Range Hood - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2016, 01:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
Range Hood

We are currently working on our build sheet for a 19. Thoughts concerning having or not having a range hood. Anyone wish they didn't get it or decided not to get it but in hindsight wished they had. Decisions, decisions. Thanks a million.
mcdonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:32 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Didn't get one in this trailer. In the last one the vent broke 3 times, the fan was too noisy and very low power, and the light was subpar. After talking it over with folks here I've determined the vent is better in the Escape so that should not be an issue.

If you plan on cooking indoors a lot then it might be a good thing to have just for venting purposes. For us the Maxxfan is more then sufficient.

We're good not having it. Gave me a place to put up the paper towel rack.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
We have it and I am glad; but, we live in Texas, where it is "summertime" for at least six months of the year. I cook outside or use the mickeywave as much as possible, but the other day I needed to heat something on the stove and the vent hood fan helped! (We were at Davis Mtns SP, in far western Texas, with afternoon temps of 95F.) YMMV. You may not camp in the same kind of weather we sometimes do.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Have, use it- especially during rainy weather. Helps shed moisture.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
We didn't get it and have an extra Led light in it's place. We use "waterless" cookware with low heat and the max fan is more than sufficient for us. We love the clean look and not having to deal with an outside vent. Glade omitted it!
Old 06-27-2016, 03:08 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonner View Post
We are currently working on our build sheet for a 19. Thoughts concerning having or not having a range hood. Anyone wish they didn't get it or decided not to get it but in hindsight wished they had. Decisions, decisions. Thanks a million.
Do you use the range hood when cooking at home?
We use ours when cooking in the trailer to get rid of moisture.

Cheers
Doug
Old 06-27-2016, 03:13 PM   #7

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
We didn't get it and have an extra Led light in it's place. We use "waterless" cookware with low heat and the max fan is more than sufficient for us. We love the clean look and not having to deal with an outside vent. Glade omitted it!
What is "waterless" cookware?
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:14 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Boiling water will set off the smoke alarm.
So, I set the Maxxfan to exit.
We do little cooking inside and I rarely have opened the vent when setting up.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:34 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
What is "waterless" cookware?
Triple wall stainless cookware. I bought this set of Amway cookware for my mom in 1973. You add a little water to whatever meat (or fish, etc.) that you are cooking. When the lid starts "vibrating," you turn the heat down. We have used it in the trailer since we got it and it does a great job without adding a lot of moisture to the trailer.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:51 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
We got it, and really glad we did. The fan is noisy, but is very powerful. It pulls out all the moisture when cooking or boiling. I have been outside, by the vent when Debbie is boiling water and was surprised by the warmth and moistness of the exhaust.
We keep the vent open all the time when not in transit. It adds an extra and secure source of cross-venting for condensation.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:53 PM   #11

Trailer: 2012 Escape 5.0
We have the range hood. Never use the light -- too dim, so use the light over the sink instead. Rarely use the fan, too noisy, very ineffective, and often need to run outside to open the vent because we always forget! When needed, we usually just turn on the maxfan.

We added a toggle switch to the smoke detector and only turn it at night.
shrncnddck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:59 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
If you eliminate the range hood and use the roof fan to eliminate moisture and cooking fumes are you not just dragging these contaminates through your trailer ?. What protects the bottom of the cabinet that sits above the cooktop from moisture and grease.
Why is noise an issue ? I am usually wide awake when cooking .
If the elimination of the range hood is for aesthetic reasons , do we not have function following form. I guess the logic of this mod escapes me.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:07 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
We omitted the range hood and opted for an extra light over the stove and an extra Maxx fan in place of the air conditioner. With both fans set to slow speed exhaust we have no moisture build-up. Greasy or smokey foods get cooked outside on the grill - very much like we do at home. However, there were some 100+ F days in Texas where I would have killed for an air conditioner. But most of the time we enjoy the extra visual space and the lack of a "head knocker".

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:12 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Well, that settles it then.
You need two range hoods.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:35 PM   #15

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
We did not get it (this is our first trailer). Very happy with the decision since it really opens up that space. Maxxfan works great for moisture and heat and we cook all the smelly and greasy foods outside. The Can Cooker Jr. works great inside and doesn't put out a large amount of moisture.

https://www.amazon.com/CanCooker-Can...6TH5AQFFDMDP50
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:53 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Had it in our Casita and never used it and wanted it removed from there but never got around to it. Deleted it from the Escape and like the clean look much better. We don't cook inside much so the Maxx fan does all the exhausting we need.

Its kind of like I could never understand who would want a 3 burner stove to take up more counter space and who would ever have 3 burners going at a time but I have a friend who swears that he does. I could not take the odors in the camper.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 06-27-2016, 05:29 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
"...What protects the bottom of the cabinet that sits above the cooktop from moisture and grease?"

And, subsequent mold in the cabinet. Who doesn't at the very least boil water for their Melita??
Old 06-27-2016, 05:35 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I'm thinking seriously about leaving it out on a 19 I'm slowly looking at options. The only time I use it in my 17 is when I'm making toast & the smoke alarm still goes off - it ends up under the pillows on the bed. I do almost all my cooking outside...
Old 06-27-2016, 05:38 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
It's a range hood. They're noisy. The one in our house is noisy too. But, it's good to have when cooking inside. Very effective at reducing moisture when boiling water too. Concerning the light being too dim, that's easily fixed with an LED replacement bulb.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:48 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape
Removed it and installed an LED light. My main objection was that it protruded so far that it blocked the sight lines to rear burners. Some type of thermal barrier to protect the underside of the cabinet is a good idea, but I haven't done it.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote