Storage Box Question? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-15-2020, 09:02 AM   #1

Trailer: 2021 21C
Storage Box Question?

I have recently placed a deposit on a 21C. I have decided to order with as few options as are necessary. Not because I would not like to have most of the upgrades but, more because I would like to install my own aftermarket items. One of the big question marks is the front storage box. I would really like to have a storage box up front but am considering a metal tongue box or truck chest instead of the fiberglass escape box. The escape box looks a bit flimsy to me and of course is 540.00. So my question is how much space is between the camper and the propane bottles? Has anyone done this with good results?
Thanks for any help!
Ryanb-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 09:35 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Have never seen an aftermarket box that didn't look like a wart compared to the factory one. Also, hard to imagine one costing much less, all said & done. Mine is 6 years old with over 60K miles and has zero problems.
Old 11-15-2020, 09:56 AM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
If you could see one......

You'd change your mind. Well built, functional, integrated design appearance to the trailer.........a truck box would look like a real add-on. I think the Escape one is very worthwhile.

All that said, my used rig did not come with one and winters are long and cold where I'm at......so I built one this past winter with materials I had on hand.

Some early construction pics:
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...box-17042.html

They are handy to have.
Attached Thumbnails
.jpg  
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 11:14 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
I don’t find the factory front box to be flimsy at all. I am however thinking about building a better cover for the propane tanks. A local shop will do it.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 11:26 AM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I at first didn't plan on getting the front storage box. After a little thought and comments on the forum, we added it to the build.

The front storage box is well built and I wouldn't at all consider it flimsy. What it is is a light duty storage box with a 100 lbs capacity that protects the front of the trailer and looks good doing it. I am very happy we got it, we only put our leveling blocks and WDH bars and garbage in there plus it is a secure spot for the battery.

Can you find another box for a cheaper price, probably not. Most tounge boxes are 18" deep, there is only about 14" between the trailer and the propane. Could I have built something, yes, I can build anything from wood to fiberglass to aluminum or stainless steel, but I prefer the Escape box. It adds to the beauty of the trailer.

I'm going to add a piece of stainless steel to the top of mine with an edge to set stuff on when hitching and maybe 2 blue LED lights to light up the front of the trailer.
Old 11-15-2020, 11:35 AM   #6

Another thought

We didn't order very much on our build. We were spending more than I anticipated. A few things I thought that were an easy add that aren't. Get extra USB outlets and the solar prewire, I didn't and am regretting it.
Old 11-15-2020, 01:40 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I built my own for my Scamp and E19 and was prepared to build one for my E21. But as a "returning customer" they threw it in for free. How could I refuse.

I never liked the "falling forward" look so I had it supplied uninstalled. I used wedges to make it more vertical. I like the look better.

There's nothing flimsy about it. Maybe appearances are deceiving you.

So, if you're handy you can make your own box as many of us have. You can buy a ready made box, they'll do the job but do look a bit out of place and clunky or you can spring for the factory box. Your choice.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
24-06-2019 8-24-31 PM_0038_resize.jpg   IMGP0045_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 02:16 PM   #8

Thanks For the replies!
Habberdabber - Your wooden box looks great!
Doug2000 - I guess the appearance is deceiving. Perhaps it is the forward looking design or the lack of gel coat on the box that makes me think flimsy? Great points on the USB and Solar prewire. Do you also consider the Zamp port a necessity?
Ron in BC - Great idea on leaving box for self mount. Looks like how I think it should. I noticed in both your pictures the protective front cover that appears to snap on. Is that factory or something you have added? I have not ever noticed them before.
Old 11-15-2020, 02:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanb-72 View Post
Ron in BC - Great idea on leaving box for self mount. Looks like how I think it should. I noticed in both your pictures the protective front cover that appears to snap on. Is that factory or something you have added? I have not ever noticed them before.
Actually it's an unusual situation. Jim posted a comment about his free tongue box for returning customers on the morning that I was heading out to pick up my 21. It'd been posted before but I'd forgotten about it. Thanks Jim

So I phoned them and asked for my free box. Since the trailer was heading out the door they'd already installed the vinyl rock guards. Great, they do a good job on the roads that I'm sometimes on. Others hate them. I'm glad to have them. So maybe mine's one of kind, don't know if they're being installed now or not.

Ron
Old 11-15-2020, 04:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
...I never liked the "falling forward" look so I had it supplied uninstalled. I used wedges to make it more vertical. I like the look better.Ron
Can you elaborate on the shims? Were the holes in frame pre-drilled? Does having it more vertical make it closer or farther away from the front of the trailer? Another photo showing that detail would be great.
Old 11-15-2020, 04:47 PM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
The factory storage box on our Escape works well as a storage box
Beyond that I have no opinion or comment.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 06:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Can you elaborate on the shims? Were the holes in frame pre-drilled? Does having it more vertical make it closer or farther away from the front of the trailer? Another photo showing that detail would be great.
The flanges were welded to the frame but the holes weren't drilled. 4 were probably enough but maybe 6 are better.

The shims are tapered hardwood wedges the length of the width of the box. The hold down bolts go through them. The black rubber is just a piece of EPM to prevent any chaffing and possibly rubbing though the paint, although it's pretty tightly bolted down.

Installing it more vertically had the benefit of making more space between the bottom of the box and the trailer wall. It made enough room that I could install my aluminum pole tube there. It also leaves a bit more room at the box front top and the propane cover.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0046_resize.JPG   IMGP0006_resize.JPG   PB150010_resize.JPG  
Old 11-15-2020, 06:42 PM   #13

Thanks; sounds like you made the wedges and probably coated them for the elements. A nice look; not sure I can do same easily with existing bolt holes when I R&R the box to change latches and re-coat with the Grizzly Grip.
Old 11-15-2020, 07:15 PM   #14

Yes, the wedges are well sealed. I drilled the holes in the flanges, put the wedges in position, set the box on top and drilled up through the wedges and the bottom of the box.

Speaking of Grizzly Grip, I had the box off today and noticed the contrast on the back between the sprayed area of GG and the gelcoat. Still looks like Almond to me.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0042_resize.JPG  
Old 11-16-2020, 12:50 AM   #15

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
I have recently placed a deposit on a 21C. I have decided to order with as few options as are necessary. Not because I would not like to have most of the upgrades but, more because I would like to install my own aftermarket items. One of the big question marks is the front storage box. I would really like to have a storage box up front but am considering a metal tongue box or truck chest instead of the fiberglass escape box. The escape box looks a bit flimsy to me and of course is 540.00. So my question is how much space is between the camper and the propane bottles? Has anyone done this with good results?
Thanks for any help!
Not flimsy at all . Ours is now almost 7 years . At first was on our build then removed , then back on . It helps protect the front of trailer too. Love the storage . You won’t be sorry . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 07:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Thanks For the replies!
Habberdabber - Your wooden box looks great!
Doug2000 - I guess the appearance is deceiving. Perhaps it is the forward looking design or the lack of gel coat on the box that makes me think flimsy? Great points on the USB and Solar prewire. Do you also consider the Zamp port a necessity?
The appearance is deceiving, the front of the box has a rough durable coating like bed liner. As for the Zamp port, when I camp without services, I use four 40 watt portable panels with a cheap charge controller wired right to the battery. We often camp under trees so rooftop is useless to us. My wife prefers services so our effort setting up solar is limited.
Old 11-16-2020, 09:40 AM   #17

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17B
Quote:
...but am considering a metal tongue box or truck chest instead of the fiberglass escape box.
My 17B had a truck bed style box that I changed out for the factory Escape fiberglass box. I made the change because my vinyl corner protectors were needing replacement and Escape was making it sound like they were not available to purchase for my year trailer. Second, I had always thought the fiberglass box looked better.

Truck storage box:
-Pros: The square shape made it easier to store items neatly. My leveling blocks are square and fit nicely. The "shelf" on each end was a very convenient spot to store a box of disposable gloves or anything else I used frequently like my portable drill to lower the leveling jacks (I miss this the most).
-Cons: Doesn't protect the front corners of the trailer from road debris kicked up by your tow vehicle. So you need the vinyl corner protectors which start looking like crap as they age. In my opinion the truck box doesn't look as nice as the fiberglass Escape box.

Escape Fiberglass Box:
-Pros: Looks nice. Protects front corners of trailer from road debris.
-Cons: The non-square corners everywhere make organizing things less neat and efficient. Anything square like my leveling blocks end up with gaps around the edges facing the box (wasted space).
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0406.jpg   IMG_0979.jpg  
flynfrfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:49 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynfrfun View Post
-Cons: The non-square corners everywhere make organizing things less neat and efficient. Anything square like my leveling blocks end up with gaps around the edges facing the box (wasted space).
But the ETI box has storage out to the edge and down to the bottom of the frame so I'm thinking that volume wise it's a bit of a wash.

I'm a bit of a take 2 of everything person and I have 2 different sets of leveling blocks and a whole bunch of other stuff and there's still a good amount of empty space.

I don't know if the "flimsy" comment stems from the 150# load restriction. The load limit is for tongue weight considerations not what the box is capable of supporting. You could put 500lbs. in box and it wouldn't cause any problem for the box. The floor of the box straddles the tongue frame.

Ron
Old 11-16-2020, 08:39 PM   #19

I guess the "flimsy" was more from the unfinished appearance and the forward lean. I envisioned thin 1/4 " fiberglass with little backing for support. Sounds like from the replies I was far from correct. I do understand the functionality of the box and feel it must do a great job at protecting the front of the trailer.
Thanks again for the replies!
Old 11-16-2020, 08:50 PM   #20

Hey Ryan - welcome; you haven't been properly initiated unless you've been corrected

Btw, the fiberglass on the trailers is sometimes less than 1/8" in places.