Table pedestal -- is it worth it? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-01-2016, 04:31 PM   #41

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Sure isn't a hole in my fiberglass shell for a table mount.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 05:13 PM   #42

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The following image, first posted in FiberglassRV in the topic Escape Trailer, shows the recessed front dinette leg socket protruding down through a hole in the fiberglass shell. This was long ago when there was only one size (17') of Escape - this is a 2006 17B, in factory-stock condition, displayed in a dealer's showroom when Escapes were sold by dealers.

I didn't get a clear photo of the corresponding floor area under the rear dinette.

Design details change with time, and vary between models.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 05:21 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
On the 19 at least, no worries about drilling through that area, there's nothing at all to hit.

Ron
In the standard 19' layout, the dinette is in the front. As Ron said, there's nothing there to hit, and I think that's true of the middle of this front area in any model other than the 5.0/5.0TA. All underfloor tanks are further back.

In all other models, there is a rear dinette; in the 17' at least, the freshwater tank is under it, up against the floor.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:26 PM   #44
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Having a hole like that through the bottom of the shell, behind the axle, wouldn't bother me. I like the recessed pole holders. But then again, I don't even have a table so what do I know...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 05:31 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Having a hole like that through the bottom of the shell, behind the axle, wouldn't bother me. I like the recessed pole holders. But then again, I don't even have a table so what do I know...
It seems manageable to me - although not ideal - but I'll note that both the 2006 17B which I posted and Jubal's 19' have that recessed socket ahead of the axle.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:08 PM   #46

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
The recessed pedestal bases were standard OE and not an option. Another questionable installation.
What exactly was wrong with how they were installed?

This would be the first of this type I have heard of Escape installing. I quite like the idea, so if you take out the pedestals, you are nearly flush with the sockets. Nice....
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:10 PM   #47

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
With the foam option, you would never know that bump existed. I like that flush mount better than the camel humps. I think if that install was continued, a lot less people may opt to go with the expense of a expensive pump pedestal. I wonder why that was discontinued?
Old 01-01-2016, 07:12 PM   #48

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
What exactly was wrong with how they were installed?
I guess they were installed up-side-down.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:09 PM   #49

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Although I am not a fan of the RV-standard table post mount I think that in an Escape the bumps are better then the flush mounts. I suspect the early Escapes were (at least partly) based on the Casita/Scamp, and to me the bump mounts are an example of the ETI tradition of improving their product when they can, not waiting for a model year.

1) One less shell hole is one less chance to leak. And in my Casita the twisting/shoving to get the table more stable broke the mount.
2) It limits what you can put under the floor - like fresh or gray tanks.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:33 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
Although I am not a fan of the RV-standard table post mount I think that in an Escape the bumps are better then the flush mounts. I suspect the early Escapes were (at least partly) based on the Casita/Scamp...
Although the Escape body and frame design are based on the Surfside TM14, which in turn was a variant of the Trillium 4500, it would make sense that some specific details would be inspired by other trailers with some construction similarities. All of these trailers traditionally used a fold-down table design (not the post-in-socket system), but if Casita (or less likely, Scamp) had these sockets long enough ago that might have been the inspiration.

Where there is nothing under the floor (17' and 19' front dinettes), I would prefer the flush mount with a bump moulded into the shell to accommodate it... with an option to leave the floor intact for a user-provided pedestal.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:15 AM   #51
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Very surprised that a 2013 would have the recessed mounts without asking for them, since I've seen several 2013s that have the surface mounted ones like we had. Hmmm.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:41 AM   #52

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Very surprised that a 2013 would have the recessed mounts without asking for them, since I've seen several 2013s that have the surface mounted ones like we had. Hmmm.
We did not request the recessed pedestal mounts. Did not even know they were an option. Will never know why they were installed. Surely, cutting the holes in the floor and shell for the recessed mounts is more labor intensive. Would have opted not to have holes in the bottom of the fiberglass shell. The rear mount is covered by the foam insulation and the front mount is sealed by at least a half tube of caulk. Removing them for a single pedestal does not seem a good option. Will probably try to center the single pedestal between them. I need to find more information defining the single pedestal base diameter and the distance from the front wall to the pedestal base using the OE table. Raising the floor is not a alternative for us. Reading the pneumatic pedestal threads certainly defines their appeal over the OE pedestals, especially if the table is frequently converted to a sleeping area.
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:10 PM   #53

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
I really like the idea of recessed table mounts too. We are getting a 19 next July with a raised dinette. I wonder if Escape would use the flush mounts since I don't believe they would have to cut a hole in the floor. They may have to make sure to offset the support that probably goes down the middle of the raises dinette. We are getting the standard table and I was thinking we could get a couple of extra cushions made and put a board across the supports to make a lounge area like a U-shaped dinette and maybe even have a round table made to put on the rearward table support when the lounge setup is utilized. I don't want to give up the larger table setup though. I think it would be really cool to have several options.
Cody
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:23 PM   #54

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
I was thinking we could get a couple of extra cushions made and put a board across the supports to make a lounge area like a U-shaped dinette and maybe even have a round table made to put on the rearward table support when the lounge setup is utilized. I don't want to give up the larger table setup though. I think it would be really cool to have several options.
Cody
That could be a workable "don't burn any bridges" solution. Nice to keep your options open.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:32 PM   #55

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Great thread and information, just a couple of questions. (I apologize if these were addressed earlier).

Do you lower the table to the bed position for travel? We have some frost heave sections with some big “Whoop de doo’s” that can sneak up on you when they are not marked by the highway department. I’m surprised that we haven’t lost our double pedestal table on a couple of trips.

Is there anything that I can destroy if I go too deep with my screws/anchors on the 5.0 TA? Thanks, Scott

Scott, Lori and dog.
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 03:14 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKsnowbiker View Post
Is there anything that I can destroy if I go too deep with my screws/anchors on the 5.0 TA?
The 5.0TA (and 5.0) dinette is in the rear, in the raised frame section. The original 5.0 had a raised floor (like the 17' on which it was based); however, I assume that the 5.0TA has a flat floor (recessed between the raised part of the frame rails), like the 21' on which it was based. Even without the floor stepped up, I think the freshwater tank is still under that section of floor, so that's what I would look for. The flat fiberglass floor which is visible underneath from the outside is directly against the plywood, so there is nothing but the thickness of plywood (and vinyl flooring) between the inside and breaking through to the outside... or into the top of a freshwater tank if that's where you're driving a screw.

I would measure from a convenient reference point (such as the rear edge of the main door opening) on the inside, then the same distance on the outside, to see what is underneath and lines up with the pedestal base location.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:18 PM   #57

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The single pedestal base is a bit thicker then the original bases, I just added the difference to the length of the original screws when I bought new screws.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:24 PM   #58

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Thanks Brian, Bob. I plan on ordering the Dicor with the four way slider. Probably safer to travel with it in the low position. Thanks again everyone, Scott

Scott, Lori and a Schnauzer named Fritz
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:36 PM   #59

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Does anyone know the dimensions of the four way slider, i.e. the minimum size tabletop?
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:45 PM   #60

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
Does anyone know the dimensions of the four way slider, i.e. the minimum size tabletop?
According to Jeff at Dicor, it is 22"x26".

The table in the 5.0, and I assume 21 too, is 34.5"W(back) / 35.5"W(front) x 28/75" front to back. This is with the U-shaped dinette.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote