Table Redo - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2018, 12:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 Foot
Table Redo

After doing several searches on this forum and getting good suggestions, I still have a couple of questions before I present this idea to my spouse who is ready to make a change.

Let me say we have a 2017 21. We decided to get the standard dinette configuration and had the Springfield Installed at Orientation.

Issues so far:
Not easy to get in and out, not super difficult, just feels tight and is a little annoying if you're up and down a lot.

Table wobbles. After a few mods under table for stability, still leans toward the rear of trailer when spouse leans forward with elbows resting on table.

Solutions to consider:

Make the table smaller and cut it 30 inches which would leave room for easy entry for dining, and a lounge area toward rear when lowered for a smaller sleep area. I definitely like this option. I realize we would need a filler board to make into a full bed which shouldn't be an issue.

Is it easiest to just cut the existing table already measured and surfaced or save the table, and build 2 new tables? Realize if cutting existing table we'd have to finish the edges.

If using the existing table, should the 45 degree cut corner be part of the 30 inch table top or the filler?

To achieve this as a base and to use the Springfield, I'm pretty sure we'd have to recenter it to the new 30 inch table and move it closer to the back wall leaving holes to be repaired.

Option 2 is to buy a Snap 2 free standing folding base table (Cost with shipping $125) and remove the Springfield Pedestal and hopefully sell it.

If I used the Snap 2, I could easily use the filler as a bench and create a u shape dinette.

Hope I'm going the right direction, any thoughts would be most appreciated.
Zengranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 01:58 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I have 3 table tops, so far. I kept the original as is, made a rectangle with rounded corners at 24". After finding the 24" sufficient I made one with slightly curved front and back to make it even easier to get in and out.

I ordered extra track from ETI, comes by the foot, something like $150 a foot, so I ouldn't have to move it between tops.

Tried drawer slides, supposedly good quality ones. They flex to much for me when extended. Tried both horizontal and vertical. One wobbled side to side, the other up and down. Went back to the plastic ETI uses.

I have the U dinette with the Springfield. I get some slope side to side with it. Tightening the collars helps some but shimming the top works the best. Funny, sometimes I see it sloped, sometimes not.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:19 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape
Zengranny,
I cut the table on my 15 to provide a 30" bunk along the back wall and a 24" table. Very happy with the results. 30 inches makes for an adequate bunk and the table is good for 1 or 2. Table take down and set up is so easy I don't even think of it as a task, unlike doing the whole table with the two legs.

Cutting the existing table was easy. I rounded the new corners and installed the t-molding trim that I got from ETI. The shape of the table is such that the angled part had to remain as the table. When both parts are set up as a table, each on it's own post, the stability is fine. The half table on its post is also stable.

To make the options work I also cut the long seat back cushions in two because they become the filler pieces for the half bed "mattress". This turned out to be an added benefit because shorter cushions are much easier to handle when accessing the under seat storage.

The dimensions for your project will be different but the concept should be the same.

The only caution to mention is that when the angled piece is in the down position it tips forward if you sit on the leading edge. I added a sliding bolt on the underside to solve that. A temporary leg to support the front edge would also work.

Finally, I also cut the curb side long seat cushion and the underseat storage lid in two to provide easy access to storage. Very pleased.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:24 PM   #4

What I think I understand is that you already have a u shape which I do not, so the 24 inch table with the Springfield is what you have built for your u shape dinette.

I'm not quite understanding what the extra track is and why or where you would use it. Also the drawer slide.

I do not have the U shape dinette so I have to fill that space in with a filler and or table top.

Thanks for your reply. Perhaps it would be wise to store the original table as you have done too.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:53 PM   #5

So you kept your angled corners on the 30" bunk/ that you can also raise for a table. And the 24" table is the square without the angles? May have that backwards.

The total length of my current table is 45 1/2 inches. With a 30 inch table I only can allow my second table to be 15 inches, which I will rarely use as a table but will use for making into a full bed or possibly a bench seat, as in a u shape dinette. I that case I would use the Snap 2 Folding table that does not need to be attached to the floor. I have the flip up tables when I'd I put the 30 inch table down for a bunk. I could see that if your smaller table could rotate for an easy in and out it would be a great table, Do you have a picture?
Also very clever to cut those back pillows in half.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:21 PM   #6

Trailer: none
Here's what we did in our 5.0 Classic:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ette-4323.html
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:44 PM   #7

What a terrific idea! I'd have to consider the difficulty of making into a bed however for grand boys and my mom. Will run this by hubby! Thanks
Old 07-31-2018, 09:25 AM   #8

Finally realized what drawer slides and used for. The Springfield!
Old 07-31-2018, 04:38 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zengranny View Post
So you kept your angled corners on the 30" bunk/ that you can also raise for a table. And the 24" table is the square without the angles? May have that backwards.

The total length of my current table is 45 1/2 inches. With a 30 inch table I only can allow my second table to be 15 inches, which I will rarely use as a table but will use for making into a full bed or possibly a bench seat, as in a u shape dinette. I that case I would use the Snap 2 Folding table that does not need to be attached to the floor. I have the flip up tables when I'd I put the 30 inch table down for a bunk. I could see that if your smaller table could rotate for an easy in and out it would be a great table, Do you have a picture?
Also very clever to cut those back pillows in half.
The angled piece is the table, and the rectangular piece is the bed. On my trailer the long sides of the table are not parallel so I can't flip the pieces around. Also on my trailer there is a permanent 9 inch ledge on the back wall so I only had to cut 21 inches off the table to make the total 30 inch bed. The remaining 24 inches became the table. It worked out just right.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:38 PM   #10

Got it! Thank you so much. If you ever get a chance would love to see a picture. When our project is done I'll post one too!