Solar RV company near Lynden KOA? Shunt install - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2016, 01:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Question Solar RV company near Lynden KOA? Shunt install

Hi all

I will have ETI add in the Trimetric wiring harness during the build, and I’ll buy the proper shunt and a TM-2030-RV (ETI won’t install the whole system)

We’ll have the all plug inverter, and 2 roof solar panels + portable panel plug.

Are there any reputable and trusted Solar RV companies near Lynden / Bellingham KOA?

I think wiring in the shunt is above my pay grade.

I don’t have access to, nor have any experience with high current wiring, heavy-gauge wires, big crimpers, or compression fittings, such as those from Quick Cable.

We’ll do a night or two in Lynden KOA as a shakedown, and it would be cool to get the Trimetric TM-2030-RV happening early on.

After Lynden KOA we head south, eventually getting to Los Angeles (home)

I’m likely OK installing the actual TM-2030-RV myself. I can handle 4 small gauge wires.

Thanks!
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 02:02 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I can't help with anything in that area, but one of the best RV solar company's in the country is located in Springfield, OR (just east of Eugene). You could hit it on your way home. I suggest contacting them in advance to see if they have what you need or if they can schedule you in.

AM Solar, Springfield, OR
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 02:11 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
I would suggest AM Solar in Springfield Oregon. They have been in business for over 25 years installing solar on RV'S. I had them install my complete solar charging system on my way home after picking up my trailer in Chillawack. Their service was great and I highly recommend them.
If you decide to use AM solar and want to time a stop on your way down, I'd make an appointment as soon as possible as they sometimes book months out.
craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 02:16 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
There is so much to deal with when first getting the trailer and "shakedown" on the way home I don't think I'd personally add to the information overload by messing with the tri-metric. Take the time to verify all that comes with the trailer is working and take some fun day trips out of Lynden and just enjoy. We did Vancouver and Vancouver Island during our time in Lynden and had a ball. Mess with the tri-metric after you get home.
Donna is recommending the best, but I've heard it's about a year to schedule an appt with them right now.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
There is so much to deal with when first getting the trailer and "shakedown" on the way home I don't think I'd personally add to the information overload by messing with the tri-metric. Take the time to verify all that comes with the trailer is working and take some fun day trips out of Lynden and just enjoy. We did Vancouver and Vancouver Island during our time in Lynden and had a ball. Mess with the tri-metric after you get home.
Donna is recommending the best, but I've heard it's about a year to schedule an appt with them right now.
Thanks Greg - all good thoughts.

I just spoke with Dave at AM solar... he was super cool, and helpful.

Depending on how ETI leaves all the negative wires (on a post, by the battery, with a jumper to the main negative .... or if they leave it otherwise) it might be only 30 minutes to instal the shunt.... longer if they are making cables, and moving cables around.

and a very small job like this they can fit in, in the winter, with some advance notice.

it would be on our way home - and there are NO RV solar experts in LA, so even if i got just the shunt installed ... that would be awesome.

I can mess with the Trimetric after I get home. as you wisely suggested.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:10 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
That's good news that they can handle this for you, I've only heard great things about AM Solar. Dave has helped me answer a few questions in the past and he is very good. I'd definitely go with that plan and you'll know you have the shunt in correctly when you get back from the trip.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:12 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
and a very small job like this they can fit in, in the winter, with some advance notice.
I love it when a plan comes together
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:03 PM   #8

Trailer: April 2016 Escape 19
Send a message via Skype™ to redtaco99
The shunt is the easy part. You just need 1 short heavy gauge wire. I would research your local battery guys to make one for you. Take the wires off the battery negative terminal and attach to the shunt. The other half of the shunt is connected directly to the battery negative terminal with the short heavy guage wire. Easy peasy. If you are not comfortable with this, any garage can do this wiring in 5 minutes.

In my view, the hard part will be routing the 4 small gauge wires from your battery compartment to the location where you intend to install the display. They have to go out the bottom of the battery compartment, then brought into the trailer, probably where the heavy battery cables are brought in. The part that is outside probably needs to be in a loom to protect it from the elements. It needs to be routed to the preferred location, in a manner that is out of sight. My recommendation would be to try and get ETI to install those 4 little wires for you when they do the trailer wiring harness. It will save you a lot of headaches.

Right now Im wishing I had thought of installing a SiriusXM antenna on the roof before the build. Routing that little antenna wire is going to be a real pain...I should have got ETI to do it.

Good luck with your build.
redtaco99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:31 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by redtaco99 View Post
Right now Im wishing I had thought of installing a SiriusXM antenna on the roof before the build. Routing that little antenna wire is going to be a real pain...I should have got ETI to do it.
My Sirius antenna just sits on the counter next to the receiver, but I don't have reflectix. Signal passes through the fibreglass. If needed, I'll toss the antenna out a window.