removable 30a cord choices - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2017, 09:30 AM   #21

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Just wondering, what is the advantage of having a detachable power cord? I find that shoving the cord into the mouse hole and snapping the cover shut pretty is pretty convenient compared to coiling up the cord and and stowing it somewhere else in the trailer or tow vehicle.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:34 AM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by etuna View Post
Just wondering, what is the advantage of having a detachable power cord?
This question has been debated many times on the forum. See here: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...cord-8458.html

Forum members are in one camp or the other. As for me, I've had the connected power cord and opted for the removable one on my Escape...wouldn't go back for all the tea in China.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:40 AM   #23

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Tim, the Furrion KIT includes an adapter plate. Covers the existing hole, uses the same screw holes. No drilling or other mods required. There's not even any caulk required, as was used with the original mouse hole, because a foam gasket is also included that seals the adapter plate. The hardest part of the install is removing all the factory caulk.

If you go with the Furrion, make sure it's the FCKIT-30PS. They sell the receptacles and the cord adapters separately also, but the kit has everything needed.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
looking at the pic one might easily see the difference inside of the Furion versus the Conntek. The Conntek has some small open spaces all the way thru the connector to the back that will allow water to pass thru if it gets inside the connector, which has been posted by one user of the Conntek on this forum when the cord was in it and the hatch open. The Furion has white plastic all the way around the receptacle part inside perhaps sealing it better and would help eliminate this possibility.
This camper if having Escape do it at build time would ship the Furion kit to Escape and have them install it thus not needing the adapter plate and get it done right IMHO the first time. The other advantage of course is the Furion kit provides a metal box for the inside of the fiberglass hull to mount the connector to providing probably a much more rigid mounting than the Conntek mounted to just the 1/8" fiberglass with no inside backing to provide rigidity and a tighter clamp seal on the outside.
just an opinion..YMMV
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 01:41 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
This question has been debated many times on the forum. See here: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...cord-8458.html

Forum members are in one camp or the other. As for me, I've had the connected power cord and opted for the removable one on my Escape...wouldn't go back for all the tea in China.
I agree completely. I too am one who had an attached cord for many, many year, and switched over my 19 to a removable one. Would never consider going back. Much easier to use, no issue of having to deal with the space the fixed pushes into, no tangled cords, and no open hole in the side of the trailer when in use.

My only complaint. I didn't do it sooner.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 01:53 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Having had both types I'm in the Karen/Jim camp. First mod I make to any trailer that doesn't have a detachable and had the 19 built with detachable.
I'm the same now on the power tongue jack. Once you've had a power tongue jack you'll never go back.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:09 PM   #26

Trailer: Looking for 15b
Looks like the Furion is on sale at Camping World right now for $60. It's backordered but you can still order at sale price and it will ship later.
30 Amp RV Conversion Kit with Power Smart LED - Lippert Components Inc 381686/FCKIT30-PS - Electrical Adapters - Camping World
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:35 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by etuna View Post
Just wondering, what is the advantage of having a detachable power cord? I find that shoving the cord into the mouse hole and snapping the cover shut pretty is pretty convenient compared to coiling up the cord and and stowing it somewhere else in the trailer or tow vehicle.
We have the standard cord and no problem with it, so no need to change it. If we still had a 19' though, big problem. If it gets caught, it is in a basically unreachable place to untangle. The 21' has no such problem.

We use malleable caulk around the cord when in use to seal the hole.
We have a crummy towel to wipe the cord while feeding in. Takes less than a minute.
Also only need a little of the cord out for some pedestals instead of dealing with a big one. We do carry an extra electrical cord for those times when ours is not long enough.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:54 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
We have the standard cord and no problem with it, so no need to change it. If we still had a 19' though, big problem. If it gets caught, it is in a basically unreachable place to untangle. The 21' has no such problem.

We have a crummy towel to wipe the cord while feeding in. Takes less than a minute.
Also only need a little of the cord out for some pedestals instead of dealing with a big one. We do carry an extra electrical cord for those times when ours is not long enough.
Hi Cathy having the 19 and didn't have any problems until last year when we were in Washington , pouring rain , couldn't get the tangled cord out . Had to crawl under bed to untangle cord , that did it . Happy to change out to unattached cord system . Made a spare second cord out of the cut off cord from trailer . Never had in over 30 years this problem in other RV's . Those attached cords in previous RV's were in a enclosed poly plastic box , could reach in put your cord in and out and was sealed from living quarters . Escape cord is just going into big unconfined space . Problem . Couldn't find a source for poly box so , hence detachable system which in our opinion is the way to go with this trailer . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:26 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi Cathy having the 19 and didn't have any problems until last year when we were in Washington , pouring rain , couldn't get the tangled cord out . Had to crawl under bed to untangle cord , that did it . Happy to change out to unattached cord system . Made a spare second cord out of the cut off cord from trailer . Never had in over 30 years this problem in other RV's . Those attached cords in previous RV's were in a enclosed poly plastic box , could reach in put your cord in and out and was sealed from living quarters . Escape cord is just going into big unconfined space . Problem . Couldn't find a source for poly box so , hence detachable system which in our opinion is the way to go with this trailer . Pat
Yep, I know you needed that, Pat! No such deal with the 21' as it is under the bench. All 19' owners may like to have a detachable cord. Never thought I could reach in and do anything with it.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:31 PM   #30

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've never had my cord tangle, but I don't put anything under that bench.
Attached Thumbnails
Cord 1.jpg  
Old 06-07-2017, 05:53 PM   #31

Quote:
Yep, I know you needed that, Pat! No such deal with the 21' as it is under the bench. All 19' owners may like to have a detachable cord. Never thought I could reach in and do anything with it.
Lucky yours is just under bench . Since you had the 19 , it is all the way to back , under bed . Required scooting on your back , getting to the back to reach and untangle the cord . What a pain in the a.. I don't care for confined spaces either , like I was in a tomb , buried . Not trying to be a wet blanket here but save others from this experience. Hence new attachable cord . Pat
Old 06-07-2017, 08:16 PM   #32
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Lucky yours is just under bench . Since you had the 19 , it is all the way to back , under bed . Required scooting on your back , getting to the back to reach and untangle the cord . What a pain in the a.. I don't care for confined spaces either , like I was in a tomb , buried . Not trying to be a wet blanket here but save others from this experience. Hence new attachable cord . Pat
The couple of times it happened to us, I used a broom handle to try and untangle it from the access hatch on the other side of the trailer. A PITA, but it worked. Now with a detachable, no worries.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:23 PM   #33

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I've never had my cord tangle, but I don't put anything under that bench.
It looks tangled!
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:48 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The couple of times it happened to us, I used a broom handle to try and untangle it from the access hatch on the other side of the trailer. A PITA, but it worked. Now with a detachable, no worries.

Robert couldn't do that . I had enclosed both sides with 1/8 in ply and needed to undo screws to get that off first . When we got home the cord was all the way to other side of trailer tangled so I thought that would take care of it ,enclosing the cord . It did for a couple of years . But with the cold and cord wasn't new anymore it was really a tangled mess . Happy with unattached cord set now . Once you have you never go back . When I got home you gave me the inspiration to go unattached cord set . Pat
Old 06-08-2017, 09:01 AM   #35

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
I thought I was firmly in the "attached cord" camp, but you all have convinced me to cut the cord and I have placed an order for the one on sale at CW.

I used to be part of the "manual jack" camp also, but after going with a power jack I am very glad I converted. I am gradually learning that change can be good!
Old 06-08-2017, 09:07 AM   #36

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGman View Post
I am gradually learning that change can be good!
It is amazing how tough it is for many to accept this.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:14 AM   #37
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
One of my favorite sayings... and I think it applies to change:
"Don't look back, you're not going that way."
Attached Thumbnails
LookingBack.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:36 AM   #38

Trailer: Escape 1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
One of my favorite sayings... and I think it applies to change:
"Don't look back, you're not going that way."
I like this. It is so true.
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:51 PM   #39

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGman View Post
I thought I was firmly in the "attached cord" camp, but you all have convinced me to cut the cord and I have placed an order for the one on sale at CW.

I used to be part of the "manual jack" camp also, but after going with a power jack I am very glad I converted. I am gradually learning that change can be good!
Way to go, Garland!
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 04:27 PM   #40

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Quote:
Cathy, What is the malleable caulk that you use to seal the hole? On our Casita we currently use a black rubber piece that seals the cord hole, but our Escape will have a different size cord hole.