replacement LEDs... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2018, 12:49 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
replacement LEDs...

I would like to replace the LEDs on one half of one or two of the ceiling fixtures on my Escape with something much dimmer and amber or red colored. I have the 2014 vintage ones with the card that has the miniwedge mount. I tried some random miniwedge LED bulb and it didn't seem to want to work....

has anyone found anything that works in these? (primary application is interior night lighting during an astronomy star party)
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 01:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I would like to replace the LEDs on one half of one or two of the ceiling fixtures on my Escape with something much dimmer and amber or red colored. I have the 2014 vintage ones with the card that has the miniwedge mount. I tried some random miniwedge LED bulb and it didn't seem to want to work....

has anyone found anything that works in these? (primary application is interior night lighting during an astronomy star party)
Some LED bases fit really tight to the point where you may think it is the wrong bulb. We’ve had good luck with bulbs from www.superbrightleds.com
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:17 PM   #3
Site Team

indeed, superbrightleds has been my goto place for most LEDs.

but what I was asking for was what folks have found actually works.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:39 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I managed to install a single red led in the single lamp of the new style where it is red all the time unless you turn on the light. I did that in the bath and sink o/h in my 19. I attached it directly to the power lead.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:51 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I have replaced all the ceiling LED's installed by Escape with bulk bulbs I purchased on eBay. The bulbs were $10 for 10. It appears they are more expensive now. They did require a minute of time each to sand the base for a proper fit. They do not have the secondary screw in like the original bulb did. But after a year of use they are all still working.

This is a much more pleasant color, 3000-3500K. I am not sure what you are looking is going to be available and I doubt any Escape owners have done bulbs the Kelvin you want. This is the description if you want to search eBay for the color you need.

Super Bright 4.8w Warm White T10 921

The other option is to purchase the gel filters used in theater lighting. It is readily available from a number of online stores. The one question I would have is: do not some types of LED's emit a different wave light and therefore do not behave in changing color like an incandescent or halogen? Something I recall about a white led through a red lens is not going to be red? Maybe my recall is failing?
Attached Images

fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:43 PM   #6
Site Team

white LEDs tend to be a blend of blue + green + red, where the blue is the actual LED, and the green+red are phosphors that the blue light 'triggers'.

I've cut a piece of Rubylith, which is a deep red film used in photolithography, and have it in the 'single' half of the ceiling lamp thats controlled by the door jamb switch. if I leave that light on 'single', then its red. if I set it for 'both', the white is so much brighter than the red, you hardly notice the red, and if you need MORE light, turn on either or both of the /other/ two ceiling lamps on the 21, and its freekin daylight in there.

I also use LED 'votive candles', in amber and red, as night lights... the ones I've got that use 2032 coin batteries (the ones the size of a quarter) last for weeks of all night use on a battery (and I buy the batteries bulk).

maybe what I have now is good enough...
Old 09-26-2018, 05:37 PM   #7
Site Team

dredging up this thread again. the rubylith works pretty good, used it at a couple star parties, BUT, it tinted the LED array 'pink' when it got too hot and warped.

so I just got a couple each of these in red and amber, and they work great.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...t-car/199/872/

as my wife hates red lights, I'll leave them in the drawer til I'm at one of my star parties, then swap