Reclaiming Truck Cargo Space - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-21-2021, 03:22 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Reclaiming Truck Cargo Space

Hey Guys:

I have been lamenting the loss of storage space in the flat bed of the truck. There are a number of items I would like to transport in the flat bed, and until now I did not feel good about doing it. I worry about things flying out of the bed of the truck at highway speeds.

Mostly I carry firewood and fire tools back there along with my Solo Stove. I would like to put a scooter back there along with the Anderson landing gear red platforms. They are round and do not attach to anything. So it is hard to store them.

Below the trailer, behind the king pin, in front of the tail gate, is great storage space but I am concerned that nothing is really captured. Although the space is quiet and nothing seems to move, I still like everything tied down. I want to put a big bin back there and let my wife fill it with her stuff.

So I bought a cargo net and additional mounts for the Tundra rail system. All of it fits under the tonneau cover and firmly attaches to the rail system. I have more attachment sites now then I ever had, which is very welcome.

I was able to pin down the netting below the king pin so nothing is close to the ball.

Since I carry firewood and other asymmetrical gear back there, I also attached a fine mesh net to the cargo net which should stop any stray firewood or Anderson platforms from ejecting.

I welcome any comments including critical ones. The netting weighs about 15 pounds. It has good attachment sites and I am thinking about adding a shovel.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
cargo-netting-1.jpg   cargo-netting-2.jpg   cargo-netting-3.jpg  
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 04:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
That netting is a good idea. I carry a lot of firewood, generally smaller lighter pieces, and while I have never had any blow out of the truck (that I know of....) there are always a few pieces that blow around and start bouncing and rattling in the very back when we're driving.
Old 03-21-2021, 05:11 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
The only thing I have ever had blow out of the back of the truck while towing my 5.0TA was a lid for a 5 gallon Home Depot bucket which I was carrying a 1-gallon propane cylinder in, and only because I failed to snap it on.

I typically transport heavy items in the cargo bed. I slip a ladder under the saddle tool box in front of the hitch. Two camp chairs in their bags go parallel to and in front of the tail gate between it and the hitch. A 20-lbs. propane cylinder in a milk crate is strapped to the tailgate through its slots (I have a Stromberg Carlson 5th Wheel tailgate) to keep it from tipping and/or sliding, and a cooler filled with water bottles and ice on the side opposite from the propane tank. If I’m taking my Clam Shelter, it goes lengthwise on one side of the hitch. Due to firewood restrictions, I infrequently transport firewood, but have plenty of space on the other side of the hitch. No kids or pets mean I can transport a Weber grill in a tote, tool bag, 12 v air compressor in the back seat. I do, however, have a fold up cargo carrier on the back of the trailer and a small cargo net/assorted straps so I could quickly and easily free up the back seat for passengers. And if I absolutely need to bring my Honda EU2000i, I have a locking base on a custom made stinger (local metal shop) that can be locked into the truck’s receiver. I can honestly say there is nothing I may want that I do not have space for. If I were big on bicycling or kayaking, that would be a problem.
Old 03-21-2021, 11:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
that cargo net is a great idea!!
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:41 AM   #5

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
I have been running a rope thru all the various things that are in the bed of our truck.
I like the net idea- much neater and covers everything.

Good idea.
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote