor level. I never had a heat problem with the small opening in front of it, but it was mucho difficult to clean the dirt and sand out of this cut out. And it just felt unfinished to leave it below floor level. Raising the panel is one difficulty in raising the dinette after production.

But, I did put in stronger cross members eliminating those 1x2 supports under the dinette. (I found these made packing difficult.) We also gained a drawer. WooHoo.

Thanks.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by currinh View Post
When I did the finish work on my raised dinette I did raise the electrical panel to the new floor level. I never had a heat problem with the small opening in front of it, but it was mucho difficult to clean the dirt and sand out of this cut out. And it just felt unfinished to leave it below floor level. Raising the panel is one difficulty in raising the dinette after production.

But, I did put in stronger cross members eliminating those 1x2 supports under the dinette. (I found these made packing difficult.) We also gained a drawer. WooHoo.

Thanks.
I know Currin saw you moved electrical panel . I don't know maybe because I have carpet on platform it doesn't seem to get dirty in there . When you say you elimated your 1x supports making packing difficult ? Does that have to do with your drawer ? Great idea by the way . Pat. . Currin do you have any pics ? I am thinking you put drawer in pedestal ?
Old 10-18-2015, 01:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I know Currin saw you moved electrical panel . I don't know maybe because I have carpet on platform it doesn't seem to get dirty in there . When you say you elimated your 1x supports making packing difficult ? Does that have to do with your drawer ? Great idea by the way . Pat. . Currin do you have any pics ? I am thinking you put drawer in pedestal ?
Pat: Sorry, I thought you were talking about my dinette. Now I see you mentioned mine but were talking about yours (with a cut out). Any pictures?

There are some pictures of mine at the end of my dinette thread, post #88. You can see the cross pieces I installed, allowing removal of ETI's vertical seat supports. Also the drawer placement over the existing door.

Thanks.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:56 PM   #17

raising dinette on 19'

Quote:
Originally Posted by currinh View Post
Pat: Sorry, I thought you were talking about my dinette. Now I see you mentioned mine but were talking about yours (with a cut out). Any pictures?

There are some pictures of mine at the end of my dinette thread, post #88. You can see the cross pieces I installed, allowing removal of ETI's vertical seat supports. Also the drawer placement over the existing door.

Thanks.
Hi Currinh . A few pictures . I found your pictures . Wow you took the benches apart . Saw the drawer too . Now understand what you mean about the supports . I may change the flooring under the table . I want to keep the section in back I keep my manuals in there . Now I am looking at the table maybe cut it down or make a new one . Still thinking . Really like your drawer . Really nice job . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
P1010007.jpg   IMG_0380.jpg   IMG_0396.jpg   IMG_0403.jpg  
Old 11-30-2016, 03:25 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 19’
Hi...we are working on our 19' build, we also want to maximize the view from the dinette while seated, we are average height 5'11" & 5'7" , how high did you have your dinette raised?
dan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 03:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan55 View Post
Hi...we are working on our 19' build, we also want to maximize the view from the dinette while seated, we are average height 5'11" & 5'7" , how high did you have your dinette raised?
We raised the dinette 3 1/2 in and also put a platform in at 3 1/2 in . Since then added 2 in foam to seat cushions to make more comfortable . We also have the springflied pedestal which can go up and down , so the added foam was really for comfort in the seating . Pat