Shelves in 19' wardrobe? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2020, 02:02 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 19'
Shelves in 19' wardrobe?

We want to put shelves in the wardrobe of our 19'. I've read quite a few threads that show how other people have added shelves.

I'm considering putting cleats on the walls of the wardrobe to hold shelves. However I haven't been able to find if those walls are thick enough to use a screw to secure/mount the cleats.

Does anybody know the thickness of the walls in the wardrobes? Is it strong enough to hold cleats and shelves?

Thanks!

Sam
mistertinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 03:21 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
In the E19 you will find supports in each corner, front and rear. You can run a horizontal 1x1 support front to rear and use hardboard shelves. There may be a middle stud also in case you can't find a rear corner stud. I used a air nail gun working inside the closet.
Old 04-18-2020, 11:04 PM   #3

Trailer: escape 19
Hello,
I completed an upgrade to the pantry by adding 4 roller shelves, with"travel lock".

I used a stud finder to find all the thicker areas in the walls to put in screws. I had to put in 1x1's to mount the rails for the shelves. If interested I can send pictures. I have a simple vertical rod that secures the shelves while driving. When camping the rod is held with a couple of holders on the inside of the pantry door.

I was putting canned goods in the pantry at the lowest shelf but moved them to the floor under the stove.

I have taken it out for a short drive to test and so far it is secure; but no long term driving to see how it holds up given the current stay home orders.
mrpdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 05:36 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
To the best of my knowledge, all internal walls in an Escape, unless “reinforced,” are like the walls inside your home, meaning they are “hollow” with a layer of thin paper veneered wood attached to framing material. This layer is maybe 1/8-inch thick. They are built that way to save weight. Additionally, the “floor” of all cabinets are constructed the same way. If one wanted “many” adjustable shelves, the best solution might be to cut sheets of plywood to fit either side and drill holes for shelf pins at predetermined increments (spaced maybe 1-inch or 1.5-inches apart), finish as desired, and then install them inside the wardrobe. Then the pins would be movable upward or downward to met storage needs. However, if known what is desired up front, the easiest way would be to have ETI construct shelves during the build. I knew ahead of time exactly what I would be storing in my 5.0TA’s wardrobe closet and wanted two shelves at specific heights. I believe at that time the price per shelf was $25 Canadian. I could have installed shelves myself, but they wouldn’t have matched the appearance of ETI’s carpentry and they would not have been available for the 8 weeks we spent camping and sightseeing on our trip home after pick-up.
Old 04-19-2020, 07:16 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Here is a picture of my e19 shelves, you can see the shelf support ends by the door, may have been 1/4 round moulding installed with nail gun.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1299.jpg  
Old 04-19-2020, 05:36 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 19'
Thanks all!

I did a tap test and I agree there seems to be vertical supports at the front, back and middle of the left wall. There also seems to be a vertical support at the back and middle of the right wall. I'm not certain if there is one near the front. That support/stud seems to be in front of the door where the bathroom wall extends ~1.5" into the walk way.

I'll use a stud finder to confirm. I should have thought of that first!

Sam
mistertinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 06:04 PM   #7

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
I used 3M VHB

I used 3M VHB tape to bond wood strips to each fore and aft wall. Attached to the strips were shelf tracks with mega multiple slots to attach shelf clips. I used 1/4" oak ply for shelf material, stiffened with front edge quarter round glued in place that also stops things from sliding inward towards the door. I've not gone on any significant trips, but they're holding so far. I didn't want to screw the forward strips to avoid the bathroom wall. There's a friction fit of the shelves against the tracks, and that increases their stability. Time will tell. A trailer going down the road is a moving earthquake, as Donna wisely states.

Image is of the shelf strips.
Attached Thumbnails
2117479.jpg  
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
19', shelves, wardrobe