Skid Wheels? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2015, 11:51 PM   #1

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Skid Wheels?

Has anyone installed skid wheels to prevent dragging the rear of the frame on steep drives or extra rough roads or fords? I'm considering something like these on the rear bumper. Thoughts?Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450504243.022700.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	14273
Old 12-18-2015, 11:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You're confident that the wheel will turn when it hits an obstruction? What if you back into something that isn't sloped, but sticks up enough to contact the centre of the wheel?
I'd save my money. I've never come close to scraping my trailer bumper.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:06 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Never a scrape on my 21 either.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 05:38 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
There is good clearance with Escape trailers, and it was rare that I was even close to hitting, though if a drive truly was that steep, they could possibly be handy.

That looks like a good mounting solution, but I would put them on the frame, not the bumper. That way you could slide them forward so that they allowed move clearance, and position them so that they would hit something just before the bumper. Plus, I would be inclined to use a stationary wheel, not a swivelling one, as most times you are going pretty straight backwards.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:30 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
I have a very steep drive. My Casita dragged. The 21' does not even with the 1Up bike rack. I was thrilled!

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:05 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
On my former trailer, a 1968 Aristocrat that was built low, I scraped the back getting into my driveway. I had skid wheels welded to the back of the frame. We first tried swiveling ones and they didn't swivel as needed so we went to fixed wheels.
https://www.etrailer.com/Skid-Wheels...48-979022.html

Edit: Don't need them with the Escape 19 but I was glad I had them on the Aristocrat for my driveway and getting into gas stations.
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 02:47 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I wouldn't bother with the swiveling feature, as it seems more likely to fail than to be useful. It also forces the wheel to be small in diameter, so it won't roll well.

If the same point on the trailer (rear bumper?) always hits first, then well-placed wheels (or just skids) seem like a good idea to me. My motorhome (which has the same long-overhang issue as a trailer) doesn't have any, but a neighbor's motorhome with a much lower-mounted hitch on the back does have skids at the hitch mounting points - each unit has what suits it.

A larger wheel makes more sense to me. Rather than the swiveling wheel or the mini-rollers below the frame, I would rather run a bolt horizontally through the frame as an axle for a much larger wheel positioned right beside the frame (and of course projecting down a suitable amount). For instance a hand truck wheel (with a solid rubber "tire") could go onto the frame just ahead of bumper, protruding above the top of the 3" tall frame and further below it.

Regardless of the wheel or skid design, I think anything like this should hang down only barely below the clearance line of the trailer, so it doesn't cause more problems than it solves. That would normally mean mounting it well ahead of the rear face of the bumper, if it hangs down from the frame significantly.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 02:54 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That would normally mean mounting it well ahead of the rear face of the bumper, if it hangs down from the frame significantly.
Kinda like the wheels that are already on the trailer?