Raising the bed off the floor of the 5.0 TA ?? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2020, 02:36 PM   #21

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0 TA currently in "The Build Queue"
I may have found one solution for those of us who are a bit challenged making a bed in any circumstances or restrictions.

Costly though it may be, this bedding may actually get my other half making the bed in our RV.

beddys.com

https://youtu.be/fIGA3jhnKjg
LaurieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:47 PM   #22

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieB View Post
Using a double flat sheet and comforter/duvet over the queen mattress makes perfect sense. We really only need enough to hang down the sides of the mattress instead of having it pillowing on the floor.
As long as the foot of the bed is tucked in, we would be golden.
Good solution.
Thanks again Ronn
Picture for reference
Attached Thumbnails
Mod Sweet Suites Counter Extension by Steps #1.jpg  
Old 06-09-2020, 05:50 PM   #23

For us the biggest challenge is making the bed the first time after washing the sheets. Normal morning routine is not so hard. The key as others have mentioned is to have everything tucked in at the bottom. As each of us get ready to rise, we pull the top sheet and quilt taunt on our side toward the front. Then the last person can fairly easily kneel with one knee on either side as they smooth everything out. Quilts tend to lay flat anyway so that makes a difference too.

When I first bought the 5.0 I planned on adding Ikea slats under it to add ventilation like we did on our 19'. But as it turns out, with the carpeted floor and air space all around, moisture has not been an issue. We are mindful of keeping the mattress pulled down tight toward the foot so there is a gap between the head and the front wall. Sometimes if conditions are right we get a little moisture on the pillows but not too much. They dry pretty quickly.

My wife made this quilt with wool batting instead of the traditional cotton. We also have a sleeping bag that opens flat for those really cold nights.
Attached Thumbnails
E65EA088-E6CF-4FA8-80A7-0D8153B95203.jpg  
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 06:27 PM   #24

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0 TA currently in "The Build Queue"
Thanks to everyone for your input and great advice.

Those look like perfectly made-up beds Ronn and Arnie ... Or ... Should I be congratulating your wives?!?
LaurieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 06:39 PM   #25

Quote:

Those look like perfectly made-up beds Ronn and Arnie ... Or ... Should I be congratulating your wives?!?
Sounds like Arnie can take some of the credit for a tidy bed, as for me, Colleen gets the credit.
Old 06-09-2020, 06:43 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
as it turns out, with the carpeted floor and air space all around, moisture has not been an issue. We are mindful of keeping the mattress pulled down tight toward the foot so there is a gap between the head and the front wall. Sometimes if conditions are right we get a little moisture on the pillows but not too much. They dry pretty quickly.
Our experience is very similar to yours. I noticed moisture at the front of the mattress once, so now we try to keep it pulled down toward the stairs a half inch or so. Haven't noticed any moisture since.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:23 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
Sounds like Arnie can take some of the credit for a tidy bed, as for me, Colleen gets the credit.
- Bremerton, WA
Old 06-09-2020, 08:26 PM   #28

Quote:

I generally make it the first time after laundry as part of prepping the trailer. (Paula is consumed with menu planning, provisioning.)

While camping, I usually am up first as I make the coffee so she makes the bed once coffee is ready and I have taken the morning chill off with the furnace.
- Bremerton, WA
Old 06-10-2020, 01:01 AM   #29

We have the twin beds, I believe they are 30" X 80". We keep them 4 or 5" from the walls and that leaves about 15" of space in the middle. Easy to exit without disturbing the other, easy to make the bed.

With the twin beds you will lose the cubbies but not the cabinets. The Escape mattresses are 8" deep. We found them uncomfortable so we added 3" memory foam toppers(Queen size cut in half with a bread knife). Adding the toppers has moved us that much closer to the cabinets, but it really hasn't been an issue. We don't seem to bump our heads. Width wise the 30" is no problem and quite comfortable, our old Roadtrek had 28" mattresses! Remember there is space on either side of the mattress for arms or shoulders to over hang.

Sheets and mattress covers were a bit of a challenge. We found some custom sized bedding on Amazon. It arrived at our door from India within four days of the order and is of good quality.
Mswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:11 AM   #30

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
We're still $$saving$$ and researching for our dream purchase of a 5.0 TA ... Or perhaps a much anticipated 25 foot fifth wheel from Escape ... A definite game changer in our household!

We currently own an older stick built fifth wheel, with a low loft bedroom.
It can 'just' accommodate a double bed on an Ikea bed frame. To say the least, making up this bed is an 'interesting process' in the confined space. On some of our muggier summer days, I compare it to doing hot yoga!

With that in mind, the only concern I really have about the 5.0 is the mattress lying on the loft floor. My husband doesn't actually worry about this because he never makes the bed: A scenario that will not likely change in the 5.0!

I've read in at least one forum about the difficulty of lifting the bed onto a frame, due to the height and slope of the ceiling, but wondered if this low profile (5" high) bed frame might work?

https://www.wayfair.ca/furniture/pdp...001309312.html

We're considering a double bed instead of a queen, which would give us some wiggle room to move it away from the front of the trailer. The weight of the double frame is approximately 25.5 lbs.

I would appreciate any comments or advice from current 5.0 owners.

🤔Not seeing any advantage here and a disadvantage for getting in and out, especially if you’re vertically challenged. And if you’re on the taller end of the human spectrum you may be uncomfortably close to the ceiling when sitting up.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:06 AM   #31

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
We use a Trailer-va-sak bed system, similar to sleeping bags with a winter and summer side. Thrown on top of a mattress cover it simplifies keeping the bed neat.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:34 AM   #32

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
We use a Trailer-va-sak bed system, similar to sleeping bags with a winter and summer side. Thrown on top of a mattress cover it simplifies keeping the bed neat.

We have had a Trava-sac system since the mid 90's and are still using it. We used it in our 2 hallmark campers, in our Arctic Fox 27-5L, and now in the 5,0TA. We have found it easy to use and no downside. We place a fitted sheet on the mattress for color and just toss the Trava-sac on top.
It is essentially 2 different weight sleeping bags zipped together. Summer side up or Winter side up your choice. It has a one piece sheet that Velcro's to the inside of the bag and can be removed for washing. The entire bag can be washed too if your machine in large enough.
They have sold out to another company but they still have sheets available.

RVSuperbag.com

HarleyD
2018 5.0TA
2016 Fi5o 3.5 Ecoboost
HarleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:33 AM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
For us the biggest challenge is making the bed the first time after washing the sheets. Normal morning routine is not so hard. The key as others have mentioned is to have everything tucked in at the bottom. As each of us get ready to rise, we pull the top sheet and quilt taunt on our side toward the front. Then the last person can fairly easily kneel with one knee on either side as they smooth everything out. Quilts tend to lay flat anyway so that makes a difference too.

When I first bought the 5.0 I planned on adding Ikea slats under it to add ventilation like we did on our 19'. But as it turns out, with the carpeted floor and air space all around, moisture has not been an issue. We are mindful of keeping the mattress pulled down tight toward the foot so there is a gap between the head and the front wall. Sometimes if conditions are right we get a little moisture on the pillows but not too much. They dry pretty quickly.

My wife made this quilt with wool batting instead of the traditional cotton. We also have a sleeping bag that opens flat for those really cold nights.
Hi: arniesea... You can do what we did, and add a small dia. cheap pool noodle to the space at the head of the bed. Lay it on the floor so it stops the mattress from shifting forward!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:05 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mswan View Post
We have the twin beds, I believe they are 30" X 80". We keep them 4 or 5" from the walls and that leaves about 15" of space in the middle. Easy to exit without disturbing the other, easy to make the bed.

With the twin beds you will lose the cubbies but not the cabinets. The Escape mattresses are 8" deep. We found them uncomfortable so we added 3" memory foam toppers(Queen size cut in half with a bread knife). Adding the toppers has moved us that much closer to the cabinets, but it really hasn't been an issue. We don't seem to bump our heads. Width wise the 30" is no problem and quite comfortable, our old Roadtrek had 28" mattresses! Remember there is space on either side of the mattress for arms or shoulders to over hang.

Sheets and mattress covers were a bit of a challenge. We found some custom sized bedding on Amazon. It arrived at our door from India within four days of the order and is of good quality.
Thanks for answering that concern Murray, I imagine it is like the short lower step, we each missed it once (actually more than just a bump) but now we seem to have adjusted and find it is not a problem for us at all. BUT I can't say the same for the door, I seem to bump my head at least once every trip. My theory doesn't seem to hold water in that case - maybe I just need to hit it harder for it to get ingrained.
Old 06-10-2020, 11:17 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: arniesea... You can do what we did, and add a small dia. cheap pool noodle to the space at the head of the bed. Lay it on the floor so it stops the mattress from shifting forward!!! Alf
Thanks Alf for adding this to my to do list. Great solution as the mattress tends to move forward as we travel.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:58 PM   #36

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
BUT I can't say the same for the door, I seem to bump my head at least once every trip. My theory doesn't seem to hold water in that case - maybe I just need to hit it harder for it to get ingrained.
My dad in his 70's and 80's always had scabs on the top of his head. I bought him a hard hat. Fast forward 30 years and guess what?

Yup, that door keeps teaching me the same thing, over and over again! I'm waiting for my son to buy me that hard hat.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 06-10-2020, 02:34 PM   #37

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
My dad in his 70's and 80's always had scabs on the top of his head. I bought him a hard hat. Fast forward 30 years and guess what?

Yup, that door keeps teaching me the same thing, over and over again! I'm waiting for my son to buy me that hard hat.

Enjoy,

Perry
Hi: Perryb67... It all comes down to one word..."DUCK"!!! Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 02:50 PM   #38

Quote:
- Bremerton, WA
Old 06-10-2020, 02:52 PM   #39

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Some people will say that is "using your noodle"............
Old 06-10-2020, 02:56 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post

Enjoy,

Perry
I installed a new bathroom fan in my attic and had quite a few bumps on my knoggen when i was done. I purchased a "Bump" cap from Ergodyne. It is for light industrial and looks like a baseball cap. https://www.ergodyne.com/skullerz-8950-bump-cap.html
Much lighter and more stylish than a hard hat.
- Bremerton, WA