Solar Retro-Fit - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2016, 11:57 AM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Solar Retro-Fit

Hello! We're interested in purchasing a used Escape. If we do, is it possible to add on solar panels if the unit we purchase doesn't have them? Thanks!!
CamanoCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Hi and good luck in your quest for a used Escape. Yes, it is possible to add panels to the roof, but another option some folks opt for is portable solar panels. There has been a lot of discussion on external panels. If you go to the Search option toward to top and search for Portable Solar, you should find several threads with posts about it. Other folks here have added panels themselves to the roof and hopefully someone who has done it will comment here for you about their methods/experiences.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:27 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamanoCouple View Post
Hello! We're interested in purchasing a used Escape. If we do, is it possible to add on solar panels if the unit we purchase doesn't have them? Thanks!!
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...iler-8200.html
Old 07-07-2016, 12:36 PM   #4

Thank you so much!! We will check out these threads. Also - thanks for the Escape 19 link - this is the trailer we are hoping to purchase :-)
Old 07-07-2016, 12:40 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
And you live close enough to the factory that a day trip up there could get the solar installed...
Old 07-07-2016, 01:39 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamanoCouple View Post
We are in the process of purchasing a used 17B. ETI quoted us $925.00 for supply and installation of a 160W solar panel with a charge control system.

If you give ETI a call they might be able to look up the build sheet of the used trailer you are considering and let you know the options that were added. They can also provide you with a quote for any upgrades you might want to consider.
msweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:40 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by msweet View Post
We are in the process of purchasing a used 17B. ETI quoted us $925.00 for supply and installation of a 160W solar panel with a charge control system.

If you give ETI a call they might be able to look up the build sheet of the used trailer you are considering and let you know the options that were added. They can also provide you with a quote for any upgrades you might want to consider.
Very excellent useful advice.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:48 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Very excellent useful advice.
A quick phone call to them and I am now planning on spending a couple thousand dollars more on a trailer I don't yet own!
msweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 03:14 PM   #9

Thanks all! We hope to become Escape owners soon and will keep you posted.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:27 AM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
I bought a used 19'and one of the first things I did was add a portable solar panel with 1/4" stereo connectors.

Recently I purchased the bathroom fan upgrade from ETI. I wanted to add solar to the roof, so instead of putting a hole in shell I installed a cable gland in the fan flange and connected 10 gauge cable from the junction box to the cabin. The junction box is adhered to the roof with 3m tape and adhesive caulk. I have yet to install any panels.
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:07 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Add Solar

We purchased a previously owned 19. Last year on our west coast trip we stopped at the factory with this trailer after calling ahead and making an appointment. They installed solar, changed us over to dual 6 v batteries and added a surge protector. Worked out great and all is working well. We left the trailer there for three days while we went over to Banff and Jasper. You'll like the solar, lets you camp where you like without worrying about having enough battery power.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote