Screw it - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2022, 10:17 AM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Screw it

I have been told I must have a screw loose but of course I never believe those people. Then, April 29th saw this, on the Escape trailer Facebook page, with picture included.

“WIND BLEW OUR AWNING OFF while driving south of Crescent City. Rounded a corner in the highway right when a gust of wind hit.
Ended up dragging the awning until we could pull over. It’s totally ruined.
1. Has this happened to anyone else?
2. Does anyone do anything more to secure the awning while driving?”

I have the manual awning. That posting prompted me to go out and look at it. Good thing because this is what I just saw. The issue is not a new one. It was addressed on this forum several years ago. Many of us have subsequently taken preventative measures, me included.

I stand corrected. Clearly I do have a screw loose.
Attached Thumbnails
awndown.jpg   awng2A.jpg  
Old 05-01-2022, 11:10 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We have heard and read about loose awnings starting to unfurl. Also about the black pull down strap being left at the actuator lever end of the channel getting tangled up with the lever and inadvertently flipping it to open. Since then (2014) we have had Velcro straps holding the mounting bracket to the awning arms (each end). We also make sure to move the strap to just off of being in line with the door so the strap doesn’t get closed in the door. We move the strap from one side of the door to the other each time we roll up to keep awning creases to a minimum. This has worked for us.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-01-2022, 09:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I have been told I must have a screw loose but of course I never believe those people. Then, April 29th saw this, on the Escape trailer Facebook page, with picture included.

“WIND BLEW OUR AWNING OFF while driving south of Crescent City. Rounded a corner in the highway right when a gust of wind hit.
Ended up dragging the awning until we could pull over. It’s totally ruined.
1. Has this happened to anyone else?
2. Does anyone do anything more to secure the awning while driving?”

I have the manual awning. That posting prompted me to go out and look at it. Good thing because this is what I just saw. The issue is not a new one. It was addressed on this forum several years ago. Many of us have subsequently taken preventative measures, me included.

I stand corrected. Clearly I do have a screw loose.
It seems there are two separate issues with a manual awning that unfurls during driving.

1. The vertical arms don't stay vertical. This one is the easiest to manage. Newer manual awnings (maybe the old ones too) have a fitting about half way up the arm that, when closed, keeps the arm from pulling away from the side of the trailer. Other solutions, like a velcro strap at the top of the vertical arm securing it to the top mount, are also effective.

2. But even if the arm doesn't come loose, it it possible for the awning to unfurl which in the draft caused while driving can cause lots of problems too. This is caused by the lever at the forward end of the awning role not staying in the CLOSE position. If something knocks the lever to the OPEN position, the awning can unfurl, even if the vertical arms are held tightly to the side of the camper.

I've seen online a fellow who makes a little add-on device that's basically a metal plunger than inserts into a hole drilled into the awning roller to keep the awning from unfurling while traveling, even if the lever gets knocked to the OPEN position.

Whatever you do, and however you make sure it's working, make sure the lever at the forward end of the awning roll is in the CLOSE position when traveling.
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 09:37 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye Ed View Post
I've seen online a fellow who makes a little add-on device that's basically a metal plunger than inserts into a hole drilled into the awning roller to keep the awning from unfurling while traveling, even if the lever gets knocked to the OPEN position.
Save Your RV Awning with an RV Awning Travel Lock!
Old 05-01-2022, 09:48 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I’ve never worried about the awning lock until the Escape. Due to how the manual awning attaches to the E19 Gen 2, there is always a little awning unfurled; therefore, I did install an awning lock for piece of mind. We hardly ever use the awning. On this last 57 day trip we have not used it once.
brroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 10:41 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I recommend buying more stuff.
Old 05-02-2022, 12:00 AM   #7

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
This thread

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ock-13077.html

is the reason I am on this forum. The fellow at RVawninglock or whatever it is, said "the Escape people have made a bracket for mounting it" and that is about all I got out of him. I have an A&E 8500 awning that has open backed rafters (C shaped, not a square tube type.) After fabricating a mounting bracket for it, I sent them pics of what I had done. Never received any reply, nor a reply to my later query asking if he had received the pics. Kinda disappointed at his attitude as in the beginning he seemed genuinely interested in helping, going so far as to call me after I sent an email asking about how to install it.

Don't let an A&E awning get damaged, Dometic, like all large companies, have changed and streamlined and have eliminated all parts for the manual awnings, I guess they sent them to a landfill, suddenly they are gone! Bigfoot was caught off guard and had to back up and switch to a Carefree of Colorado awning as they had to have one with arms and one that cleared the slightly bulged sides.

Sounds like a good chance for someone to get into the parts repro business, Bulk aluminum extrusions and such.

To open the 8500 on the Bigfoot you have to pull it out about two clicks, and then lift each arm off the upper brackets. They hook on them so no need to strap arms to the brackets.

Here are a couple of pics for gee whiz of how my awning lock is installed.

Charles
Attached Thumbnails
RVawning lock inst test fit of inside aluminum block fig5.jpg   RVawning lock inst top of inside rafter block with nutplates fig8.jpg   RVawning lock inst underside of raised rafter with lock installed fig9.jpg   RVawning lock inst bottom of inside rafter block and tools used to cut the grooves fig7.jpg  
Old 05-02-2022, 12:04 AM   #8

Finished install
Attached Thumbnails
Rvawning lock inst finished fig14.jpg   RVawning lock inst bonus pic backside.jpg  
Old 05-02-2022, 06:22 AM   #9

Trailer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I have this installed on our 21. Easy ti install give extra peace of mind while going down the road
Old 05-02-2022, 07:03 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Yawning awning!!!

Hi: Myron... Oh to be "Strew loose and fancy free" again. We have never had our Carefree of Colorado play free & loose while travelling. We did lose the pull strap once but found it wrapped up in the fabric. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 07:31 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm glad the newer power awning eliminates several of these issues.....
Old 05-02-2022, 10:10 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Alf, you know it and I know it - why take a chance?
Attached Thumbnails
aw04A.jpg  
Old 05-02-2022, 10:12 AM   #13

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I recommend buying more stuff.
Haha! That’s the American way.

But…. You’re Canadian….
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 10:34 AM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I’ve got a couple extras around here some place but I can’t find them. Need another empty peanut butter jar and a label.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-02-2022, 10:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Its possible for a strong side gust to overcome the brake or whatever they use in a power awning and unfurl it also.

Even with a good ratchet lock mechanism on a manual awning, the wind can generate enough force to overcome the latch and unfurl the awning. You don't have to accidentally bump the latch lever the wrong way.

Charles
Old 05-02-2022, 12:17 PM   #16

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
...and creates several others
Old 05-02-2022, 04:41 PM   #17

Trailer: 21
Mmmmmmm let’s see manual unfurl n power get stuck open or won’t close all the, remotes go bad mmmm it’s a win win for head banging
Old 05-02-2022, 10:20 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye Ed View Post
It seems there are two separate issues with a manual awning that unfurls during driving.

1. The vertical arms don't stay vertical. This one is the easiest to manage. Newer manual awnings (maybe the old ones too) have a fitting about half way up the arm that, when closed, keeps the arm from pulling away from the side of the trailer. Other solutions, like a velcro strap at the top of the vertical arm securing it to the top mount, are also effective.

2. But even if the arm doesn't come loose, it it possible for the awning to unfurl which in the draft caused while driving can cause lots of problems too. This is caused by the lever at the forward end of the awning role not staying in the CLOSE position. If something knocks the lever to the OPEN position, the awning can unfurl, even if the vertical arms are held tightly to the side of the camper.

Whatever you do, and however you make sure it's working, make sure the lever at the forward end of the awning roll is in the CLOSE position when traveling.
What we installed with straps Can’t be too careful ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 11:13 PM   #19

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Just FYI the 'original' thread which explains several different 'failure modes' of awnings when underway and the particular failure mode that the "Awning Lock" prevents which any variation of 'strapping' cannot (that is, 'unfurling' of the awning even when the arms are firmly secured to the trailer in the closed position):

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ock-13077.html

Everyone gets to decide what, if any, risks they want to mitigate with appurtenances beyond the OE latching systems (YMMV )

IMO each owner should do what's necessary to let them travel with No Worries!
Old 05-02-2022, 11:57 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I think the problem with awnings unfurling was caused by the strap being too close to the awning switch, flapping around when under way, hitting and flipping the switch to "open".
I make sure when closing the awning that the strap is far enough away from the switch that that can't happen.
Then, for insurance, I wrap a Velcro strap around the awning arms to keep them from opening ( there is already a lock for that purpose that is part of the awning ).