Solar wiring - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2021, 01:22 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Solar wiring

I have a question for the electric gurus. I have taken a look at the wiring for the solar controller. I see the 10 gauge coming in to the controller and then the looks to be 8 gauge coming out. On the battery there is only one cable connected externally. Am I to presume that the solar controller out is fed back to the wfco and combined in a bus with the converter charger ? In my planned inverter install I am planning a victron power distributor. Which would live-near the batteries.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 02:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Escape wired my 2017 21C solar controller output directly to the battery (through a 30 amp thermal auto reset breaker).

The difference for mine is I have the "U" shaped dinette. It was a shorter run directly to the batteries from the solar controller than it the disconnect switch.
Old 08-29-2021, 03:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
I have a question for the electric gurus. I have taken a look at the wiring for the solar controller. I see the 10 gauge coming in to the controller and then the looks to be 8 gauge coming out. On the battery there is only one cable connected externally. Am I to presume that the solar controller out is fed back to the wfco and combined in a bus with the converter charger ? In my planned inverter install I am planning a victron power distributor. Which would live-near the batteries.
If you trace the positive output wire from the solar controller, you will probably find that it goes to a 30 amp thermal breaker, then to the input terminal of the battery cutoff switch, and then to the battery.

That one wire that is connected to the battery is the wire that goes to the battery cutoff switch.
Old 08-29-2021, 04:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
If you trace the positive output wire from the solar controller, you will probably find that it goes to a 30 amp thermal breaker, then to the input terminal of the battery cutoff switch, and then to the battery.

That one wire that is connected to the battery is the wire that goes to the battery cutoff switch.
Thanks
I assume that wire also carries the wifco charge voltage ?
Old 08-29-2021, 04:22 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Thanks
I assume that wire also carries the wifco charge voltage ?
Yep! But the WFCO connects on the other side of the battery cutoff switch so that the WFCO is isolated from the battery when the switch is off.
Old 08-29-2021, 04:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Yep! But the WFCO connects on the other side of the battery cutoff switch so that the WFCO is isolated from the battery when the switch is off.
That’s what I thought. That now makes sense. I have a standard dinette so the wires are hidden behind a trim panel , I may make a small change and the location of the fuses using the bus bar system of the victron distribution panel. I’m also upgrading the battery cutoff switch to a blue seas at this time. I am also adding a breaker for the solar panels to be able to shut them off when I’m changing batteries and to follow the newest code for solar panel wiring.