Shower floor drain tiles - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2018, 01:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 21' Escape - 2018
Shower floor drain tiles

We noticed these tiles in a campground in Gull Lake, SK on our way home from the rally. After some internet searching I found them at at Rubber Flooring. See link.
https://www.rubberflooringinc.com/in...-grip-loc.html

You can trim to size with a sharp Stanley knife, I also used my table saw for some of the longer cuts but a good knife with a straight edge should work fine. Less than $20.00 usd to do the shower floor. No slip, no standing in a pool of water after the shower ends.
Attached Thumbnails
20180624_133334.jpg  
1Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 02:00 PM   #2

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I used those last year. Ended up tossing them as gunk was building up on them and it wasn't washing out. And it was starting to stink, which is what alerted me to the issue. Tried a scrub brush. Tried soaking it in the bathtub at home with soap and bleach. They ended up in the trash.

I did like using 'em while I did, though. I know others have used them as well (and teak ones) so maybe they have better luck than I do in keeping the gunk off it.

Now I just fling down a small rug from Bed, Bath and Beyond so my feeties aren't cold for that middle of the night dash to pee. Obviously I take it out when I shower.

However, with using that rug, I've also learned that I need to make sure I've squeeged out ALL of the water after taking a shower. Otherwise, if you're not wearing shoes or whatnot, you'll need to change your socks as they'll get awfully wet when you step on a rug that's quite wet from absorbing all that excess water.

I now have an extra rug as it takes a long time to dry if you're not able to put it outside in the sun (even after wringing it out).
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 02:02 PM   #3

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Oh, another advantage of not using those and just the bare floor. If you're not exactly level when you take your shower, you get to get in your leg exercises by pushing the water in to the drain. Some days more than others.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:11 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Oh, another advantage of not using those and just the bare floor. If you're not exactly level when you take your shower, you get to get in your leg exercises by pushing the water in to the drain. Some days more than others.
Hi: NW Cat Owner... Drain, drain, go away... back up again another day.
We use a dollar $tore small rubber bath mat on the floor. Doesn't matter if it gets wet!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 02:35 PM   #5

Trailer: 21' Escape - 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I used those last year. Ended up tossing them as gunk was building up on them and it wasn't washing out. And it was starting to stink, which is what alerted me to the issue. Tried a scrub brush. Tried soaking it in the bathtub at home with soap and bleach. They ended up in the trash.
Thanks for your insight. We will have to watch this as it was my first concern / thought when I saw the pattern. We used something similar in our Casita and rinsing on a regular basis worked out ok, but this is a different design and material. We don't full time and keeping our unit ventilated during storage we didn't have a problem. Time will tell.
1Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 02:40 PM   #6

Yeah, I thought with regular "rinsing" from the shower it would be enough, but obviously it wasn't. That's why I posted what I did - to give you a heads up on what could happen. I really did like how it looked, so was quite bummed when it started stinking and I realized where it was coming from.

At the time I had the ETI installed vent on top of the roof for the black tank, so I thought the smell was coming from that. Eventually I realized it wasn't. (Well, there was, but that's another story.) Pulled the mat and ICK!

Gotta say it is warmer on your feet than the bare floor. Until they're surrounded by the water that hasn't drained down.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:23 PM   #7

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i used one with my last trailer no noticeable gunk or smell but i didn't love the feel on my feet. i like the bamboo ones more but haven't done the mod yet. but just a rubber mat might be the easiest.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:03 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
i used one with my last trailer no noticeable gunk or smell but i didn't love the feel on my feet. i like the bamboo ones more but haven't done the mod yet. but just a rubber mat might be the easiest.
Hi: Fox hunt... Have I said, "I do easy really well"? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 05:19 PM   #9

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I've had Dri-Dek installed since I bought the trailer, haven't noticed any issues with it. We do remove it when showering.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:59 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Bamboo Shower Mat / Grate

We just got this Bamboo Shower Grate on Amazon for $25. It feels solid and it's a very good fit for the Escape 21 bathroom floor. It's light weight too. I'm thinking we will put it outside the bathroom door while showering and put it back in the bathroom when we are done. It's says you can leave in the shower while showering if you choose. We have not had a chance to use it yet, but it looks and fits good in our bathroom. I don't expect it to last forever, but for $25 we thought we would give it a try.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
shower mat.jpg  
Old 06-27-2018, 04:21 PM   #11

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
anyone know how big is the floor in a 5.0 (new style)?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:32 AM   #12

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 SD (sold); 2017 Escape 21 due 06/17; Tow 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 4X4
Dri Deck

We had Dri Deck in our Casita for seven years and now have it in our Escape. Never had any problems, works great for us.
hollis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollis View Post
We had Dri Deck in our Casita for seven years and now have it in our Escape. Never had any problems, works great for us.

Yay! Good to hear it worked for someone else as I was quite bummed when it didn't for me.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:24 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have always had good luck with one of those wooden teak/bamboo mats that keep your feet dry but allows drainage.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:32 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We have the dri-DeK tiles and they’ve been a good solution. Inexpensive, 10 minute easy installation, custom fit with simple cut, and no maintenance required.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:39 AM   #16

Those of you that haven't had the stinky gunk problem that I did - do you leave it in when you shower? I saw that one person takes it out. A rug is easier to stash somewhere (for me) than the tiles while showering. I left mine in while showering, so I'm wondering if that's the difference.
Thanks!
Old 06-28-2018, 11:51 AM   #17

Trailer: Scamp 16, TV Rav4 V6
I use the rubber bath mat, I cut it to fit. Water drains fine. Use the suction cups to stick to bathroom fiberglass wall to dry. When it is dry place onto floor again. Stops your shoes from scuffing up floor and is quiet. No matter what kind of decking you use it will get wet, then you have to find a place to dry it. I find this easier. Carl
civi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:39 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
We have the dri-DeK tiles and they’ve been a good solution. Inexpensive, 10 minute easy installation, custom fit with simple cut, and no maintenance required.
Another dri - deck user for 5 years now . Love teak wood but don't care for the maintenance. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:15 PM   #19

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We tried the Dri-Deck but it was uncomfortable on bare feet. Thus, we went with DuraGrid (Interlocking Floor Mats | Indoor/Outdoor Floors | Flooring Tiles) which you can find on Amazon.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:07 PM   #20

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
We tried the Dri-Deck but it was uncomfortable on bare feet. Thus, we went with DuraGrid (Interlocking Floor Mats | Indoor/Outdoor Floors | Flooring Tiles) which you can find on Amazon.

We went with these.
https://www.rubberflooringinc.com/in...-grip-loc.html

We needed 4 to do the floor of our 19. They are comfortable to stand on and we have not had the junk building up problem. I do clean under them at times and when we shower I spray a little shower cleaner on the floor and walls afterwards.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote