Replacing the shower drain - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2017, 01:01 PM   #41

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
Jim, we are one of those crazy customers.
Nathan, I already had that figured out.

Methinks I qualify in my own way too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
Just my opinion but I am also one that likes to reinforced some walls and the ease of hanging something where I want it a year down the road and not be limited to where there is a stud. We did it on our first Escape and again on this one. I did not do all the walls but did several. If you are not worried about the extra weight which I am not I just don't see a problem giving myself more options down the road, I am not a carpenter and don't want to mess with it. It has gotten much more expensive over the years to have ETI do it but I fully understand that custom work cost money and don't have a problem with it.
Tom, that is just fine. If it gives you piece of mind it is worth it. I am a carpenter and a civil engineering technologist, so know structure very well, and am quite confident I can make do. There is way more solid framing than any house would have.

BUT, just as there are some folks that have the opinion that this extra blocking is necessarily, and for them it is the right choice, I do have the right to have an opinion else wise, no? At least one person agrees with me.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:15 PM   #42

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

Tom, that is just fine. If it gives you piece of mind it is worth it. I am a carpenter and a civil engineering technologist, so know structure very well, and am quite confident I can make do. There is way more solid framing than any house would have.

BUT, just as there are some folks that have the opinion that this extra blocking is necessarily, and for them it is the right choice, I do have the right to have an opinion else wise, no? At least one person agrees with me.
You certainly do. Again it was just my opinion and I did not say it should be yours our anyone else. I am very good with sheet metal, piping and electrical but can destroy a piece of wood.

Like all forums this forum is full of opinions of which mine is just one.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:26 PM   #43

Quote:
I went to an interesting workshop today in Toronto on blepharospasm, supporting my wife who has it, and the doctor said that though lots of great information gets shared on forums and social media, that one should never take what worked for one individual as a potential cure, as everyone should approach the condition separately. Not only do the causes differ, but the remedies will as well. Very similar to what we discuss here, where we all have differing reasons to purchase an Escape (the cause) and all require differing solutions to make it work best for us (remedies).
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-16-2017, 01:32 PM   #44

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
You certainly do. Again it was just my opinion and I did not say it should be yours our anyone else. I am very good with sheet metal, piping and electrical but can destroy a piece of wood.

Was a union carpenter for 30plus years . I guess my thinking has to do with the 1994 Earthquake here in California . Our home was pretty bad . Had a structural and geo techancial engineer recommend we put sheer walls on the balloon framing . We had foundation damage where the j bolts were just hanging because concrete was missing holding them . One side of the house was sliding to my neighbors . Outside house was stripped , foundation fixed and sheer walls installed . Sheer walls can be 3/8 plywood screwed to the framing . Lot's of screws , making the walls very strong . I asked Reace if he could reenforce some of our walls . As I think it was Donna ,saying our trailers are like a rolling earthquake going down the road . I want a little stronger walls . The ply that is used is not very heavy , however does make your wall structurally stronger and gives more options for hanging items . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:35 PM   #45

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

Again, maybe you missed it while making your creepily accurate assessment of me Jim , but for me, it didn't have anything to do with carpentry, civil engineering or being structural.

It was as simple as I liked the sound and the "feel" of the walls better with the wood in them, then I did without. You may now peg me as simple-minded...
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:54 PM   #46

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
We went through Yellowstone on our return trip from Chilliwack. The last night we had showers and had planned on dumping on our way out. Unfortunately they closed the dump station due to temperature so we had to exit East without a dump. I forgot to close the shower drain and on a stop near the East entrance had a shower with a bit of gray water soaking the mat we keep there. The Hepo valve would be nice for the occasional brain fart avoidance.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:58 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
Again, maybe you missed it while making your creepily accurate assessment of me Jim , but for me, it didn't have anything to do with carpentry, civil engineering or being structural.

It was as simple as I liked the sound and the "feel" of the walls better with the wood in them, then I did without. You may now peg me as simple-minded...
Sorry, caught the part about being weird, then disregarded the rest.

Actually, I did see that and it falls under doing the "what makes you feel good" thing I was saying was just fine (or something like that).

And I believe you simple-minded types have every right to an opinion too. I know us knotheads do.

It is not others opinions that get to me, it is people feeling they need to defend a decision when someone else posts an opposing one. It is great to hear their opinion, just without being defensive about it. Nobody was questioning them, I am sure they did it for all their own right reasons. (BTW, this is just a general note, not necessarily about this good thread).

I know that many are looking at what I intend to do with bewilderment, wondering why the heck bother with that, when something else simpler and likely cheaper will work. I do it because I want to, and have fun doing it, and because Lisa tells me too.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:07 PM   #48

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
As I think it was Donna ,saying our trailers are like a rolling earthquake going down the road . I want a little stronger walls . Pat
That"s why I never even considered a stick built trailer. I wanted something that was going to stay together and the first trailer under consideration was a Scamp. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:18 PM   #49

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
The RV use of a hepvo in Canada is certified to CSA Standard Z240.3.2-08.
right, but it is my understanding that a very large % of Escapes are sold to US customers.

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:32 PM   #50

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
right, but it is my understanding that a very large % of Escapes are sold to US customers.

If you are interested in the hepvo, their website is www.hepvo.com - they have all the documentation for Canada, USA, and Australia certifications.
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:45 PM   #51

Trailer: 2013 Casita (Sold) 2017 Escape 21
I'm scheduled to stop at Little House Customs on 13-14 Feb for installation of a double step - I'll have Larry Gamble give me an opinion on whether a Hepvo install is feasible.

Never underestimate a man with a Degree in Physical Education.
H46Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:53 PM   #52

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Great! Larry has done so many hepvo installs that he would know the best way to get it done. If you decide to have Larry do the install, please take photos and ask him if an Escape install kit could be added to the store.
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:58 PM   #53

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Met Gary from Ft. Worth I believe at Gilbert Ray with his 21 and saw his two step from the shop mentioned above. The first step sits on the ground. The second step extends a bit further away from trailer as both are a bit wider.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:35 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Great! Larry has done so many hepvo installs that he would know the best way to get it done. If you decide to have Larry do the install, please take photos and ask him if an Escape install kit could be added to the store.
WIll do!

Old 01-16-2017, 10:37 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Met Gary from Ft. Worth I believe at Gilbert Ray with his 21 and saw his two step from the shop mentioned above. The first step sits on the ground. The second step extends a bit further away from trailer as both are a bit wider.

It will be interesting to see if the Escape 21 is lower than a Casita. We had the double on our Casita and only ran into it touching the ground one time when the site was sloped quite a bit. Hoping it isn't too low!

Old 01-17-2017, 07:00 AM   #56
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
We seem to be drifting from hepvos to double steps. Those that are considering a self-mod double step, here's a thread from jamman, tractors1 and information from Larry Gamble... pictures too!: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...step-3967.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:35 PM   #57

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by H46Driver View Post
WIll do!
Please let us know what response you get from Larry. I've done Hepvo installs on my Casitas and on my Bigfoot, but I haven't had a chance to look at the Escape 17B plumbing to know what it entails.

Walt
Blacksburg, VA
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:59 AM   #58

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
So, Tom, did you find a solution to your original question?

I don't mind bending over to close the basket/strainer in our shower drain, but I really hate cleaning the gunk out of it (but not worse than I hate leaving it all gunked up). We haven't put in the HEPVO yet, but if/when we do, I'd love to lose that basket/strainer in favor of a flat strainer that would be easier to clear.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:07 AM   #59

Trailer: 17
I unscrew the plastic one, take it out and put in the metal mesh one found in the mesh strainer three variety pack too.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote