Replacement Options for 2 Burner Suburban - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2021, 11:44 PM   #1
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
Replacement Options for 2 Burner Suburban

SUGGESTIONS PLEASE.

I've gone through the threads that have reported on the Suburban 2 burner stove and related issues. Ours had the loose knobs/ nuts and I wouldn't doubt there may be a problem brewing underneath the range...not now...but based on comments, certainly down the road.

I want to replace the Suburban with a similar 2 or 3 burner unit.

All I'm looking for are suggested, quality replacements that would easily fit in the existing or enlarged cutout on the counter of our 21NE.

Tried and true with photos would be even more appreciated for this winter project.

Thanks to all.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 11:48 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I'm not sure about the cutout size compared to the Suburban, but my Dickinson Marine cooktop is wonderful. High BTUs for quick cooking, self igniting, and flush with the counter with the cutting board cover. It also helps that its built like a tank.
Attachment 58363
Old 09-17-2021, 05:56 AM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I second the Dickinson. This first thread has some links in post #3 to some installs. The second thread has a few more installs including mine.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...lls-20604.html
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tall-9375.html
Old 09-17-2021, 08:08 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I second the Dickinson. This first thread has some links in post #3 to some installs. The second thread has a few more installs including mine.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...lls-20604.html
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tall-9375.html
Thanks
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:12 AM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Another second (or is it a third) for Dickinson Marine cooktop. It is a very nice cooktop.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:19 AM   #6

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
We removed our SDS2 stove and installed the Dickinson stovetop. Because of the monkey who cut out the countertop for the SDS2 I had to install a small shim at the back to cover the opening. It was easy to do and completely covered the gap. The only one who could see it was us and even then it was hard to see.

Our gas line for the SDS2 was installed on the wrong side (sink side instead of the very rear end of the kitchen. I got a copper pipe bender from my local HVAC/plumbing business and rebent the pipe, and went to a fireplace vendor and purchased a flexible 16" LP extension to reach the stove. It's really way easier than that sounds!

A month later we installed a new countertop and I installed the Dickinson for the second time in a month. Eazy Peasy.

I still have the old countertop and will take a picture of how the strip was installed. The strip was a leftover piece from cutting the two ends.

The Dickinson is a HUGE improvement over any stove we've ever had in a camper. Terry loves to cook and is ecstatic over her new Dickinson. The knobs are quite large and easy to fine adjust vs the small knobs on most RV stovetops. Terry feels it's as good or better than any gas stovetop she's had in the past.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 09-17-2021, 04:21 PM   #7
Ops

THANK YOU ALL for the advice as well as the links to earlier threads and photos. Very much appreciated.

(Plus there's great ideas that would update the 2013 Escape 15 ... "R2-E2").

Contacted a couple of suppliers here in BC who carry Dickinson products and both are out of stock for the 2 burner unit. Supply chains are FUBAR'd as we're all aware from the damn-demic.

I asked to be in the queue with a supplier in the Vancouver area...so keeping my phalanges crossed for a winter project/install.
Old 09-17-2021, 07:00 PM   #8

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Pictures of the cutout where we had to add a strip of existing countertop that came from the cuts on each end.

The seam you see was really not noticeable unless you really looked. Less than 1/16" was showing so the illusion was, it was not there.

Had we not been changing countertops anyway I would have been just fine with that install.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 09-18-2021, 11:35 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
This looks nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2021-09-18 at 9.32.33 AM.png  
Old 09-18-2021, 11:38 AM   #10

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
This looks nice.
Kind of expensive for a cooktop!
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 05:12 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
This looks nice.
Pretty sure that's a phone....
Old 09-18-2021, 06:26 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post

Thanks the beauty of it . One can cook n make a phone call too.

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:33 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Yup. Sure looks nice though.
Old 09-20-2021, 01:57 AM   #14
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ops View Post
SUGGESTIONS PLEASE.

I've gone through the threads that have reported on the Suburban 2 burner stove and related issues. Ours had the loose knobs/ nuts and I wouldn't doubt there may be a problem brewing underneath the range...not now...but based on comments, certainly down the road.

I want to replace the Suburban with a similar 2 or 3 burner unit.

All I'm looking for are suggested, quality replacements that would easily fit in the existing or enlarged cutout on the counter of our 21NE.

Tried and true with photos would be even more appreciated for this winter project.

Thanks to all.
I mentioned this in another post, but we stopped in at Escape to have them cap off our propane line to the Suburban cooktop in light of all of the issues folks were having/discovering until we come up with a solution (or a recall would be even better!). Dave mentioned that there was a $200 option we could purchase from Escape and install it ourselves, I believe a Dometic, possibly 3 burner, but at the time did not inquire further. $500 was the quote for Escape to install it.
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:26 AM   #15
Ops

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnJ View Post
Dave mentioned that there was a $200 option we could purchase from Escape and install it ourselves, I believe a Dometic, possibly 3 burner, but at the time did not inquire further. $500 was the quote for Escape to install it.
Interesting. I was wondering if such an option might be offered through ETI in consideration of and in response to the Suburban problem. Certainly not free, nor is free expected.

Given other choices, staying focused on the Dickenson stove top will be our plan for now. I'd rather put $200-$500 towards an upgrade product than to replace the Suburban with the current standard option. Plus it can be a DIY project as others have pointed out.

I'll continue with the gas sniffer until the Dickenson's are back on the shelves.
Old 09-20-2021, 08:38 AM   #16

Hmm,.. I contacted them and nobody offered me anything. Also interesting they would cap yours off when they aren't admitting there is a problem.
Old 09-20-2021, 08:50 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21; previously a 2012 Escape 19
We installed our Dickinson stove top last spring, a fine upgrade. Purchased here but now not available until Jan 2022:

https://www.boatownersworld.com/dick...in-cooker.html
Old 09-20-2021, 09:25 AM   #18

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Hmm,.. I contacted them and nobody offered me anything. Also interesting they would cap yours off when they aren't admitting there is a problem.
Just FYI, ETI has been delivering trailers with "Cooktop Delete" (with a price credit) and the propane line capped for a long time, long before the SDS2 issue came to light anywhere.

EDIT - deleted comment which was rightly pointed-out as inappropriate given context of the discussion. With apology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ops View Post
SUGGESTIONS PLEASE....
My suggestion, the route I'd take, is the Dickinson 2-burner, whether installed by ETI or as an after-purchase DIY / retrofit. I've scoured this forum and cannot find a single person who took that route and expressed any dissatisfaction whatsoever (one member did abandon their Dickinson 2-burner in favor of the Dickinson Range with oven). IMO, (distinct from "EMO" ) the Dickinson is a proven solid choice by virtue of Escape owner experience.

I took my 5.0 with the standard cooktop (turned out to be the Dometic D21-SEC) so I'd have a stove in the interim while I decide whether to go with the Dickinson 2-burner or undertake to install the Dickinson Range with oven. One or the other will happen sooner than later even though I do not have the SDS2.
Old 09-20-2021, 09:38 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Just FYI, ETI has been delivering trailers with "Cooktop Delete" (with a price credit) and the propane line capped for a long time, long before the SDS2 issue came to light anywhere.

Nothing whatsoever to do with "admitting" (or not) anything, all you had to do was ask, it's long been recognized that owners may DIY install a stove of their own choosing for a variety of reasons, and ETI has long 'supported' that ability.
My suggestion, the route I'd take, is the Dickinson 2-burner. I've scoured this forum and cannot find a single person who took that route and expressed any dissatisfaction whatsoever (one member did abandon their Dickinson 2-burner in favor of the Dickinson Range with oven).
That's not the same as capping off the gas line from an unsafe cooktop in an existing trailer. But I'm referring to the offering a replacement stove at a reasonable price even if they wouldn't install it as they did not do that for me and they basically told another member to do his own research to find one.
Old 09-20-2021, 09:51 AM   #20

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
That's not the same as capping off the gas line from an unsafe cooktop in an existing trailer.....
You are correct, please accept my apology for missing that important context when making my post.