Refrigerator Baffle - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2020, 03:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Refrigerator Baffle

I seem to recall reading threads where members constructed an air dam around the refrigerator’s burner so that the propane flame wouldn’t be subject to wind when traveling. I’ve spent 45 minutes searching for a thread that discusses flame blow out and how to prevent it, but to no avail. Maybe I am imagining it, but if anyone remembers this thread (or threads) and can point me toward them, it would be appreciated. For the last few years I have been using a layer of A/C filter on the inside of the hatch/grate, but it is getting rather dirty and decrepit and should be replaced. If there is an easier way to prevent flame out from air currents, I’m all ears. If you have addressed this issue with a barrier around the burner, please PM me. A photo(s) would be even more help. At this point, I am thinking a 5-inch high by 7” wide aluminum “wall” just in front of the burner might deflect the swirling winds enough “protect” the flame. I do not think it would stop normal airflow or venting, as the Texas fan on the refrigerator would come on at a certain temperature. Thank, everyone.
Old 10-19-2020, 04:17 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...s-10336-2.html
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...-out-1247.html
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...way-17072.html
Old 10-19-2020, 04:24 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I don't have pictures, or the trailer any more but I'll give explaining it a try. First I used a piece of wire fridge filter cut to the size of the access cover. Helped but didn't cure the issue. I then cut a piece of flashing about 8" x 6", bent over the 6" side 90 degrees leaving one side about an inch and the other about 5". I then taped it in place with a couple strips of duct tape. It's at a bit of an angle to block the wind from the fire box. It's 2 or 3" away from it. I had no issues after doing so.
Old 10-19-2020, 04:27 PM   #4

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ir-4375-8.html
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...road-1711.html
Old 10-19-2020, 04:28 PM   #5

I remember cutting strips of furnace filter (non flammable) and attaching them to the vent openings to cut down on turbulence. But these threads address the issue also....
Old 10-19-2020, 06:10 PM   #6

Jim and Bob, Thanks!
Old 10-19-2020, 07:47 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
This is how I applied two pieces of roof flashing, 89 cents each. It works very well to prevent flame out when driving. The exception I have found is when a cross wind is blowing directly into the refrigerator outside access door.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2444.JPG   IMG_2445.JPG  
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:16 PM   #8

Thanks, Paul. After reading Bob’s solution and seeing that you did something similar, I think I will try the same. I have a 7” square piece of aluminum in the garage. I think I will bend a 1-1/2” strip along one side to 90° which will result in a 5-1/2” high by 1-1/2” structure essentially shaped like the letter “L” that is 7” wide. I think I can attach it to the floor of the refrigerator compartment with industrial strength Velcro, making it easy to remove for refrigerator maintenance while eliminating the need for fresh duct tape each time I remove it.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:10 AM   #9

That Velcro can be tough to pull apart, hope the aluminum you have is fairly thick. Check the bottom of the fridge compartment, mine was fairly thin plastic that would pull up some just removing duct tape, it may not hold up to pulling apart Velcro.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:12 AM   #10

Bob, it’s 1/8” aluminum. I bent it to 90° this morning and applied Velcro to the bottom, and the mating strip to the refrigerator bottom. Because the bend is rounded, it seems to come out easily by “rocking” it along the bend and I really didn’t notice any flexing in the plastic floor. I just hope that it will work well. I won’t know for a month. I have a 4-daycamping trip in November.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:28 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Credit for this solution should go to elongest, forum member. Efforts were tried with furnace filters, closed cell foam and Dometic designed flame guards, this seems the best of the lot.

When parked on hot days I remove the baffle(s) and turn on the Texas fan. My particular fan never came on by itself due to a design flaw in the thermistor. I removed the thermistor and installed a switch in the outside refrigerator access area.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 11:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Credit for this solution should go to elongest, forum member. Efforts were tried with furnace filters, closed cell foam and Dometic designed flame guards, this seems the best of the lot.

When parked on hot days I remove the baffle(s) and turn on the Texas fan. My particular fan never came on by itself due to a design flaw in the thermistor. I removed the thermistor and installed a switch in the outside refrigerator access area.
I have added a fan in the refrigerator compartment and it is plugged into a remote controlled outlet that is plugged into a greenhouse accessory that allows power to flow at 78° F. The remote control is attached with Velcro (I use a lot of Velcro) to the inside of a cabinet door next to the refrigerator. The remote control allows me to turn the fan off when I have the trailer in storage at home, where it is plugged into shore power. Actually, the furnace filter material worked well for me but as I stated above, it needs to be replaced and it took me a long time to fit and attach it the first time, lime a little over an hour to get it just right. Should the aluminum baffle work well, the need for periodic furnace filter material replacement will be eliminated.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:47 PM   #13

Trailer: 19 Escape, arrived March 2021
I just made a barrier shield from folded tinfoil to protect the flame on my Dometic fridge. Mine works great on both propane and A/C when I’m parked, but blows out when driving. I hope this tinfoil helps. We’re heading home to Kansas tomorrow and would like to have a functioning fridge while driving through Texas and OK heat.
thunderworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:51 PM   #14

It should be noted that these 'Flame out" issues were occurring with early 1stG Escapes all the way to 2016 when the molds were changed and the refrigerators were changed. Since then I do not this the issue is prevalent.
Old 10-20-2020, 04:29 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
It should be noted that these 'Flame out" issues were occurring with early 1stG Escapes

Hasn't been an issue with my 2009 17B with Dometic 2510 fridge.
Old 10-20-2020, 04:48 PM   #16

The big culprits were the RMX855X.