Stairway Handle or Railing in 5.0TA - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2018, 01:32 PM   #41

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i find the steps slippery too and i worry about them. i might install treads i would prefer to get rid of the carpet and put down something less slippery. Not sure about a hand rail i will think about it. i have missed the bottom step and almost fallen.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:33 PM   #42

I'm sorry about your accident!!!
Old 10-03-2018, 01:48 PM   #43

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Mark, so sorry to hear of Elaine's woes. Hopefully she heals well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
Personally, I think installed carpeting in a RV is a silly idea.
Myself, I would much prefer carpet on stairs over just about anything. Carpet is not that slippery, especially compared to most solid surfaces. It is used on stairs only in home for the sake of traction, even when there is hardwood used. Carpet is also nice and warm underfoot. You can put a mat on the floor at the bottom for comfort, but not on the stairs with a solid surface.

Like when I used to do technical climbing, you keep your body weight centered directly over your feet. If you lean forward at all climbing into the loft of the 5.0TA, keep your butt sticking back to keep your weight over your feet. If you are leaning forward into the loft with your feet on the stairs, a bunch of your weight is pushing rearward and can cause your footing to slip. A hand rail is a good idea, but should not be used for pulling yourself up, but only to keep your balance while climbing up.

Until hearing here the issue of slippery stairs, like Alf the idea is news to us. We have never had an issue or even worried that we might. Even Jasper manoeuvres them fine, though he is a young 10 year old pup.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 02:45 PM   #44

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Would be nice for Escape to just include these items in their builds . Pat

And raise the price?
Old 10-03-2018, 02:54 PM   #45

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
They could offer a "mobility" option for seniors or others that require it, and provide a wider step, more handholds at doorways, bathrooms, and loft areas, and maybe even a cup beside the bed to keep your teeth in at night.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 02:57 PM   #46

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
Zardoz just curious did you use wood screws or drill through into closet and use machine screw?

Correction, after I wrote I realized, the handle is on back exterior shower wall.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 03:02 PM   #47

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
. . . and maybe even a cup beside the bed to keep your teeth in at night.

That's funny, Dave!
Old 10-03-2018, 03:13 PM   #48

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Of late when I've shown my 5.0TA to folks I make sure to mention that ascending and descending the stairs is something that needs to be considered when thinking about the trailer. Guess they could come out with the 5.0TA Silver Edition.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:20 PM   #49

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
And raise the price?
And safety really doesn't cost as much as broken bones ? To me it is common sense .Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 03:29 PM   #50

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
gives a whole meaning to the song "Stairway to Heaven"......
Old 10-03-2018, 04:14 PM   #51

My greatest concern is when I've had a couple of glasses of wine but wait a minute that's most evenings when I'm camping. I'm just extra careful because i can be a bit of a klutz
Old 10-03-2018, 04:46 PM   #52

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
My greatest concern is when I've had a couple of glasses of wine but wait a minute that's most evenings when I'm camping. I'm just extra careful because i can be a bit of a klutz
Hi: Fox hunt... Back to operator error!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 05:10 PM   #53

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
That's funny, Dave!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:53 PM   #54

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA pulled by Ram 3500 diesel dually
I'm still in the idea phase but the pic shows what I'm currently considering for the door-side of the stairs. Perhaps even with a section of the chrome tubing blocking access at the top to the door side of the stairs.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20181003_164739-1.jpg  
Old 10-03-2018, 07:42 PM   #55

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
It would be so easy in the 5.0 TA Silver Edition to put in an escalator. Just hang on and hit a button.
After taking care of both my parents, wrapping up their house and going through care facilities I learned a lot about fall risks and how easy it can happen. Elaine’s unfortunate accident ended with broken bones and that’s never good. Prayers for her to have a speedy and full recovery.
Everyone should give this some thought that have a 5.0, and with the creative group here I’m sure some good solutions will arise.
Other areas that are high risk are the entry steps in all the trailers, and there have been some good solutions with adding grab handles and dual steps. The raised floors in some of the newer trailers can also be trip hazards that could use some solutions.
We all want to stay out trailering as long as we can and if the stairs could be a potential issue for anyone, then something simple like removing carpet on stairs and replacing with some type of rubber grip material may prevent another accident like Elaine’s.
I know I’ve had some close calls on recent trips with the entry steps and I’m currently looking at how to make that safer.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:34 PM   #56

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
It would be so easy in the 5.0 TA Silver Edition to put in an escalator. Just hang on and hit a button.
After taking care of both my parents, wrapping up their house and going through care facilities I learned a lot about fall risks and how easy it can happen. Elaine’s unfortunate accident ended with broken bones and that’s never good. Prayers for her to have a speedy and full recovery.
Everyone should give this some thought that have a 5.0, and with the creative group here I’m sure some good solutions will arise.
Other areas that are high risk are the entry steps in all the trailers, and there have been some good solutions with adding grab handles and dual steps. The raised floors in some of the newer trailers can also be trip hazards that could use some solutions.
We all want to stay out trailering as long as we can and if the stairs could be a potential issue for anyone, then something simple like removing carpet on stairs and replacing with some type of rubber grip material may prevent another accident like Elaine’s.
I know I’ve had some close calls on recent trips with the entry steps and I’m currently looking at how to make that safer.
Once again Greg said very eloquently! I just says things very bluntly . Maybe your way will be listened to and taken to heart . No fun to get hurt . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:25 AM   #57

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
We bought an aluminum handrail from West Marine (https://goo.gl/xVjp71) and installed it as shown in the photos below (not the best photos, but that is what I had). You definitely want to reinforce the wall, or only the two screws closest to the corner will be in solid wood.

I agree that some type of handhold or handrail should be a standard feature. It is a safety problem.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20171004_173459.jpg   IMG_20171004_171456.jpg  
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 02:06 PM   #58

Trailer: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Agree, get that bath wall reinforced. I had the corner reinforced so I was able to add a custom oak railing. What is also very useful to to add a rail on either side at the top of the stairs.
Chris
This handrail seems to be an excellent idea that I would like to install on our 5.0. What are the dimensions of the wall handrail on the bathroom side of the stair case? Did you use a round rail with a flat bottom? What was used for the wall/rail attachment?
Also, all of your modifications are well done.
Thanks
Jim
Huntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 02:43 PM   #59

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntington View Post
Chris
This handrail seems to be an excellent idea that I would like to install on our 5.0. What are the dimensions of the wall handrail on the bathroom side of the stair case? Did you use a round rail with a flat bottom? What was used for the wall/rail attachment?
Also, all of your modifications are well done.
Thanks
Jim
The handrail works really well especially for those night trips.
Red oak stained to match, 1 1/4 inch round dowel. Vertical is 12 inches, the angle part is 24 inches.
Held on with 3 #8 or 10 screws with 1 1/8 inch aluminum pipe spacers. The joint has a double ended screw in it.
The trick will be to find appropriate framing in the wall.
Attached Thumbnails
spacer.jpg  
Old 02-09-2024, 03:56 PM   #60

Trailer: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
The handrail works really well especially for those night trips.
Red oak stained to match, 1 1/4 inch round dowel. Vertical is 12 inches, the angle part is 24 inches.
Held on with 3 #8 or 10 screws with 1 1/8 inch aluminum pipe spacers. The joint has a double ended screw in it.
The trick will be to find appropriate framing in the wall.
Thanks for the reply.
Did you have a reenforced wall to anchor the handrail? Also, what was the degree on the cut angle of the handrail connection?
Huntington is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2018 5.0 ta, stairs