Stove recall - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2022, 03:46 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 19 (July 2018) pulled by F-150 (3.5 ecoboost)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCowboy View Post
Am I the only one waiting months for the Suburban stove recall replacement for our 2019 Escape 19?
Have you contacted an RV repair shop or mobile tech about doing the work? Have you contacted customer service at Surburban?

My replacement is delayed because the tech who initially agreed to do the replacement is no longer interested. (Too small a project, I guess.) I'm now looking for an alternative technician. I've not been in any particular hurry to get this done as my stove is not leaking and I check it for leaks before each use, especially if it is the first use after a tow. I'd rather put up with this bit of inconvenience and be able to use my trailer than have it sit at a repair shop waiting. The off season is coming and there will be plenty of time to get it done then.

Good luck resolving this.
Old 09-07-2022, 04:58 PM   #22

Trailer: E-19 2018
Stove recall installation tips

I, too, opted to replace my recalled stove with the Dometic for my 2018 E-19. I sighed heavily, and cut and flared the existing copper supply line to mate with the new stove, but only after I was unable to locate a flexible extension line, which would have greatly simplified the project. Thanks to those of you who found and shared sources for the rubber extensions. Too late for me, but great news for others. I’m chiming in mostly to advise NOT to buy flexible METAL hose to extend the propane supply: I tried that, and returned the hose to the store after reading that these are specifically NOT OK for RV’s, since travel vibration will eventually crack them and create leaks. There was a warning disclaimer label right on the hose.
For those opting to cut and flare the cut end of the existing copper tube to mate with the Dometic , I offer a few observations:
• Measure carefully; measure thrice, before cutting the existing copper tubing.
• Use a quality flaring tool. I first tried a Chinese make that cost a few more dollars, and looked like it was well made, but it failed miserably to grip the pipe securely. I returned it for an “Ace” Hardware Store branded one, which did not impress with looks, but performed like a champ, and it cost less. Made in Taiwan. Lesson learned.
• If you have never flared copper pipe, PRACTICE first on the piece of copper pipe you cut off. Reason? See above, for starters. You will only get one try under the cabinet.
• Buy a tiny Phillips head ratcheting wrench with a 90 degree bend to attach the Dometic igniter wires. Even then you will have to flex the heat shield tin out of your way to attach the two tiny screws.
• Tape the edge of the heat shield to avoid cutting yourself when working around it. I slashed my knuckle pretty severely when attaching the igniter screws.
• Not a fun project, but the Dometic two-burner looks and performs better than the recalled one.
Old 09-07-2022, 05:21 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasparScape View Post

• If you have never flared copper pipe, PRACTICE first on the piece of copper pipe you cut off. Reason? See above, for starters. You will only get one try under the cabinet.
Sorry to disagree but as contrary as it is to my nature as I'm always encouraging folks to try mods etc. themselves, I have to say that isn't the time to do your first flare.

I've been doing gas and hydraulic flares for a long time and while there're dead easy to do with practice with little experience it's possible to mess them up and do a poor one. Under the stove is no place to end up with a poor flare.

Lot's of folks have experience doing them. Far better to have a person with experience do a flare under those conditions.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 08:34 AM   #24

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Doug View Post
Sorry, I did not get the SDS2 replacement. I ordered and purchased the Dometic Stove top and needed the hose. I did it myself. They would not let me do the SDS replacement myself.
That's what I did. My perception is that the Dometic is a better stove. I like the cast iron grills. Forum member John K, informed me that I could send the SDS2 back to Suburban. Suburban then will issue me a check for $325.

I finally got through to someone at the factory via email. I attached images of the Escape data plate and of the SDS2 serial number. Right away they emailed me a FedEx shipping label. Now if I had known all of this before I threw away the box Escape shipped the Dometic in, I could have used it to send back the SDS2...
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 06:44 AM   #25

Trailer: 2018 21’ Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasparScape View Post
• Buy a tiny Phillips head ratcheting wrench with a 90 degree bend to attach the Dometic igniter wires. Even then you will have to flex the heat shield tin out of your way to attach the two tiny screws.
I removed the screws holding the heat shield and was then able to flex the shield out of the way enough to attach the igniter wires with a regular screw driver. Then put the screws back in the heat shield. Attaching the igniter wires was more of a pain than it should have been.
Cowboy Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 07:32 AM   #26

Trailer: 2020 E21C
My experience was that the least difficult way to connect the D21 ignition wires was to make a pigtail with easy to use male connectors on the open end. Then, on a bench with the cooktop upside down, connect the pigtail to the cooktop. Install female connectors on the battery wires side. Then it is just a matter of connecting the battery wires to the cooktop pigtail. If you make the pigtail long enough you can make that connection standing up over the counter with the cooktop tilted back. There is then no need to crawl around under the counter to make this connection.

John
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 08:47 PM   #27

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Great Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Sorry to disagree but as contrary as it is to my nature as I'm always encouraging folks to try mods etc. themselves, I have to say that isn't the time to do your first flare.

I've been doing gas and hydraulic flares for a long time and while there're dead easy to do with practice with little experience it's possible to mess them up and do a poor one. Under the stove is no place to end up with a poor flare.

Lot's of folks have experience doing them. Far better to have a person with experience do a flare under those conditions.

Ron
Great Advice, between vibration, cheaper copper tubing these days, and propane, one should not make this flare their first
WRGooding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 09:00 PM   #28

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
JohnK:
Could you provide some insight on the process you used to get the remittance from Suburban for the defective stove top? I to am having the Dometic stove top installed.
You can reply to goodingwm@gmail.com.

Thanks, I like your forum insights, very helpful.