Steel vs. Composite LP tank 5.0TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-12-2022, 04:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0TA - June 2022
Steel vs. Composite LP tank 5.0TA

Afternoon all, I recently finalized our build sheet and moving on to final phase, the build! As we look towards our pick up date one item that is lingering is swapping out the LP tanks from steel to composite.

Has anyone swapped these out and if so for what and how did you install them? Viking has a 22lb canister but the height is 2" taller than steel and I don't know what the dimensions of the current LP storage cabinet are. Anyone have dimensions or a photo of how close to the ceiling compartment it is?

For those interested I am attempting to shed some weight and I want to see my levels.

Thanks in advance!
Frisco Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 04:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco Kid View Post
Afternoon all, I recently finalized our build sheet and moving on to final phase, the build! As we look towards our pick up date one item that is lingering is swapping out the LP tanks from steel to composite.

Has anyone swapped these out and if so for what and how did you install them? Viking has a 22lb canister but the height is 2" taller than steel and I don't know what the dimensions of the current LP storage cabinet are. Anyone have dimensions or a photo of how close to the ceiling compartment it is?

For those interested I am attempting to shed some weight and I want to see my levels.

Thanks in advance!
Hi: Frisco Kid... We still have the 2/ 20# 'ers that came with the trailer in 2014. We had ETI purge and fill them. We might empty one per season. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030920.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 05:10 PM   #3

Sweet, thank you!
Old 02-12-2022, 06:31 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Don't forget that tanks have to be periodically re-certified or replaced. My tanks are stamped with the requirement that they must be re-certified within 12 years of manufacture if in the U.S. or within 10 years if in Canada. I don't know if the re-certification requirements are different for composite tanks.

In my area, its cheaper to replace the tanks than to get them re-certified.
Old 02-12-2022, 07:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
I had a composite tank I used for my grill and stove.
When it came time to recertify, none of the local propane companies could do the job... Was told the required process and equipment to do it were not worthwhile for them.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 09:33 PM   #6

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Floor to ceiling height of the propane compartment in my 2021 5.0 is 22-5/8".

As far as fitting a taller than 'standard' tank, the 'working height' height is effectively a bit less due to the hatch opening threshold and top height and how the tank must be angled-in to get it in the compartment.

EDIT :

Referring to this Viking webpage I see that the spec height for that 22# cylinder is 22-1/2" and the base is square-cornered at ~11-1/4" diameter.

Methinks that's not gonna fit in-and-out of the current 5.0 compartment which differs from Escape Artist's pictured above (the currrent compartment has a bottom-hinged hatch (drops down) and the hatch threshold is higher above the compartment floor than appears in that pic).

I'll try to post pics of my 2021 5.0 compartment tomorrow.
Old 02-12-2022, 10:16 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
Which begs the question, WHY do you want to replace the tank(s) with composite tanks. They are terribly expensive, as you noted, taller than regular tanks, many places will refuse to even refill them and as noted by PaulW, you will probably not find someone to re-certify them. I seem to recall that the recertification interval is much less than standard steel or aluminum tanks.

Edit: re-read you original post, 1) you want to see the levels. Note that you can buy 20 lb tanks that have actual float operated gauges in them, MUCH cheaper than the Viking tanks, which I think are not currently available. Flame King model YSN 230.

https://flameking.com/product/ysn230-2/

Flame King YSN230 at Amazon

If you want to pay more, Manchester also makes 20 lb tanks with gauges in the top of them operated by a float inside.

https://www.mantank.com/pdf/DOTCatalog.pdf

You can also get the Mopeka Tank Check system and read the tank levels on your phone or tablet via Bluetooth. I have this system and had problems until Mopeka replaced the standard sensors with the Pro model sensors and they have worked perfectly ever since then.

https://www.mopeka.com/

2) a full 20 lb steel tank weighs about 38 lbs (tare weight of a Manchester tank is 18 lbs, its a little heavier than the Flame King tank)

The Viking tank.......... https://vikingcylinders.com/shop/lifestyle/22-lb-vapor/ Note that you will need a new mounting tray system, and that the empty tank (tare weight) is 12 lbs. So for a savings of 6 lbs, not actually since you will have two more pounds of LP so a 4 lb savings, you get to spend an extra $30 each plus $40 for the mounting tray

One last thing, the Viking web site shows the 22 lb tank as out of stock, so unless you are lucky enough to find one or two at a reseller, you could be out of luck. These have been out of stock since before Thanksgiving I know, as I have researched this before.

Charles
Old 02-12-2022, 10:46 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
Which begs the question, WHY do you want to replace the tank(s) with composite tanks. They are terribly expensive, as you noted, taller than regular tanks, many places will refuse to even refill them and as noted by PaulW, you will probably not find someone to re-certify them. I seem to recall that the recertification interval is much less than standard steel or aluminum tanks.

Charles
I have a Viking composite tank, about 9 months old. So far, no issues getting it filled. Re-certify interval is 5 years - not the standard 10 or 12. My propane distributor is well equipped, very qualified, and I anticipate no issues with a certification.

But a note of interest: The tank is not exactly clear. It takes a good flashlight or direct sunlight to be able to see the level.

The best price I found was from Defender Industries.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 06:24 AM   #9

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Johnson View Post
Don't forget that tanks have to be periodically re-certified or replaced. My tanks are stamped with the requirement that they must be re-certified within 12 years of manufacture if in the U.S. or within 10 years if in Canada. I don't know if the re-certification requirements are different for composite tanks.

In my area, its cheaper to replace the tanks than to get them re-certified.
I had to have one re-certified or replaced. I just replaced it with a Rhino at Wal Mart. I didn't want to feel dishonest about it so asked the folks at Wal Mart and was told Rhino didn't care.
Old 02-13-2022, 09:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco Kid View Post
.... I don't know what the dimensions of the current LP storage cabinet are. Anyone have dimensions or a photo of how close to the ceiling compartment it is?
Just trying to be responsive to the request, please see the attached, this a 2021 Escape 5.0 with the OE propane tanks supplied by ETI which are 17" tall.

Avoiding any opinion / bias regarding Viking / composite tanks, based on physical constraints methinks
  • the Viking '22-pound vapor cylinder', having a spec height of 22", does not lend to placement within the pictured compartment
  • The Viking '17-pound vapor cylinder', having a spec height of 18.4", would lend to placement within the pictured compartment, but the base pan would need replacement to accommodate the larger base diameter
Hope that helps, Have Fun!
Attached Thumbnails
2021 LPG COMPARTMENT 02.jpg  
Old 02-13-2022, 10:03 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Are the tanks in the 5.0 model secured inside that compartment? Seems to me there is room for some shifting, both vertical as well as horizontally. On other Escape model with outside tanks they are secured via long threaded rods.
Old 02-13-2022, 10:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Are the tanks in the 5.0 model secured inside that compartment? Seems to me there is room for some shifting, both vertical as well as horizontally. On other Escape model with outside tanks they are secured via long threaded rods.
Yes, the hold-down threaded rod and top clamp that's identical to the tongue-mount setup is removed / missing (and the tanks not connected to the regulator) in the photo I attached because I am doing work in that compartment; I had to set the tanks back in place for the photo.

My work is totally unrelated to the OP's inquiry, I'm accessing the adjacent jack compartments and wiring therein via the removable side panels in the LPG compartment.
Old 02-13-2022, 11:19 AM   #13

These are all great points. I'm not sure composite is the best way to go without significant modification in height (which some have done) unless I go to a smaller composite tank, which would provide less LP (not willing to sacrifice). I have learned quite a bit here and appreciate all of the effort in which this community provides.
Old 02-13-2022, 05:09 PM   #14

Trailer: 2021 5.0 / Ram 1500 4X4 5.7 Hemi 5'7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
My work is totally unrelated to the OP's inquiry, I'm accessing the adjacent jack compartments and wiring therein via the removable side panels in the LPG compartment.
Do you mind if I ask what project you're working on now? I enjoyed reading through your modification thread and I'm excited to see what else you're working on.
kevin27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.0ta, lp gas, propane, tank, viking