Solar panel brands - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2021, 11:00 PM   #1
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
Solar panel brands

I plan to mount a 180W-200W panel on our E19. I have restricted my design to a rigid panel. In terms of panel brand and voltage output, some experience from the forum would be helpful. A have reviewed some of the major brands; Grape Solar, Renogy, Rich Solar, Zamp, Go Power.

Zamp is significantly more expensive and it appears from their website, they are phasing out their legacy line towards a higher end, thinner panel (Obsidian). On a $/W basis, quite expensive. 170W panel is $600 for their Legacy series.

Renogy has excellent marketing but has minimal technical support. Hard to get ahold of their customer support also. 200W panel (63.8" x 25.9") is $300. Will Prowse stated in his latest video that Renogy always underperforms spec.

Rich Solar polycrystalline panels are liked by Will Prowse. They have minimal technical or customer support; I have not been able to get a returned call. 200W panel (58.7" x 26.8") is $210. They also have a 24v model, 200W (same size) is $220.

Go Power is supplier on OEM ETI. They have technical support personnel that you can call with minimal effort. 190W panel (58.3" x 26.5") is $432 (Amazon)

Grape Solar has technical support personnel that you can contact. 200W panel (61.2" x 28.1") is $195 (Home Depot).

I will be using a Victron SmartSolar MPPT controller.

So the questions. Experience with these panels in terms of quantified output compared to quoted output would be helpful. Experience with durability. Experience with warranty if needed. Is there a brand I have not reviewed that you recommend that I consider? Thanks in advance.
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15A
So far, I'm very happy with the Rich Solar mono 200w panels (4) atop our 15A; purchased direct from Rich Solar.

Also had a pair of 170w Newpowa mono panels that were good too; purchased from Amazon.

I think most of these panels probably come out of the same factory in China (well, not Zamp).

I also have a Merlin 170w portable panel I use mostly for the LandCruiser or LBZ when sitting more than a day or two to keep the batteries charged (refrigerator/freezers in both pull vehicles too); its a great panel but much higher $/watt...but its foldable, lighter and smaller form factor that rigid...and seems to gather more solar when cloudy compared to the mono panels listed above.
Old 05-08-2021, 12:33 AM   #3

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
FWIW - A solar panel is a piece of silicon that generates electricity from light. I’d expect you won’t need tech support on the panel... the mounting of the panel, yes, but not the panel. So I’d suggest going with the lower cost panels that have little or no tech support.
splitting_lanes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 09:48 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
You might add to the list the 195 watt Eco-Worthy panel at $168.59.

Rated Power: 195W
Open Circuit Voltage (Voc): 21.6V
Short Circuit Current (Isc): 10.83A
Working Current (Iop): 9.02A
Output Tolerance: ±3%
Temperature Range: -40℃ to +80℃
Size: 58.3*26.3*1.4 inch (1480*668*35 mm)
Weight: 29.2 lbs (13.2kg)
Old 05-08-2021, 10:50 AM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Re: PV panel Tech Support and Warranties

It strikes me that the meaningful and practical value of both of these items comes to an end upon receiving a panel intact and functional. That is to say, once we get a panel delivered that's not damaged (and these things with a big sheet of glass are obviously subject to a relatively high risk of shipping damage), and find it does indeed produce electricity (manufacturing glitches happen), then we're likely done with dealing with the vendor.

How a vendor helps resolve shipping damage and replacement strikes me as an important consideration. IF the vendor doesn't promptly and actively assist with shipping damage claims those can be a long-drawn out process to resolve with the shipping company (BTDT with lessons learned relating to other types of products). There area few vendors with written policies for shipping damage replacement which are quite protective of the buyer; purchases from Home Depot with in-store pickup for example, afford an opportunity for inspection before acceptance and immediate zero-hassle rejection and re-order without any paperwork or logistics effort on the part of the buyer whatsoever. Products specifically designated as "sold and shipped by Amazon" seem to enjoy a relatively low-hassle damage return policy; there may be others.

Having read the text of the long-term workmanship and 'performance / performance degradation' warranties of all PV panels I'm considering, it strikes me that those would likely be very difficult to 'document and claim'. I suspect that the time, hassles, and terms relating to return shipping, would in most cases render making a successful (i.e. ultimately 'satisfying' in terms of time, effort, and dollars) claim an impractical dream.

Comments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
You might add to the list the 195 watt Eco-Worthy panel at $168.59.

Rated Power: 195W
Open Circuit Voltage (Voc): 21.6V
Short Circuit Current (Isc): 10.83A
Working Current (Iop): 9.02A
Output Tolerance: ±3%
Temperature Range: -40℃ to +80℃
Size: 58.3*26.3*1.4 inch (1480*668*35 mm)
Weight: 29.2 lbs (13.2kg)
The absence of Vmpp and Impp specs (I couldn’t find them on the website) is a tad concerning for me. YMMV.
Old 05-08-2021, 02:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Check out this YouTube video from Will Prowse
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 04:54 PM   #7

Trailer: 2022 5.0TA
It sounds like you are looking for a panel that's around 60in long, compatible with a 12V system.

You mention a $600 panel, so here's an interesting option: Solaria PowerXT 400W 65in by 47in for $388 plus expensive shipping: https://tandem-solar-systems.com/pro...-solar-module/

Another option is HQST 190W 60in by 26.8in: https://hqsolarpower.com/190-watt-12...el-back-order/

Santan has used 200W panels for as low as $50, but shipping would be close to $200. Shipping costs could easily tip the cost considerations toward Home Depot.

There's a discussion dedicated to do-it-yourself solar panels here: https://diysolarforum.com/forums/solar-panels.57/
richm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 04:18 AM   #8

Trailer: dont know
Choosing a quality solar panel from hundreds of models and manufacturers can be difficult. It is important, for example, to know where and how solar panels are produced, their technical characteristics, and what the brand specializes in.
ceerzasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 03:54 AM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I'll be copying this build. 3 flexible panels taped to the roof. I prefer not to see the panels from the ground.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...9-a-17884.html
Old 04-15-2022, 08:37 AM   #10

Trailer: dont know
Based on this information, you can make certain conclusions not to make a mistake when buying and choose a reliable company whose products have proven themselves in the best way. The main brands of panel manufacturers are LG Energy, REC Group; SunPower; Panasonic; Hanwha Q Cells; Trina Solar, and many others. They use a reliable tools such as tumbler clamps to install solar panels. Most firms that purchase brand-name solar panels also purchase toggle clamps simultaneously, thanks to sandfieldengineering.com
ceerzasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 08:38 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
So far, no worries, mate.
Attached Thumbnails
solarHD.jpg  
Old 05-17-2022, 06:06 AM   #12

Trailer: class B camper van- 2021
You can go for sunpower, tesla, lg neon, trina but it also depends on your budget and number of panel you need. Plus your climatic conditions also defines which solar panel is best for your house. you also need to consider what kind of solar panel is more suitable for your roof so, they can last for a long lifespan.
levi&live72 is offline   Reply With Quote