Recommended options for 17' plan A - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2017, 11:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 15' Escape
Question Recommended options for 17' plan A

We are looking at the 17ft Escape trailer with the no bathroom floor plan. Use of the trailer would include on and off the grid camping, much of it in the northwest. We are two women with compromised backs that want to keep camping but come from a backpacking, rafting sensibility of keeping it simple. My question is what options do you experienced folks rate as highly desirable? Already planning on the foot flush toilet and exterior shower ;-) Thanking you in advance for your suggestions. Mgmlark
Mgmlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgmlark View Post
We are looking at the 17ft Escape trailer with the no bathroom floor plan.
Quote:
Already planning on the foot flush toilet and exterior shower ;-)

Ummmmm...
Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:20 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
17A choices

Quote:
We are looking at the 17ft Escape trailer with the no bathroom floor plan. Use of the trailer would include on and off the grid camping, much of it in the northwest. We are two women with compromised backs that want to keep camping but come from a backpacking, rafting sensibility of keeping it simple. My question is what options do you experienced folks rate as highly desirable? Already planning on the foot flush toilet and exterior shower ;-) Thanking you in advance for your suggestions. Mgmlark
Jean,
We have a 2015 17A (no bathroom plan). That means there is no toilet. We have a porta-potty that resides in a cabinet under the bed. In the front end of the Escape 17A is a full-time queen bed (The 8" mattress is super-comfortable and good on my back.). In the back is the dinette, that seats four, and makes up into a bed for two.
To get an exterior shower, you will also have to get the hot water heater and tank options.
When we want a shower, we go to a campground equipped with one..

"compromised backs" sounds like my back. The only things that I have to watch and do carefully are lifting the porta-potty to empty it, and take it slow when cranking the tongue jack. The electric jack is probably a good option for you.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:26 AM   #4

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrules View Post
Ummmmm...
........What The?

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:11 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Quote:
First option is going to be changing to the 17B if you want a foot-flush toilet and exterior shower.
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:19 AM   #6

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Did not know ETI builds the 13 again.............?
Old 04-03-2017, 01:47 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfree View Post
First option is going to be changing to the 17B if you want a foot-flush toilet and exterior shower.
I have an 17A ... no bathroom ... but have an exterior shower. It is an option for the 17A. It seems like you are ordering twice: You'll want a two way water heater (110V electric and propane) and then additionally you order a hot water heater with an outside heater ... two separate charges. Its a bit confusing.

With the 17A you get a permanet near queen bed and a convertible table. Table can be made into a bed or left up as table. My table is up all the time and I like the 'extra space'.

With the 17B and two people you probably will need to make up the table as a bed nightly. I chose the "A" plan so I could come home and fall exhausted into bed with a smile on my face from all the fun I have had all day. .... Besides I wanted to be an "A - lister"

There is a very nice 15A for sale on this forum.

Tom
Old 04-03-2017, 07:22 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
With the back issues are you planning on using two beds or one?

Really, the lack of a bathroom would be a deal killer for us. You trade a larger dinette in the front (52 inches wide) for a bathroom and a 30 inch wide dinette.

If I am reading the brochure right, the rear dinette/bed is the same size regardless.

Now if you plan to use both dinettes as a bed, the front one is certainly on the narrow side, but a lot wider than the 24 inch twins we had in our Casita.

I used to live in the PNW, there is a tendency to not get A/C due to the mild summers. Don't skimp! Some of my favorite camping in WA State was in eastern WA, come summer you will need A/C. And my favorite camping anywhere is southern UT: Zion National Park, Capital Reef, etc. Other than Bryce Canyon, all of them benefit from A/C. I make a trip out to UT every year even though I live in NC (and I am not mormon).

Get all the extra interior captain lights you can ever think of. Reading in bed, reading in the dinette, etc.

Storage box up front is a must. External propane hookup is very handy. Windows in bath and kitchen are nice. Exterior access hatch. Removable power cord. Easy to spend someone else's money but many of the options are worth considering.

That 17A in Lacey is still up on C/L. I would check it out, as missing an entire camping season is a bummer.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:04 AM   #9

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
For off grid camping I would suggest to get the solar panel with dual batteries.
How your trailer will be equipped will all depend on your way of camping and on your wallet.
Ask yourselves questions like: where and how will I prepare food, outside or inside, do I need a hairdryer everyday, where will I be reading my books, how do I make my coffee, do I want to bake, do I like to sit outside in the evening, what am I going to do when it rains, .....
We can all come up with suggestions, but every one has their own preference.
Questions like these can help you with "building " YOUR trailer.
The way you see yourself camping determines what you need.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:00 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Jean,
Here is our 17A build summary, with the one-year-later update, containing our reasoning. Hopefully, there's info you can use:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...ater-8933.html
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:41 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Sounds as if you want a bathroom, which as pointed out by Skyfree, is Plan B. Do not know if you have seen the various Escape models but I highly suggest that you do so at a rally, or by visiting owners in your area who will gladly show you theirs. You might even go to Chilliwack since you are in the general region. Perhaps you have already seen other models. For two women, you might decide that you want another model. We have a lot of people moving to a second Escape after their first. Some of the current Escapes have not been around long and you have the benefit of seeing the new generation and the classics.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:55 PM   #12

Trailer: 17
I don't know what its doing there but there is a 13 footer sitting on their lot right now.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:00 PM   #13

if you were talking about the Seattle 15 A, I'm buying it!
Old 04-03-2017, 11:09 PM   #14

thanks. Great suggestions👍🏻

Tags
options, recommendations