Springfield table post mod - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-05-2016, 07:17 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Springfield table post mod

Josie and I purchased a Springfield pedestal at the beginning of May and installed it before we left on our 6 month trip to the West coast. As we been traveling and using the table we found that during the course of a day it would very slowly slide down . So now we are in Banff for a few days I had time to do a simple on the road mod. Several times during our trip I adjusted the top clamp and it would work for a few days but still slid down but slower. If I adjusted the clamp too tight the top would be hard to pivot. Today I went to the hardware store and bought a 3" piece of ABS pipe and two hose clamps. Back at the campsite I cut a 3" wide vertical section out of the pipe and snapped it over the upper section of the table base . We been using the table with no downward slide this afternoon. As it turned out I did'nt need the hose clamps after all .
Attached Thumbnails
Table.jpg  

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:27 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Necessity is the mother of invention.....nice work.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Have never had the table up long enough to notice, but if no one else has had this happen then it may be a defect in the pedestal.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:25 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Springfield table post mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Have never had the table up long enough to notice, but if no one else has had this happen then it may be a defect in the pedestal.

I was thinking along the same lines. Sounds like the table lost pressure. Ours raises with quite a bit of pneumatic force, and you have to put a good amount of force on the table to lower it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2016, 10:54 AM   #5

The mod we created to keep the table at it's correct height is working out very well. Reading the answers in this thread got me thinking that the base might be defective. I spoke with the company I purchased the base from and they were willing to take care of the problem such as sending a new base if needed. We are still on the road in Canada and won't be home till mid November to make the switch. Sitting here this morning I decided to call Springfield Marine and spoke to their customer service department as it turns out our base is fine and works as it should. The base is not made to swivel but to be stationary when fixed at the proper height. The top will swivel when slightly loose allowing it to turn. So having the top swivel allows it to slowly retract downward .
So the answer is this mod is a success . Now onward to new mods.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
Old 06-07-2016, 12:13 PM   #6

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Clever mod
I bought a Springfield and I'm still thinking about how I want to mount our full size table to keep it sliding and it's current height.
It looks like you have the U dinette & it's smaller table... Do you rotate instead of slide your table & did you build up the mount to achieve the table height you want?
Thanks,
paul
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:34 PM   #7

Paul, yes we have the smaller table and with the mod we are able to swivel the top and also slide it front to back using the factory slide system . We have kept the post fully extended and the mod allows us to swivel easily . The ABS 3" pipe section is cut to 8 5/8 tall with a 3" slot cut out of it so it can snap on and off with some effort but easy. You could cut the pipe shorter if needed for a lower height. With the table up it's at 29 1/2" high.

Old 06-07-2016, 02:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2yax2go View Post
Paul, yes we have the smaller table and with the mod we are able to swivel the top and also slide it front to back using the factory slide system . We have kept the post fully extended and the mod allows us to swivel easily . The ABS 3" pipe section is cut to 8 5/8 tall with a 3" slot cut out of it so it can snap on and off with some effort but easy. You could cut the pipe shorter if needed for a lower height. With the table up it's at 29 1/2" high.
Thanks!
The bottom surface of our table is 31 1/2", so I need to add 2" to the height of the Springfield or raise the floor that much to get to the bottom of the ETI slider.
I've tried to contact Dicor to purchase their 4 way slider before I do anything, but they don't seem to be interested in retail sales .
EDIT:
I guess I take that last sentence back - I was just able to contact the right guy at Dicor and ordered the 4 way slide
Old 06-07-2016, 02:26 PM   #9

Very good on the slide. We like the lower height and find it more comfortable it at standard table height. We might add a second slide above the escape slide to have a complete setup but it will add another inch in height. The second slide will wait till we get back home.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw View Post
Thanks!
The bottom surface of our table is 31 1/2", so I need to add 2" to the height of the Springfield or raise the floor that much to get to the bottom of the ETI slider.
I've tried to contact Dicor to purchase their 4 way slider before I do anything, but they don't seem to be interested in retail sales .
EDIT:
I guess I take that last sentence back - I was just able to contact the right guy at Dicor and ordered the 4 way slide
Assembled the Springfield/Dicor/Full size table - It works slick
It's just tacked down so I could play with it....Heading up to ETI Weds to get the dinette floor raised.
Attached Thumbnails
new table ped.jpg   new table ped turned.jpg  
Old 06-16-2016, 09:32 PM   #11

Cool-i-O! Love da Springfield & Slide combo

While your there they may do some Q.C. like thy did for us. Among other things they drilled two small holes in the escape window frame near bottom to let standing water drain.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:20 PM   #12

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Cool-i-O! Love da Springfield & Slide combo

While your there they may do some Q.C. like thy did for us. Among other things they drilled two small holes in the escape window frame near bottom to let standing water drain.
Al the windows or a specific one?
Old 06-17-2016, 01:40 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The rear "escape" window on the drivers side holds water due to the shape of the trailer so drilling some 1/8" holes from the inside out thru the outer frame allows water to drain out...
Old 06-17-2016, 02:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Al the windows or a specific one?
It was the escape hatch window, which doesn't have the weep holes the other ones do. I used to see some standing water back there after some rain. Will have to check it next time it does- who knows when that will be though
Old 06-17-2016, 03:00 PM   #15

Thanks, I can drill a couple holes. Maybe I'll take a hose to it and see what it does, or doesn't.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:54 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
We also want to use the pedestal with a full size table in our 21. We plan to turn the table 90 degrees to the standard install so that it is easier to sit back against the cushions while 2 people using the table. Seeing that the pedestal (Springfield AND Dicor) will rotate when loosened means that we could also use the table as a bed platform per the original design.

Does the table wobble at all? With or without the ETI slide? with or without the Dicor slide?
Mountain_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:23 PM   #17

With the ETI slide and Springfield pedestal we get no wobble.
Old 07-01-2016, 06:39 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
With the ETI slide and Springfield pedestal we get no wobble.
Same here . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:42 PM   #19

With the table being 34" wide I believe you would only have about 12" of space left to sit if you turn the table sideways.

Most get the Springfield to make it easier to lower it into the bed position instead of pulling the table out of its twin sockets and storing the poles. That full-size table is somewhat heavy & awkward to do the above- especially solo.

As to wobble- the standard dinette the table is larger & heavier than the U-shape and that extra mass doesn't help. The Dicor slide is more rigid being a 23x34" aluminum frame vs. a 12x12"(unless its larger for standard d.) plywood with plastic slides. Our custom 22x27" table has virtually no wobble with the Springfield/Dicor combo. Most of the wobble people experience is from the stock two-pole setup in the doughnuts as they are not fixed in place.

Edit: Good to hear Bob & Pat have no wobble with full-size & ETI slide. That's what I would start with- you can always add the Dicor later, but it seems to be more beneficial with a smaller table in a U-shape dinette.
Old 07-01-2016, 06:55 PM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I would agree with that Ross. The ability to slide 4 ways is really only a benefit with the cut down table and the U shape. We just use the stock mount with the Springfield and no wobble. The ability to rotate the table is the best feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk