Rock Guards - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2009, 12:32 PM   #1

Rock Guards

For anyone interested, I had some rock-guards added to the front corners of my trailer (was getting rock chips above the original rock guards). Here's a link to my blog with the entry that covers the guards (with a photo).

http://web.me.com/mosquitodirk/Site/...fications.html

Cheers,
Dirk
mosquitodirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:11 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Re: Rock Guards

Dirk, Line-X is what I am thinking of doing too. In Calgary here I was quoted $585 (plus GST) to do it full width to any height I want, plus they will match to whatever colour I want too. If I get it done (and I likely will) I imagine I will match the graphic colours we chose for the trailer. They said that any white is the hardest thing to match. I also inquired about doing the wheel wells, and they quoted me $300 for the both of them. I guess their biggest cost is the time it takes to apply their wire tape to mask the area off. A local dealership that sold Bigfoot did this to all their units when the brought them in. It is a great tough product, and not near as rubbery as many of the truck bed liners I have seen.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:04 PM   #3

They fellow at Trademasters suggested the best bet for the tirewell is to rough it up well with sandpaper, and then buy and apply some spray on liner myself (way cheaper and quicker). He said that the high cost of the tirewells comes from trying to work around the brakes etc.

The chips in my tirewells aren't nearly as bad as the front corners.

Colour matched would be nice (they could do the black as a drop-in - I was heading home the next day).
Old 04-02-2009, 07:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

Would mud flaps on the tow cut down on chips? I'm not that keen on the bed-liner solution, especially if they can't match the color of the trailer. I've seen vehicles with a sort of flap hanging from the bumper too. I wonder if that is easily installed for a trip and removed.

baglo
Old 04-02-2009, 07:10 PM   #5

Apparently you can get those brush like skirts (think hula) that hang down across the back of the truck. My thought with those was the potential to get super muddied up, plus the storage of it when not in use.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:15 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

That was pretty much my thought on them too Dirk. I had a couple that looked decent bookmarked. They are also likely quite heavy.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:02 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

I've come across some info you may find beneficial. This actually is something from one of the other fiberglass forums:
"Have you checked out Grizzly grip? This is a truck bed lining that is very durable. We used it on our sailboat for the non slip footing on our deck. You need to get the one with UV protection in it. The surface is sanded and then cleaned with acetone and then you roll it on. It does come in many different colors. It has a knobby texture. Make sure you mix it WELL!!! You need to order it right before you use it and they mix it fresh. After putting it on our boat, I trust it with my life running to the front in big storms. It is very durable (sailboat outside all the time). It looks great. Lots of other owners in our marina want to apply it.

We used rock guard spray on coating under our trailer in black. We tapped off the sides (quite far up so there is no over spray) with a nice line and applied it under the trailer and in the wheel wells. With a smooth line it looks great. If you jack up your trailer, and use a respirator, you can crawl underneath and apply it."

http://www.grizzlygrip.com/
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:27 AM   #8

I'm interesting and follow your link it's help me to find out. Thank you
myacc is offline   Reply With Quote