Stairs in 5.0...anything besides carpet? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2020, 06:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA
Stairs in 5.0...anything besides carpet?

We are down to either a 5.0 or the new 23' when it (finally) comes out. We'd love to get a used 5.0, but that seems like a needle in a haystack kind of search.

Anyways...if we go with the 5.0, I'm concerned about the carpet (on the steps especially) up to the bed getting gross (as carpet does over time). What have you all done instead of the carpet? I saw one where the treads were changed to solid oak and the runner was installed down them (lovely!!). Are there any options coming out of a custom build other than leave the carpet off entirely if we were going to do something else? Does getting out of bed (sleepily) make the carpet more of a necessity for slip prevention?

Also, I read a few posts that mentioned extending the bottom step out. Is that a factory option? Is it just for added safety? Worth it? Thoughts?

Thanks all,
Jackie
Jgntch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgntch View Post
We are down to either a 5.0 or the new 23' when it (finally) comes out. We'd love to get a used 5.0, but that seems like a needle in a haystack kind of search.

Anyways...if we go with the 5.0, I'm concerned about the carpet (on the steps especially) up to the bed getting gross (as carpet does over time). What have you all done instead of the carpet? I saw one where the treads were changed to solid oak and the runner was installed down them (lovely!!). Are there any options coming out of a custom build other than leave the carpet off entirely if we were going to do something else? Does getting out of bed (sleepily) make the carpet more of a necessity for slip prevention?

Also, I read a few posts that mentioned extending the bottom step out. Is that a factory option? Is it just for added safety? Worth it? Thoughts?

Thanks all,
Jackie
The carpet on the steps of the 5.0TA is glued down. In 5 years we have used our trailer for an average of 120 days/year (except for this year; thank you COVID-19) and the carpet is as good as new. It’s not like carpet on stairs in a home where it is traversed often. It only gets used when going to bed for a nap or for the night and generally when the person(s) climbing the stars are not wearing shoes. If the carpet ever gets “gross,” I will simply replace it with a higher quality carpet than ETI installs, maybe a Berber. Even at $30 or more/yard, the replacement carpet will be well less than $100.

As far as the main floor is concerned, I bought a remnant at a local carpet store for $55 and had two identical runners cut and bound for $40 to cover the floor from the bottom step to the table. It is easy to roll up and take outside for shaking out. The second remnant sits in a closet at my house, in the event the first gets “gross.” So far it hasn’t, and we only shampooed it once.

Not sure what you mean by extending the bottom step out, but the angled cut by the door could be hazardous. We have a small rectangular wastebasket from Ikea that uses plastic shopping bags. We place it on the second step just above the angled cut. If backing down the steps in the dark (or light for that matter), if your foot contacts the trash container, it “warns” you to move toward the center of the steps.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
The carpet in our 2007 5.0 showed no visible signs of wear when we sold it in 2018. Now it had only two steps up to the bed, not three, so as Carl said, it's a little tricky getting used to the shorter bottom step and initially I missed that step a few times, now I know just where to step. Extending the step out would not be recommended. You can modify it though like Jim Bennett did to put a heater in that space.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:50 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:

Anyways...if we go with the 5.0, I'm concerned about the carpet (on the steps especially) up to the bed getting gross (as carpet does over time).

Thanks all,
Jackie
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
The carpet on the steps of the 5.0TA is glued down. In 5 years we have used our trailer for an average of 120 days/year (except for this year; thank you COVID-19) and the carpet is as good as new. It’s not like carpet on stairs in a home where it is traversed often. It only gets used when going to bed for a nap or for the night and generally when the person(s) climbing the stars are not wearing shoes. If the carpet ever gets “gross,” I will simply replace it with a higher quality carpet than ETI installs, maybe a Berber. Even at $30 or more/yard, the replacement carpet will be well less than $100.

Not sure what you mean by extending the bottom step out, but the angled cut by the door could be hazardous. We have a small rectangular wastebasket from Ikea that uses plastic shopping bags. We place it on the second step just above the angled cut. If backing down the steps in the dark (or light for that matter), if your foot contacts the trash container, it “warns” you to move toward the center of the steps.
We likely have 100 plus days in our trailer as well. It seems we use the stairs much more than just going to or getting up from bed. As a preventative measure we use some cheap, thin towels on the stairs, they seem to grip the carpet and do not slide.

I think we each had an instance with the bottom step when we first got the trailer. I know many advocate going down backwards, but we no longer go down backwards, we find going down frontwards quite safe. Prior to getting the trailer I planned do do as others had done, put a couple hand rails on but we found that it wasn't necessary for us. It seems there is enough light in the trailer that even mid night trips to the restroom are no problem navigating the steps.

We slide to the bottom of the bed, stay to the right. It is so automatic that I am not exactly how, but I brace myself with either the corner of the shower or the cabinet on the left and then grab the stripper pole. We have had no mishaps that way and haven't missed the bottom step. Might not work for all, but for us it is a lot easier and safer than when we were backing down.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:47 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Steps

I did two things in my 5.0 after my wife slipped from the middle step to the floor and broke two bones in her ankle. I did extend the bottom step and added a hand rail to the driver side full closet. And we both navigate the steps much more carefully!
Attached Thumbnails
stairs1.jpg   stairs2.jpg  
Mark&Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:25 AM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I have roughly 400-500 nights in our trailer, no visible wear on the carpet. It's a bear to remove if someone wants to do such.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:12 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Magic carpet!!!

Quote:

Thanks all,
Jackie
Hi: Jgntch... We have owned both a 5.0 and 5.0TA and neither one have fallen down the stairs. I have intended to put in handrails too but so far haven't needed them. My only complaint is the fact that the carpet crushes down with foot traffic but a quick vacuum when home again fixes that. I think if the bottom step was extended towards the door it would become a trip hazard coming in and out of the trailer!!!
These trailers do have their "Ups and downs" Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:48 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Our carpet on the stairs after 3 1/2 years is starting to show a bit of wear, but nothing bad. We used a wee handheld steam cleaner on it and now it looks near new again.

I do plan on changing it out in the future to a short napped and darker brown colour, something a couple hours will take care of. The hardest part is getting all those darn staples out, though nowhere as bad as the many more steps in a house.

Personally, I would not use anything but carpet, both for safety and a better resting spot for a behind as many guests (and us too) sit there out of the way.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:18 AM   #9

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
We have a 2014. It has been slept in about 210 nights.

The carpet has worn well. I did modify the top step and needed to replace the carpet- I went with similar carpet.

It is safer for us to have a carpeted stair rather then another surface. We are either bare foot or in socks- so there is a good tactile connection.
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:26 PM   #10

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
I concur that I would stay with carpet. Not only is it a nice, non-slip surface, but is often used as a seat. I would not want to sit on bare wood. So far after 18 months of ownership, the carpets are wearing well.

I would worry more about hitting my shin on an extended bottom step than missing it in the night. We added teak grab rails on both sides that really help going up or down the stairs. These were purchased at a marine supply store. They come in different lengths. My wife sleeps on the passenger side and has not had an issue since installing the grab handles.

We tend to slide out on our bums and go down facing the rear of the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
E65EA088-E6CF-4FA8-80A7-0D8153B95203.jpg  
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote