Remove Manual Awning from 21C - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2021, 07:50 PM   #1

Trailer: 2024 21C ---------- 2023 Toyota Tundra Platinum
Remove Manual Awning from 21C

We are going to buy a 21C and are thinking through all the options.

We don't want an awning because we don't want to deal with keeping it clean, undamaged from the wind, etc. The first thought was to order it without the awning, but ETI does not give a credit if you opt out of having it.

It would be nice to have it when it comes time to sell the trailer, so I have been thinking about ordering the trailer with a manual awning, then just take it off and store it until we sell it.

Question: How hard would it be to take the awning off? Is there any reason that would be a bad idea?
scottarue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 07:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Just get it. It will keep the area in front of your door dry so you'll have someplace to leave your boots, and not track mud through the trailer.
You don't have to fully extend the manual awning ( not sure about the power one ). When it's reefed like that, it is less susceptible to damage.

Mine is just fine after 12 years, and not much of a maintenance issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Awning half open.jpg  
Old 02-10-2021, 07:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottarue View Post

We don't want an awning because we don't want to deal with keeping it clean, undamaged from the wind, etc. The first thought was to order it without the awning, but ETI does not give a credit if you opt out of having it.

It would be nice to have it when it comes time to sell the trailer, so I have been thinking about ordering the trailer with a manual awning, then just take it off and store it until we sell it.

Question: How hard would it be to take the awning off? Is there any reason that would be a bad idea?
I have the electric awning - when not in use, it is in an enclosure that keeps the awning fabric clean. We rarely use the awning so after four years, it still looks new.

Removing the manual awning would require filling a number of holes in the fiberglass shell - I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 02-10-2021, 08:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I took these reference shots of the manual awning when I was at Escape last.

You should be able to open the crimp on one or both ends of the horizontal track and slide it out. I would leave the horizontal track in place and possibly the side brackets. However you could fill the holes of just the side brackets with stainless steal screws and cup washers filled with a sealer.

If that is what you want to do...
Attached Thumbnails
308699B4-7B20-48CF-8235-A6AE1DBAA8D6.jpg   F0AC725E-96D2-4B4B-8F9F-8F8B0D608369.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 04:48 AM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I would never go without an awning.

We had a 1977 Trillium 4500 15', No awning, we didn't like the fact that it didn't have an awning. We came from a 14' tent trailer (full 14'box with highwall) and it had the awning, it was nice to keep the driving rain out of the trailer when going in and out.

With the Escape, our manual awning can be tipped to allow the rain to go to the low spot on the site. We keep our chairs under the awning out of the rain and the morning dew. We hang towels on the awning. We hang lights on the awning. The LED light strip lights up the awning. I would never get rid of the awning. Did I mention, in the rain, the awning keeps the rain from coming in the sliding windows.

Keep the awning.
Old 02-11-2021, 05:44 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
To keep it from unfurling one can instal the rv awning lock which several of us have on our manual awning. I took it one step further and fabricated a spring clip for the awning latch out of spring steel. They keep the awning from unfurling. Both only take about 5 mins to instal. No worries then. Cleaning your awning only ads about 5 mins or so to the annual or semi annual cleaning and waxing of your escape to keep it shinny.

David

When the sun comes up I’ll go n take some pics n post
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 08:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottarue View Post

You could take the fabric off and secure the arms with nylon wire ties. That way the fabric will be like new when it comes time to sell the trailer.

That was pretty much the way my trailer was delivered since they had awning supply issues in September.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:10 AM   #8

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
To keep it from unfurling one can instal the rv awning lock which several of us have on our manual awning. I took it one step further and fabricated a spring clip for the awning latch out of spring steel. They keep the awning from unfurling. Both only take about 5 mins to instal. No worries then. Cleaning your awning only ads about 5 mins or so to the annual or semi annual cleaning and waxing of your escape to keep it shinny.

David

When the sun comes up I’ll go n take some pics n post
We are getting a manual awning. We aren’t going to be able to fabricate anything but are interested in the awning lock. Any information or link on how they work and where to acquire them would be appreciated.

Thanks!
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:14 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
We are getting a manual awning. We aren’t going to be able to fabricate anything but are interested in the awning lock. Any information or link on how they work and where to acquire them would be appreciated.

Thanks!
A Velcro wrap around both awning bars, installed at the top of the bar. This method courtesy of CPA Harley. Camco sells Awning Straps for about $6, purposely made. Just about any Velcro straps would work.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:19 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
A complaint I have about the manual awning is it will frequently get wet on the inside. Particularly when driving in any rain. The result is, mold will form on both sides of the awning surfaces. It is possible to clean the majority of the mold off but stubborn streaks remain. After six years the fabric still appears in good shape, just a minor irritation.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:19 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
Get the awning but don't use it. Shouldn't get dirty if never out and will be there for resale.
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:25 AM   #12

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
A Velcro wrap around both awning bars, installed at the top of the bar. This method courtesy of CPA Harley. Camco sells Awning Straps for about $6, purposely made. Just about any Velcro straps would work.
Thank you very much! Appreciate it.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 10:21 AM   #13

awninglock.com is the website to purchase the lock

David
Old 02-11-2021, 10:26 AM   #14

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I’ve never needed a lock in 50 years, but I have heard of it happening. I might be next, who knows. If you want something fancier, there is this:

Save Your RV Awning with an RV Awning Travel Lock!
Old 02-11-2021, 10:30 AM   #15

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
I have never had a problem with an awning needing a lock.

I will second that I consider an awning as an essential item. Since I use mine to create a dry 'porch' area, only the manual types that I can keep deployed and possibly even tied out in a storm are of use.

The automatic awnings are nice in terms of staying clean and being easy to deploy, but they are completely useless for what I need an awning to do. To me, the automatic awnings are sunshades, probably great for people in the southwest US.

And yeah, even a rolled up manual awning will get soaked all through. They tend to get a bit dirty and stay that way permanently. It comes with the territory.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 10:37 AM   #16

Here’s the RVLock Instaled and the clip I made out of spring steel.

David
Attached Thumbnails
D7D04587-5B08-4518-9692-BF183B06472E.jpg   4DAFD5D6-D953-4135-A32D-28A7BDB76A38.jpg  
Old 02-11-2021, 11:03 AM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
This Velcro strap keeps the two parts of the arm from spreading, so the awning stays put.
Attached Thumbnails
Awning lock.jpg   Awning strap 2.jpg  
Old 02-11-2021, 11:26 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
You could take the fabric off and secure the arms with nylon wire ties. That way the fabric will be like new when it comes time to sell the trailer.

That was pretty much the way my trailer was delivered since they had awning supply issues in September.
Here's a picture of my trailer as delivered, with the awning supports wire tied closed.
Click image for larger version

Name:	facebook_1613064066242_6765681065295920655.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	53776
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 12:00 PM   #19

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
we don't use the awning very much. We considered getting trailer with out it. In the end we upgraded to the power awning. We liked the fact it did not interfere with the windows opening on the frame less windows. while closed the fabric is it protected. seems the trailer shell is designed around it. The extra cost was worth it to us. I do reserve the right to change my mine if the motor ever fails.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 12:47 PM   #20

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
This Velcro strap keeps the two parts of the arm from spreading, so the awning stays put.
It is a misconception that those straps will keep an awning from unfurling. I feel much better with one end of a gear tie wrapped around the open/close lever and then pulled and wrapped around the awning arm such that it keeps the lever in the closed position. It's not the same as a positive lock on the roller like the awning lock but it will certainly keep the lever in the closed position. Only an internal failure of the awning roller locking mechanism would allow the roller to rotate.
https://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-Orig.../dp/B00SHBO2Q2

Tags
awning