screen room, toaster oven and removable power core - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2012, 01:11 AM   #1

screen room, toaster oven and removable power core

HI,
I am new to this forum. My husband and I just decided to purchase a 19 foot escape. We are looking at all of the options unsure what is worth the price.
I would love to hear from someone who has the screen room and whether they thought it was a worthwhile purchase. My daughter is well loved by mosquitos and the extra carrier might be nice. Then there is the possibility of sleeping in the "screen room" some nights.
We are not getting the microwave, but I am thinking of taking our toaster oven on the road instead.
Do most people get the removable power cord because of bug issues??
Thanks for reading. We are excited!
Cindy L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:34 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Re: screen room, toaster oven and removable power core

Hi: Cindy L... WELCOME!!! We have the screen room and I think the dome snaps for it are better put on the trailer at the factory. I'm sure we'll use it more when we're set up in one spot for longer periods.We have the micro. and sometimes I wish we had a toaster oven too!!! I would opt for the removable cord as when the trailer is plugged in at home it's a super highway for creepy crawlys. We put an adhesive bug trap pad in that compartment that attracts them and they get stuck on it. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:36 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Hi Cindy, welcome aboard. Congrats on your purchase.

We opted away from the screen room, and am glad we did. Unless it is raining, or the rare occasion to get away from the sun, we are rarely under the awning anyway. We do not tend to hang around the trailer that much. We do have a stand alone mesh dining tent that has seen use on a couple occasions during bug season.

We too opted away from the microwave, and enjoy using the space it would take as our pantry. A toaster oven is not that heavy, but it would take up a bunch of storage space. The biggest drawback with one is that unless you are hooked to electricity, it is just taking up space. If you search back, there are a few options for both toasting and baking discussed that do not use electricity.

Much of this will depend on how you intend to use your trailer.

I would likely go the route of a removable power cord, but it was not an option 3 years ago. In fact, I am strongly considering changing over. A couple of the prongs in the type I have broken, from stowing it away in freezing temps.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150

Another Welcome!

I have the Marinco detachable power cord & love it. I also opted to go without a microwave & use a microwave sized toaster oven (a Crusinart TOB 155).

I rarely stay in one place long enough to make a screen room useful, but if you do, it probably makes sense.

As to other options, there are a couple of older & current threads discussing options, including
this One
from another individual looking to purchase a 19 foot Escape. I tried doing a search for "options" but that gets too many returns from people listing the options on trailers they are selling; you probably have to dig through the individual forum sections.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:42 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014

All good comments so far, here is an added consideration on the screen room. I do not have the screen room, of course I have the awning. My experience with the awning probably applies to the screen room. I do not leave the awning extended if I am going to be gone from the campsite or during the overnight. The issue is wind. One too many time I had to retract the awning when a storm blew in during the night.

Perhaps the screen room improves the stability of the awning, this I do not know. It still would be a concern.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

Hi from another Portland, Oregon resident. Screen room... I understand... my daughter gets histamine reactions from mosquitos. But remember in Oregon, our state bug... slugs... they don't fly. I found with my child, a fan to keep the air moving also kept the mosquitos out of the area. That's why at the beach, if there's a breeze... there's also NOT a mosquito problem. If you decide you want a screen room, absolutely get it from Escape so the "buttons" are professionally attached to your trailer. However, you MAY find a stand-alone screen "house" which you can put over the picnic table and a fan... is all you need or want.

Good luck on your decision.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:55 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

I have the screen room, but have yet to need it.

If I find myself in a cloud of mosquitoes and black flies, I'm gonna move.

On the Skagit River there are two campsites. One is up river with a few mosquitoes. The other is at the lake ( read swamp ) and seems popular with mosquitoes and other irritants ( read ATVs and powerboats ). Sometimes, it's easiest just to find another spot.

baglo
Old 05-05-2012, 07:23 PM   #8

Re: screen room, toaster oven and removable power cord

Thank You for all of the replies.
Sounds like the removable power cord is a good way to go.
We have a toaster oven I thought I wanted to bring, but I'm taking your advice to check out small toaster type appliances made for RVs.
I want that screen room, but don't want to regret it

Thanks again!
C
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #9

BTW, Cindy L is my better half.

Apparently I am logged into the forum on every computer in the house. Time to uncheck that "log in forever" button ...

I worry about the electricals, Cindy worries about the bugs. If only I could convince her that solar panels will keep the bees away!

David
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour

Alf, don't you have one of those skirts with slits just inside the cord door? The bugs are getting in past that?

Paul, that seems as if it is a lot of trouble to take that awning down and then up again but definitely smart with any possible wind. Never would have thought of doing that. Requires knowing the weather report all of the time. I was thinking of getting one of those weather radios.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

The awning is like a sail, and like a sail, you can "reef" it.
As in, wind it in half way so that you still have some shelter, but it presents less surface to the wind. You can also adjust the arms to lower the front edge making it less vulnerable to wind.

As for the screen room, I'm told ( no personal experience ) that the weight and walls of it helps keep wind from getting under the awning and lifting it.

baglo

Old 05-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #12

Hi: Floating Cloud... The "Earwigs" just walk up the cord like a gang plank and thru the slits into the bunk. They seem to like the peanut butter smell of the traps tho and get stuck there, just like peanut butter to the roof of my mouth.
I'd go for the removable power cord. It wasn't an option in 2007. Alf
Old 05-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #13

Thanks everyone!
Donna, I love that Oregon has so few mosquitos! However, we will be going into mossie infested territories this summer
I have a question about how hard is it to put up a screen room. Do you guys have a step stool you bring along or can you reach everything you need to reach?
C L
Old 05-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #14

Hi: Cindy L... The top snap on the front of the 5.0 is a real stretcher for me!!! You shouldn't have a problem with a 19'er. The room has a right and other right side.(They are marked R/L) You'll get the knack of which one to feed into the slot in the awning tube first. The awning can be raised or lowered to adjust the sweep of the sides too. The zipper is then in the center across from the door. One of those collapseable stools can come in handy for those of us vertically challenged campers. Alf
Old 05-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #15

Hi Cindy, I had reece put an awning and screen room on my Surfside when I got it. I was heading
out to Sask that first summer and was VERY glad to have it with me. I have also used it in Alberta,
Mission, BC (quite a few there that summer) and down in Oregon. (No wind) They were not cheap
but i was glad to have one. Hope that helps. Marina
Old 05-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #16

Marina and Alf,
Thanks for the info and thoughts on the screen room. We decided to go for it
C
Old 05-25-2012, 01:11 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19

I've never had one but went for it because it will expand your living space considerably.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #18

I'm a bit late to the conversation.

We have the screen room but only use it when we are staying put for a couple of days in mosquito country. We are glad we bought it as it doesn't take much room to stow and it adds the extra room when needed (We have the 17).

Toaster ovens, microwave ovens, and televisions only work when plugged into something. We don't have any of these appliances but have not plugged in during camping in the 30 or so nights in 'Ping since we got her.

We like the removable power core(d) to keep bugs out and one less hole for moisture to get in. It does get a bit dirty laying on the ground but, in our opinion, is a small price to pay. On most of our trips, the power cord stays at home.

Must have options: insulation package, front storage compartment, dual batteries, LED lights, bathroom.

Have fun,

G
shanngord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:23 AM   #19

Hey G,

Sounds like we are copying you. We are getting the screen room and removable power cord(yep, i misspelled that one). We are not getting the microwave, TV and plan to leave the toaster behind.
We are also going for the insulation(including the spray foam), LED lights, bathroom, and the front storage box. We are getting solar panels too (my hubby really wanted those)

C