Storage Box Question? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2020, 09:14 PM   #21

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
1/4" fiberglass thickness

An Escape likely doesn't have much, if any, 1/4" thickness of fiberglass and resin in it's construction. Why should a dinky storage box have that, or more?

Yeesh!
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 09:21 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
Storage Box

I love the Escape storage box. I didn't love the cost, thought it way overpriced. But, it's paid for itself. My batteries are well protected in the box. All my outside stuff needed to set-up in camp is stored in there. Sometimes, I even store some firewood in there.
Nice thing about the new storage boxes is the top is protuberant instead of indented. Having it indented reduces the inside height a couple inch's and the indent collects dirt and rainwater.
Gary
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:30 AM   #23

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkgman51 View Post
I love the Escape storage box. I didn't love the cost, thought it way overpriced. But, it's paid for itself. My batteries are well protected in the box. All my outside stuff needed to set-up in camp is stored in there. Sometimes, I even store some firewood in there.
Nice thing about the new storage boxes is the top is protuberant instead of indented. Having it indented reduces the inside height a couple inch's and the indent collects dirt and rainwater.
Gary
But, if you ever purchase a second Escape, the front box is "gratis" for a returning customer.....
Old 11-17-2020, 07:45 AM   #24

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
returning customer

What is "gratis" for a 5th wheel returning customer?
AZjack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:03 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You will have to do your own negotiation on that one Jack, you will probably be the first to have owned all the different Escape models........
Old 11-17-2020, 10:50 AM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
What is "gratis" for a 5th wheel returning customer?
AZjack
Good one Jack.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:02 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanb-72 View Post
The escape box looks a bit flimsy to me
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
An Escape likely doesn't have much, if any, 1/4" thickness of fiberglass and resin in it's construction. Why should a dinky storage box have that, or more?

Yeesh!
Folks have been mistaking flexible for low strength in FRP layups since the 50s when it first came into common use.

I've seen some of the early layups of things like a dinghy. Two men could barely lift it. But there wasn't any flex.

I have done very heavy layups, over 1 1/2" thick on a very large boat but that's an exception.

Personally my evaluation for the ETI box factoring in design criteria and finish is a 10/10. The only thing different that I'd do if I was making it would be to spray the interior with gelcoat.

Ron
Old 11-17-2020, 03:09 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
But, if you ever purchase a second Escape, the front box is "gratis" for a returning customer.....
cpaharley: Too bad I re-filled the propane tanks. I'll have to keep our 19 a little longer and loose out on that "gratis" box.
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 03:40 PM   #29

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We have a good number of items in the front box. While it may look disorganized to the uninitiated, I can pretty quickly retrieve what I need out of there. Though pretty utilitarian in nature, the front box and the outside hatch accesses are a couple of my Escape favorites. Everybody camps differently and values features at different levels. I would probably never have opted for an outside light on the drivers side but I use ours all the time. Same with the light strip under the awning. Nice ambiance or as we used to say in college “pure sex”.

Of course in 1967 the fuddy duddies of the Story County Grand Jury found Iowa State students guilty of “Moral Pollution” after an enterprising individual came up with a bumper sticker that said Iowa State University Home of Ames, Iowa. Must have hurt their feelings to read the truth. Oh well, they are not composing decisions anymore. They are decomposing in a pasture somewhere with the cows. I still get polluted every once in a while. Guess they were right.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-17-2020, 05:17 PM   #30

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
Ron in BC, Is it possible with a factory installed box to remove it and add the wedges? I like the look and the extra space it provides between both the box and trailer and between the box and the propane tanks.
Greatboatz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 05:44 PM   #31

I'm presuming the factory holds on the storage box the same way I mounted mine. If so the bolts are readily accessible.

The wedges I made are approx. 1 1/8" h x 11" long. That'd be a good starting point.

Ron
Old 11-18-2020, 11:16 AM   #32

Trailer: 2010 Escape 15a
I wish the factory box was taller so we could fit folding chairs or folding solar panel. There’s plenty of room between the currant box design and the bottom of the front window.
Kevin Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 11:37 AM   #33

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
Thanks Ron
Greatboatz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 11:40 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Dawson View Post
I wish the factory box was taller so we could fit folding chairs or folding solar panel. There’s plenty of room between the currant box design and the bottom of the front window.
When I built my bike trailer the grey plastic fenders were too narrow so I added a 4" wide aluminum strip to make them wider.

Maybe you could try adding a strip of aluminum around the top perimeter of the box wide enough to do what you want. Maybe you'd start a trend.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
cropped_resize.jpg  
Old 11-25-2020, 12:18 PM   #35

Trailer: None yet
That is absolutely beautiful.
Festus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:27 PM   #36

Trailer: 17A
I didn't originally get the storage box because of the price. I tried using a cooler in the space. Two years later I ordered the storage box. It's worth every penny.
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:16 PM   #37

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Well I for one take great exception to the wart designation for a tongue box other than the Escape factory one. I think theirs are ugly - they look odd-ball-tilted, and they are so ridiculously over priced.

Like Ron, and Habberdasher and others, built my own. You might say one man's wart is another man's dimple. Unfortunately I should have paid more better attention to size and potential proximity to the tow bumper. Well, the dimple served me well for 5 years. But recently, once again I failed to be alert when backing into my yard parking spot. Tow jackknifed too much. This time, it was terrible bad. The dimple has morphed into a wart. Time to cut it out and re-design with smarter dimensions.

It will be bigger than a bread box but smaller than a coffin.
Attached Thumbnails
tongbox1A.jpg  
Old 11-25-2020, 01:56 PM   #38

I don't mind the factory one anymore, given that it was free and it stands up nice and straight. So I didn't get to build one for the 21. Maybe that's why I built the rear cargo box. Like making those boxes.

You've gotten a lot of use out of that box. Yup, sometimes, with hindsight, a slight redesign can improve things.

Ron
Old 11-25-2020, 02:33 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpatch View Post
I didn't originally get the storage box because of the price. I tried using a cooler in the space. Two years later I ordered the storage box. It's worth every penny.
You're fortunate that you live so close to ETI; others have paid to have them freighted after realizing their mistake of omitting from the build sheet.

The older designs needed to be tilted as they have an "innie" vs. "outtie" lid. The latter a much better design for reducing environmental crud.

The front box is now what- $550 U.S.? Have you priced the Thule or Yakima roof boxes lately? Easily $500-$750+. To build one is splitting hairs at best on the cost. These factory boxes are well designed for the trailers and aren't as easy to jacknife into- not that it can't be done, however they are tapered so that helps.
Old 11-25-2020, 03:35 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post

The older designs needed to be tilted as they have an "innie" vs. "outtie" lid. The latter a much better design for reducing environmental crud.

The front box is now what- $550 U.S.? Have you priced the Thule or Yakima roof boxes lately? Easily $500-$750+. To build one is splitting hairs at best on the cost. These factory boxes are well designed for the trailers and aren't as easy to jacknife into- not that it can't be done, however they are tapered so that helps.
Yes, those of us who have the "outtie" lid can just put wedges under it and make the lid level without any drainage issue. I guess that since it's no biggie to put in wedges if you don't like the "falling forward" look it wouldn't warrant making a new mold.

To build one is splitting hairs. For some of us an opportunity to DIY isn't to be missed. Call it an addiction, an obsession or an over developed "can do" attitude, some of us never miss an opportunity to design and make something even though we could buy something ready made.

Ron