Solar panel install - how to wire to batteries - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-19-2020, 11:52 PM   #1

Trailer: Rpod 2014
Solar panel install - how to wire to batteries

Hi all,

I have a lovely 2010 15B trailer and am installing an 80W solar panel for my next trip. I don't have a good understanding of how the DC power system works, so my question is this : There are two 12V batteries on the trailer (one inside by the seating and one outside at the front beside the propane tank) : when I am connecting from the solar controller, do I connect the positive to one battery and negative to the second battery, or both leads to the same battery? I am uncertain if I put them to one battery if they will both charge.

Thanks in advance,
Rob
Redlightrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 05:11 AM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
As long as there is no battery selector switch you can connect to either battery to charge both. If you have a switch, it would look similar to this.
Attached Thumbnails
switch.jpg  
Old 07-20-2020, 08:46 AM   #3

Thank you!
Old 07-20-2020, 10:49 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I take it that these are two 12V batteries, not the usual two 6V batteries.

I'm a great fan of having two 12V batteries. If that's what you have then a battery selector switch is the way to go. It isolates each battery and pretty much guarantees that you suddenly have no battery power because one is always in reserve.

If they're not the same age and type then charging them separately is the way to go.

If you have two 12V batteries and no switch they must be connected in parallel so it wouldn't matter which positive or negative terminals are used because the connection is positive to positive and negative to negative.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 03:17 PM   #5

Thanks, that makes perfect sense (it is two 12 volt batteries).
Old 07-20-2020, 03:35 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
As long as there is no battery selector switch you can connect to either battery to charge both. If you have a switch, it would look similar to this.
Is this a good switch to use? If you switch to Off and solar controller wire is connected won't it damage controller? Shouldn't solar panel to controller be disconnected first?
ChuckBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 04:03 PM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I think that's dependent on the controller, but I don't have a switch so it's not an issue. I like the Blue Sea products so that's the brand I would use. If I want to kill all 12vdc in my trailer I disconnect the batteries and pull the fuse from the panel, in no special order.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:35 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckBC View Post
Is this a good switch to use? If you switch to Off and solar controller wire is connected won't it damage controller? Shouldn't solar panel to controller be disconnected first?
With most controllers operating close to their current limits it is a good idea to turn off the solar input before disconnecting the battery. In the case of 2 12V batteries with a switch to choose between them, I'd install a switch of circuit breaker at the controller input, and disconnect the panels before switching.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:07 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I think that's dependent on the controller, but I don't have a switch so it's not an issue. I like the Blue Sea products so that's the brand I would use. If I want to kill all 12vdc in my trailer I disconnect the batteries and pull the fuse from the panel, in no special order.

I thought you meant Blue Sky products, but checking that out, I find that Blue Sea makes the battery disc. switches.

Blue Sky does, indeed, make solar controllers (like the excellent one we have in our Escape).
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote