Suggestions? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2014, 10:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Escape 17B (sold); Currently 2013 19
Suggestions?

We had to take our 2007 17B to Escape for some fiberglass repairs. While it is there, I asked Reace if he could do some minor mods including new led fixtures, sink taps, hot water switch to stay on when lit, and a few other cosmetic things. I'm wondering if any of you have any suggestions of any other things to request while it's there? Thanks.
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:12 PM   #2

It would be helpful to know what you have already in the unit ?

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:19 PM   #3

It's a basic 17B I think with outdoor shower. We bought it second hand so don't know what features were standard then, or what would be considered options. I forgot to mention that Reace is also converting the bi-fold screen door into the pullout one. I was wondering if anyone thought it would be worth getting the toilet shut off valve installed that I've seen mentioned on this forum.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
All I can suggest is that you look over the build lists here and see if there is anything you covet.
A screen room might or might not appeal to you, depending where and how you camp. I added one about five years ago and then only put it up once. If you were to get one, it needs snaps installed by ETI.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:27 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
I was thinking the screen door before reading it...you'll love it. Some people paint something on it with artist's paint so you don't run into it! I would have the window caulking checked and re-done if needed, along with any roof items like antennas. If they'll do the shut-off still(only offered now on 21 by ETI) for $25 I would do it for Murphy's Law sake.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:45 AM   #6

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
well, we live in Poco so often take it out for "new additions"

We got the front storage box one year, solar the next, have all the "new style" LED lights now too...We replaced our venetians with the new style blinds---ours are the lighter color (I have since made blackout curtains for the back bed area)

Hmm, to the new screen door idea!!!

We have a screen room that came with our used trailer and used it once--if you wanted it-- you could get the snaps on yours...

We also have the new larger bathroom sink....

I just keep reading the forum and coming up with ideas!!
Old 08-31-2014, 06:25 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrie View Post
We had to take our 2007 17B to Escape for some fiberglass repairs. While it is there, I asked Reace if he could do some minor mods including new led fixtures, sink taps, hot water switch to stay on when lit, and a few other cosmetic things. I'm wondering if any of you have any suggestions of any other things to request while it's there? Thanks.
In reference to the new LED fixtures, could someone please comment on whether there is some advantage to installing these versus retrofitting the "older" incandescent fixtures with LED bulbs.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
In reference to the new LED fixtures, could someone please comment on whether there is some advantage to installing these versus retrofitting the "older" incandescent fixtures with LED bulbs.
The LED's draw significantly less power from the battery and have longer life spans. Though you might want to see which you would prefer bright cool white or warm white. A mix seems to be the popular choice cool white in task areas and warm white in other areas.

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:12 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
It's my understanding that the fixtures are the same. The only difference is the type of bulb (LED or incandescent) used.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:32 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
It's my understanding that the fixtures are the same. The only difference is the type of bulb (LED or incandescent) used.
That is my understanding too. If I had fixtures with incandescent bulbs, I would just figure out which LEDs I needed and buy them online. or replace them as the incandescent bulbs burned out.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:43 AM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I replaced only the incandescent bulbs that were used frequently and for long periods with LED. I have cool white over the sink and warm white for reading.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:45 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Cost. When you retro-fit all you have to do is buy some bulbs. Easy enough to do yourself.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:26 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
The fixtures that I have tried which are designed for an LED array provide a better light pattern than outwardly interchangeable fixtures with bulb-replacement units in them.

If starting from scratch, I wouldn't use either type of traditionally shaped fixtures in under-cabinet locations; instead I would use LED strips (which have been discussed in this forum before).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:35 PM   #14

I checked out new light fixtures while at the factory and chose to go that route because 1. they have a cleaner look-not so deep, more flush, and a larger clear area for light to show through and 2. it was only $25 per fixture and that included the new bulb. Also the new bulbs that fit in them are a thin plate with multiple small leds that are brighter and scatter light better. Thank you for the advice on the rivets for the screen room, and will definitely ask Reace if they can put in the shut off valve.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:41 PM   #15

I know amirie, one could go crazy with all great ideas that come up here with all of these creative people! Thank you for the offer re:screen room, but I think we probably wouldn't use it very often either Great idea for re-checking window caulking Rossue, I will ask Reace to do that.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:25 PM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Of all the suggestions you receive, I think the one you need to pay attention to the most... is what your thoughts tell you about what YOU need. Remember your past, surely. But, it's not about where you've been, but where you want to go in the future.

I've been an all molded towable owner for 12 years. In all that time, I've always been hooked up. I know that's not going to appreciably change for the next several years, but when I retire... ALL BETS ARE OFF. That's why I went with all things that had to do with "wiring" during my build. All that stuff typically runs under the vinyl (yes I know folks 'fish,") but, I didn't want to deal with any of that stuff. As usual... YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:13 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Donna, great advice!
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:27 PM   #18

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrie View Post
It's a basic 17B I think with outdoor shower. We bought it second hand so don't know what features were standard then, or what would be considered options. I forgot to mention that Reace is also converting the bi-fold screen door into the pullout one. I was wondering if anyone thought it would be worth getting the toilet shut off valve installed that I've seen mentioned on this forum.
Whether you have Reace do it or do it yourself, a toilet shut-off valve is highly recommended! It can be a real lifesaver if something goes awry with your toilet valve or plumbing. We put ours in ourselves - it's not difficult. We had a toilet valve spring a leak and having the shut-off valve allowed us to continue to use the trailer with water and flush using water from a jug. We had the luxury of doing the repair when it was more convenient. There is no downside to this easy, low cost mod.
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:52 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
Whether you have Reace do it or do it yourself, a toilet shut-off valve is highly recommended! It can be a real lifesaver if something goes awry with your toilet valve or plumbing. We put ours in ourselves - it's not difficult. We had a toilet valve spring a leak and having the shut-off valve allowed us to continue to use the trailer with water and flush using water from a jug. We had the luxury of doing the repair when it was more convenient. There is no downside to this easy, low cost mod.
So very true!
Attached Images

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote