Solar Panel Mounting - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-16-2020, 05:27 PM   #41

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Got any notion of the panel brand / manufacturer? Just curious because 1) I'd imagine product quality can vary; 2) some folks here using Lexsun 'flexibles' for at least a year haven't raised any 'flags' (yet?).

(I've eliminated 'flexibles' from my plans, mainly because a rigid framed panel is easier to rig for tilting, at least by my scheming)
Going on 3 years now with our Lexan panels and very happy . Victron charger and battery monitors . Everything is working as it should . Ours are taped on the roof with etherbond tape Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 05:39 PM   #42
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
My kids flex panels were probably like 6-8 years ago, as thats when he had his vanagon westie. and it was probably fleabay chinese stuff.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 05:47 PM   #43

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
My kids flex panels were probably like 6-8 years ago, as thats when he had his vanagon westie. and it was probably fleabay chinese stuff.
Thanks - methinks that's "enuf said" in the way context for that particular anecdotal experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Going on 3 years now with our Lexan panels and very happy . Victron charger and battery monitors . Everything is working as it should . Ours are taped on the roof with etherbond tape Pat
I'm reading 'Lexan' as "Lexsun", assuming spell-check gigged ya

Good to hear of your positive 'flexibles' experience to date (they certainly lend to a 'clean' installation, IMO)
Old 12-16-2020, 05:55 PM   #44

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Could he get the bad ones off? That's the part I worried about when gluing down the flexibles.
That is a legitimate concern. However, 3M's website gives details for removing items bonded with VHB. They even sell a tool to take off the residue without damaging the surface. I also had experience from working in aviation where we had to remove items bonded with VHB as well.

I can't comment on removal of other bonding products.
Mark B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 07:02 PM   #45

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Thanks - methinks that's "enuf said" in the way context for that particular anecdotal experience.

Good to hear of your positive 'flexibles' experience to date (they certainly lend to a 'clean' installation, IMO)
There are many others here on the forum also with same results like ours too . Yes the darn spell check if you don’t catch it . I believe Jim B. Was one of the first to use these panels . Our biggest test so far was at Quartzite last Feb . Our heater was on day and night and showers every night . A couple hours after day break and our 2 , 6 volts were back up . 5 days and nights . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 01:47 PM   #46

Trailer: ESCAPE #3 COMING - 19 FT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B1 View Post
That is a legitimate concern. However, 3M's website gives details for removing items bonded with VHB. They even sell a tool to take off the residue without damaging the surface. I also had experience from working in aviation where we had to remove items bonded with VHB as well.

I can't comment on removal of other bonding products.
I had etfe panels on a northern lite camper. They worked well no problems. Installed with vhb 4950 and flex seal around edges leaving lots of spaces for drainage. Purchased from amazonand shipped from china. I may do same on the new 19 coming in august. Paid a little more but think the extra gets a much better panel.

Cheers. Ken
ESCAPE #3, 19FT ON ORDER
TV - NOT YET, THINKING RIDGELINE OR F150
KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
kvermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 02:49 PM   #47

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
EFTE solar panel

Do you recall the brand or manufacturer of your solar panel?
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 03:22 PM   #48

Trailer: ESCAPE #3 COMING - 19 FT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
Do you recall the brand or manufacturer of your solar panel?
sorry dont remember name. but some are still shown on amazon. i think most etfe will be a more solid construction as compared to the std flex panel. the ones i had did flex but not nearly as much. after 2 years on the camper and 2 seasons in the az sun, they were in good shape.

cheers ken
ESCAPE #3, 19FT ON ORDER
TV - NOT YET, THINKING RIDGELINE OR F150
KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
kvermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 07:01 PM   #49

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Lensun
Old 12-17-2020, 07:10 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Thanks - can't blame that on spell-check
Old 01-02-2021, 12:08 PM   #51

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Cool

Well all this has got me thinking about buying a Lexsun 120w flexible solar panel for my roof. Would be a convenient power upgrade to my two portable 100w panels.

Pondering. Currently on sale at Lexsun for $195. Install would be on back, behind the AC with wires running down the fridge roof vent along wall behind bathroom, across to driver side dinette and out from there into the tongue box where the controller is located.
Old 01-02-2021, 12:37 PM   #52

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Well all this has got me thinking about buying a Lexsun 120w flexible solar panel for my roof. Would be a convenient power upgrade to my two portable 100w panels.

Pondering. Currently on sale at Lexsun for $195. Install would be on back, behind the AC with wires running down the fridge roof vent along wall behind bathroom, across to driver side dinette and out from there into the tongue box where the controller is located.
That sounds like a fun and worthwhile project to ponder. This would be to use either alone or concurrent with the portables, is that correct? I like that roofmount solar can be boosting the battery even when underway / not yet setup in a campsite.

IIRC you recently installed an MPPT controller, presumably with capacity for the addition of the Lexsun to your total array? Just curious, are the two portables connected in parallel or in series? How would the added Lexsun panel integrate with the current system bits (in parallel or series with the portable part of your array)?
Old 01-02-2021, 12:50 PM   #53

Quote:

I don't think they will fit. I installed 3 80w Lenson panels on my 2019 Escape 19 and they just fit the width of the top (raised) section of the roof at 37" long. I could not go any wider. The 120W at 41.7 inches would not fit my trailer. It looks like you have the first gen trailer and I don't think the top section is any wider. You can see how mine fit in this photo;
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040353.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	52971
Old 01-02-2021, 04:02 PM   #54

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Just measured my 19' 1st gen., and, back area is a flat 37 x 40". The Lexsun 120w is 41.7 x 27 inches. Looks like an undesirable push there. (bummer).

Correct, Alan, plan was to use it alone and/or in conjunction with the 2 portables when/if 300 total watts is needed. (Right - The perfect keep yourself busy pandemic project.) Both portable leads are currently spliced together and enter the MPPT controller. Would have simply added the roof unit lines to them.
Old 01-02-2021, 04:28 PM   #55

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B1 View Post
I installed 3 80w Lenson panels on my 2019 Escape 19 and they just fit the width of the top (raised) section of the roof at 37" long. I could not go any wider. The 120W at 41.7 inches would not fit my trailer.
I just ordered a 120W from Lensun for my 21NE. I measured the flat area on my front at ~ 41" x 57". I believe the panel will fit crosswise (and have room for a second). If not, it can go lengthwise. I wanted to do one and see how it goes. I intend to add at least one more if all goes well.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 04:29 PM   #56

Quote:
Just measured my 19' 1st gen., and, back area is a flat 37 x 40". The Lexsun 120w is 41.7 x 27 inches. Looks like an undesirable push there. (bummer).
Bummer indeed, Myron

But, I've faith that you'll come up with another pandemic diversion to share with us!

Old 01-02-2021, 04:42 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherminator View Post
I just ordered a 120W from Lensun for my 21NE. I measured the flat area on my front at ~ 41" x 57". I believe the panel will fit crosswise (and have room for a second). If not, it can go lengthwise. I wanted to do one and see how it goes. I intend to add at least one more if all goes well.
Once you have your panel and can test fit it to fit in more than one place, I would order the second panel and do them at the same time so you don't go through set up/clean up and connecting twice. My Lensun panels measured accurately to the advertised size, which is good as I used a cardboard template to check fitment on the roof before ordering. I actually checked fitment on my brothers 19 and had the panels before I had my trailer.
Old 01-02-2021, 04:56 PM   #58

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:

If the Lensun panels are that much I wonder what people think of the flexible SunPower panels? They are supposedly very high quality and used a lot on boats. 110W for $179 right now.
https://www.amazon.com/SUNPOWER-Port..._t1_B07C34GHGV
Old 01-02-2021, 06:15 PM   #59

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
If you really want a certain panel, you could use a variety of materials and methods to create a larger surface on the roof, but appearance, wind, and snow would have to be considered. I imagine most people will just choose a smaller size panel, but there are options for supporting flexible panels.
Old 01-02-2021, 06:39 PM   #60

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C "S.S. Iceburg"
Those do look like they could be a good option if the dimensions work better for your roof. Looking at the listings for that and other sizes from Sunpower, things that come to mind:

- What kind of backing do they have? Lensun has fiberglass backing, which is one thing that makes them better than earlier generation flexible panels.
- They don't all have the same voltage output. If you wire panels in parallel, you only get the voltage of the lowest one.

I was going to say that I'm inclined to stick with Lensun simply because they have 3+ years of success by our friends in this forum. However, a quick search turns up SunPower among the highest quality solar panel suppliers around. https://news.energysage.com/best-sol...plete-ranking/
kernwig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3m-vhb, panel mounting, solar mounting, solar panel, vhb