Screen door sweeper - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2021, 02:51 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Screen door sweeper

On our 2021 E19 the sweep on the screen door leaves a couple of 1-2” gap on one end (see picture.... You can see the rug mat inside the trailer). I have been looking for suggestions on the forum for modifying the door sweep but no luck. Any suggestions on how best to deal with this issue appreciated. Thanks Cliff
Attached Thumbnails
62AF1067-EAF2-4173-A966-6E2077D88048.jpeg  
Clkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 07:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clkr View Post
On our 2021 E19 the sweep on the screen door leaves a couple of 1-2” gap on one end (see picture.... You can see the rug mat inside the trailer). I have been looking for suggestions on the forum for modifying the door sweep but no luck. Any suggestions on how best to deal with this issue appreciated. Thanks Cliff
is there an adjustment screw on each side for up and down like a regular screen door?
Old 07-10-2021, 09:31 PM   #3
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Hi Cliff, I can see how a 1-2" hole at the bottom of your screen door could be an invitation for some unwanted critters inside....yikes. Just went out and looked at mine. Humm...I understand your question. I wasn't able to find an exact size replacement online so since you have 2021 trailer (i.e. still under warranty) I would email your picture and question over to (Dustin?) in the parts department at Escape. Escape should be able to either tell you how to adjust it or replace that part. Good luck! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 10:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Hi Cliff, I can see how a 1-2" hole at the bottom of your screen door could be an invitation for some unwanted critters inside....yikes. Just went out and looked at mine. Humm...I understand your question. I wasn't able to find an exact size replacement online so since you have 2021 trailer (i.e. still under warranty) I would email your picture and question over to (Dustin?) in the parts department at Escape. Escape should be able to either tell you how to adjust it or replace that part. Good luck! -Bea
Thanks for the suggestion. I was hoping for an easy fix but I will send off to Dustin to see his response.
Old 07-12-2021, 04:37 PM   #5

Well, I received ‘feedback’ from ETI (Dustin). Basically ‘not our problem’ and advised me to contact lippert (door manuf that then says the gap is ‘normal’). Disappointed with both but will need to ‘fix’ before next camping trip in 2 days!!
Old 07-12-2021, 08:40 PM   #6
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Well, I received ‘feedback’ from ETI (Dustin). Basically ‘not our problem’ and advised me to contact lippert (door manuf that then says the gap is ‘normal’). Disappointed with both but will need to ‘fix’ before next camping trip in 2 days!!
Well, bummers. For a short term fix, since you are going camping soon, I would do something like sacrifice an old dust broom, cut off some bristles and lay down the top section on some (white?) duct tape. Then cover the top section of bristles with a smaller piece of duct tape. Then trim the bristle bottoms to make a straight edge. Then temporarily tape that to the inside door where the hole is to cover up the hole. ...very temporary.

As for a long term fix, when you get back from your trip, I would be inclined to call Lippert back and dialog with them some more, and speak to a manager or (send an email with pics) and assert that your gap is considerably larger than (my/your friend's) gap. You can see a small gap in my door but when closed, the gap is barely noticeable. Requesting a replacement sweeping broom seems like a reasonable request...but then again, I've never had to deal with Lippert, so good luck!

If you don't want to deal with Lippert, another DIY long term fix might be to get something like this https://www.amazon.com/Pemko-Bottom-..._t3_B00KWJA61C and cut, screw on, and paint white? There are others door sweepers so look around, you might find a better one. Just my 2 cents. Best of luck and enjoy your trip! -Bea
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0265.jpg   IMG_0264.jpg  
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 12:11 PM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0 TA
We just bought a pre-owned 2020 5.0. When my wife saw the screen door sweep she said you need to fix that before we camp in it. We have been from Michigan to Nova Scotia and West to Joshua Tree NP and depending on the area you are in and how much rain they have gotten the mosquitoes can do a better job finding leaks in your trailer than those expensive pressure testing devices.

I sat on the step to the bed of the 5.0 looking at that door and thinking of what we could do. Here is what I came up with and we are going to try it this season as it solves 99% of the shortfalls from the way the screen door ships.

I purchased a 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch D shape rubber weather seal for doors and windows. I cleaned the threshold with rubbing alcohol, cut it to length and stuck it down. I also cut pieces to go up the side about an inch to seal where the bristles from the screen door don't do a good job but not so high that it hits the bottom of the screen door and doesn't let the screen door shut all the way. Now the screen door bristles close against that weather strip and appears to solve the problem.

When i was sitting on that step thinking of the solution I had thought if I could find a larger weather strip I would remove the bristles all together and have a larger 1 inch weather seal on the bottom of the screen door that would meet up with the weather seal on the threshold and seal it that way, but we are going to see how this works. Took only a couple of minutes to install and I have 32 feet of the weather strip and only used 2 feet of it so if it comes off after one season I have 15 seasons more ready to go.

Here is what I bought....
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QHHB1J4...t_details&th=1

Here are some pictures....
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20220521-084525-849.jpg   1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg  
Camper Scott is offline   Reply With Quote