Rearview camera project - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2021, 02:48 PM   #1
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
Rearview camera project

I had researched rearview cameras so that I could see vehicles behind our trailer as we travel on the road. The cost for these systems seemed very unreasonable and I really did not want a dedicated display on my dash taking up room.

My solution was to build a simple Raspberry Pi 0 W micro computer with a camera. Total cost about $40-$45. There are lots of folks developing software for download for the Pi. I used https://elinux.org/RPi-Cam-Web-Interface for the camera interface and configured the Raspberry Pi as an WIFI access point. Now the tow vehicle passenger can look at a phone and see what is behind the trailer. I added some suction cups to the case to stick the Raspberry Pi on the read window and it is powered from a common USB battery block like an Anker battery block (https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCo...8775014&sr=8-4) that I had on-hand.
Attached Thumbnails
20210418_100854.jpg  
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 03:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Nice
Some more photos might be in order as well. I’ve used a cheap Costco backup camera that sticks magnetically to the number but the range is right on the verge. I also am considering a ubiquity camera and a low power access point from my in trailer WiFi I use to connect to campground access points with a bridge
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:02 PM   #3
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Nice
Some more photos might be in order as well. I’ve used a cheap Costco backup camera that sticks magnetically to the number but the range is right on the verge. I also am considering a ubiquity camera and a low power access point from my in trailer WiFi I use to connect to campground access points with a bridge
Attached is a photo through the (dirty) back window of our Escape 19: The color is a bit off (yellowish?), but for a $10 camera module, not bad and quite functional. I can adjust the hue, but I have not bothered. The Pi was build head-less; i.e., no monitor or keyboard required; just a push-button to turn on and off. If you want details on my built, PM me.

Pic of inside Pi case.
Attached Thumbnails
im_0002_20201025_021053.jpg  
Attached Images

MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:01 AM   #4

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Always-On Wireless Rear View Camera

I will probably go with this "mirror" add-on from Holoview:
https://www.haloview.com/haloview-wi...hcam-mc10.html

The wireless rearview observation mirror dashcam system has a front-facing camera and a waterproof exterior rear-facing camera that looks perfect for any vehicle where rear visibility is obscured!
The display "straps" over the existing rear-view mirror; the rear camera goes where you need it and the rearview mirror monitor gets power from a cigarette lighter power outlet.
It records video (or takes still-shots) and has good night vision (infrared, baby!) from the rear-facing camera.
. . . and no gigantic extra monitor to clutter up the dash of a brand-new truck!

What say ye , fellas?
Elowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:05 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raicilla View Post
I will probably go with this "mirror" add-on from Holoview:
https://www.haloview.com/haloview-wi...hcam-mc10.html

The wireless rearview observation mirror dashcam system has a front-facing camera and a waterproof exterior rear-facing camera that looks perfect for any vehicle where rear visibility is obscured!
The display "straps" over the existing rear-view mirror; the rear camera goes where you need it and the rearview mirror monitor gets power from a cigarette lighter power outlet.
It records video (or takes still-shots) and has good night vision (infrared, baby!) from the rear-facing camera.
. . . and no gigantic extra monitor to clutter up the dash of a brand-new truck!

What say ye , fellas?
I had 2 different versions of the combined mirror/monitor from the Tady Brothers, and both provided very poor contrast (as a monitor). No idea how well this version works...
Old 04-19-2021, 01:04 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
I got one of those that are supposed to mount to your rear view mirror. TOO big and clunky!!
So it now sits in a wood cradle on the corner of my dash, and works well. I have hard-wired a rear camera that is mounted inside the rear window of our Escape. If you're in to DIY, here's what I did:
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...all-17641.html
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote