Range Hood - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2016, 12:05 AM   #101

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Might be worth getting some pre-install pictures from one of the folks that's about to install one.
Go to the link below. This particular distributor apparently gave $20 off in exchange for documenting the installation. Many good pictures throughout.

http://www.rvvent.com/sam-1installation.htm
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:25 AM   #102

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
If the MaxxFan and bathroom exhaust fan are on at the same time, you need to make sure there are enough open windows. The other fans are more powerful and will try to pull air back from the kitchen fan vent as soon as it opens. Also wind direction may affect how well the kitchen fan works if other fans are also exhausting air.
Agreed,
We always run the MaxxFan on intake and also have the kitchen window cracked open to increase the exaust air flow
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 03:06 PM   #103

Trailer: Escape 17A 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
Removed it and installed an LED light. My main objection was that it protruded so far that it blocked the sight lines to rear burners. Some type of thermal barrier to protect the underside of the cabinet is a good idea, but I haven't done it.
What remains after removing hood? A big hole? Must you fill it in with something? Can someone post a picture? Thx
annieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 03:11 PM   #104

Trailer: Escape 17A 2020
Is there a hole left when you take out the hood?
annieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 03:59 PM   #105
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Yes. It leaves a large rectangular hole on the wall of the trailer. The hole is for the vent. You don't want to take out the range hood and vent after delivery, unless you're replacing it with something else. If you don't want a range hood, have them remove it from the build. No hole.
Old 02-06-2022, 11:50 AM   #106

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Although I've never understood why folks would do away with the range hood when cooking in a confined space, , you have two options if you purchase a used Escape with a hood already installed.

One, simply remove the hood and leave the exterior vent in place. You could make a simple cover for the interior hole in the wall. You could even make a hinged cover that would allow for passive venting.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 02:29 PM   #107

Trailer: 2012 E19
Posts 2, 11, 15, and 91 in this thread appear to offer the best reasons for not having a range hood. I guess since the hood is now standard and I doubt any credit is offered for deletion, I'll get one when I order. I just hope it's not in the way of my noggin (I'm 5'8") when I try to look inside the kettle to see how things are doing. I supremely hate hitting my head; the impact seems to cause bad words to escape through the orifice.
Old 02-06-2022, 02:30 PM   #108

Trailer: 2020 E19 "Escape Haven"
Quote:
Originally Posted by annieo View Post
Is there a hole left when you take out the hood?
When you take out the hood there are wires above and a hole in the back wall

This an example of what you can do if you choose to remove the hood...
  1. We attached a strip of galvanized sheet metal to the bottom of the overhead cabinet.
  2. We used the existing hood wiring to install a dimmable RV dome light over stove.
  3. We placed an aluminum soffit vent over the hole left in the back wall. The vent was easy to cut to size with tin snips.
When cooking we open the kitchen window slightly and turn on the Maxx fan. We had done this previously in our Casita and now in our Escape.

For us, it has worked well. ;-)

Why did we decided to take out the hood? Two reasons...
  1. Because we are both tall (5'9" and 6'), the hood was an obstruction.
  2. We wanted better task lighting over the stove. The light we installed adjusts from very bright to a soft dim.
Soffit Vent link => https://www.homedepot.com/p/Air-Vent...24MF/308306213
Dimmable RV light link => https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
Attached Thumbnails
Escape kitchen with outside vent.jpg  
OneCentHillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 02:40 PM   #109

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
In my 17B, the range hood is against the bath wall and side of the trailer. I'd have to dance on the stove top to bump my head.
I often forget to open the vent and end up setting off the smoke alarm by simply boiling water for coffee.
Attached Thumbnails
Knife storage.jpg  
Old 02-06-2022, 07:09 PM   #110

Trailer: 2018 19'
I deleted the range hood from my build yet it was installed. Finally removed it & put reflectix in the the vent hole, installed a backsplash & dimmable light. Much better for me. Love that light.
Old 02-06-2022, 07:28 PM   #111

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Just took delivery of my 21C in Dec, no range hood but two Maxx fans love them more open look
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 07:01 AM   #112

Trailer: 2021 21NE
I keep bumping my head on the hood. It isn't so bad when I contact the edge but when I hit the corner it sucks. The edges are fairly sharp but the corners are sharp and a little jagged.

I keep thinking of a way to make the edges and corners not so injurious without making them goofy looking.
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 07:12 AM   #113

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Neither one of us has ever hit our heads on a hood fan in 14 years of owning an Escape or even with previous trailers. I even have trouble seeing how that would happen as we never put our heads directly over the burners.

We like the good light the LEDs in it gives off and the fact smoke and grease go directly up and out.

Having removed many dozens of used fans in kitchen renos I have seen the crud that clings to the fan when exhausting. Not keen on dragging that across the ceiling and onto the surface of the MaxxFan.

Is kinda how we think and do stuff. [emoji16]
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 07:46 AM   #114

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Neither one of us has ever hit our heads on a hood fan in 14 years of owning an Escape or even with previous trailers. I even have trouble seeing how that would happen as we never put our heads directly over the burners.

Having removed many dozens of used fans in kitchen renos I have seen the crud that clings to the fan when exhausting. Not keen on dragging that across the ceiling and onto the surface of the MaxxFan.
You don't have to put your head directly over the burners to hit the corners. Just because it doesn't happen to you doesn't mean it shouldn't happen to others. We're all different! Read here and the Facebook Escape Travel Trailers Group to find others who do have this problem.

At first we placed baby table bumpers on the two corners, but we still hit our heads. I finally removed our loud, poor suction hood with a joke for a light. I then installed a powerful, dual LED light so Terry has no problem seeing when cooking. Since Day One we've used our Maxxfan when cooking because that hood fan could not remove all the cooking smells and especially the moisture. Others have said the same.

We don't cook bacon or other greasy foods in our Escape, so have no problem with crud above our stovetop. After three years and over 400 nights camping (including nights at our seasonal RV site) the top of the range hood was not greasy when I removed it last summer. OTOH, as implied earlier, we don't eat greasy foods, so if one does, the range hood would be helpful.

On the Escape Travel Trailers Group someone posted about their replacement range hood that does not stick out from the cabinets. If we needed a range hood that is the replacement hood I would choose.

We do have a Sam-1 fan/light that's been sitting on a shelf for the past couple of years that has never been opened. Perhaps some day I'll decide to open the package and see if it will fit in a similar narrow depth hood.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 02-07-2022, 08:05 AM   #115

Thanks Perry67 - The link you provided is a good solution. One other thing I discovered is that if I turn the MaxFan on with the fan sucking air into the trailer when cooking, this helps push the hot air out the stove vent. The trailer doesn't seem to get as warm when cooking.
Old 02-07-2022, 08:06 AM   #116

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Yep, I guess I need go where an opinion is allowed. It seems only a select few have that right here now. Gone are the good ol' days. Sheesh.....
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 08:24 AM   #117

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Haven’t bumped it, but did put bumpers on it. Those corners are very sharp. We use the fan and it works well for us.
Old 02-07-2022, 08:39 AM   #118

Randy & Barb, what bumpers did you put on the hood corners.
Thanks, Bob
Old 02-07-2022, 09:45 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG View Post
Randy & Barb, what bumpers did you put on the hood corners.
Thanks, Bob
Don't know about Randy & Barb, but we just went into the baby section of Target and purchased table bumpers.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 02-07-2022, 09:50 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Yep, I guess I need go where an opinion is allowed. It seems only a select few have that right here now. Gone are the good ol' days. Sheesh.....
And in the good ol' days we were also allowed to have a differing opinion. There are NO select few here, including you and I, that are immune from opposing opinions and never have been. Just look at my SiO2 battery thread.

I also gave options for those needing a vent, but not wanting to hit their heads.

Enjoy,

Perry