Tail lights - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2014, 07:16 PM   #1

Trailer: 2007 17
Tail lights

I have a 2007 17B. I really like the looks of the bright LED tail lights. I am sure someone has done this mod. Any input on lights to chose and potential snags would be appreciated. We hang our bikes on the back, if that is a consideration. Thanks.
Groma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
We added the additional vertical tail light option on our 19. To me it is a necessity if you are using the bike rack but I think it is a good idea anyway. More lights in the rear means more safety. I think someone on the forum added them later themselves.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
If you are carrying bikes, etc on the back of the trailer where they can obscure your tail lights I can see adding extra lights above would enhance your trailer's visibility. Otherwise, I think the factory installed rear lighting is ideal. They also look better aesthetically as design.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:37 PM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Any suggestions on which type, model, or where to purchase something similar to the ones that ETI is now using?
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:22 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I think it may be Chuck who was the first to add the vertical tail lights, after the build. Search for posts by Hippo (first login) and/or ChuckS. (second login). Or maybe send him a PM (ChuckS).

Hopefully someone with the vertical lights can provide brand info, including the numbers on the lens. Perhaps they're Bargman and should be availble lots of places. OR, contact ETI and check if you can purchase and they'll ship.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:22 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Hello all 17 Bs

We had Reace install LEDs above the rear window this January.
We really like them and it is all about safety, looks good.
I have seen those on EBay in the States but like to support Reace and Tammy with all the updates, plus i am not that good at wiring.It does help to live less then 90 minutes away from the plant.
Tammy will always find the time to squeeze us in despite their very busy schedule.
Go for it.
Allan.
Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:45 AM   #7

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho
I added a LED light bar above the rear window of my 2006 17B because I also carry bikes. I put it above the window so I could run all the wires inside the cabinets and not deal with the wall insulation.

I added a back up light and the capability to turn on the backup light and running lights from inside the trailer so I can use them as exterior lights when camping. Goofy but I like it...

The backup lights are more to show intent than to backup in the dark. They make a pretty good exterior light when things go bump in the night.

The only hard part was running the wires from the upper rear cabinet to the front left lower cabinet, under the front dinette; that is where the main wiring harness junction box is located. Two people can do this fairly easily.

This link discuses the installation.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...-bar-1011.html

I think an upper light bar of any orientation is a good thing, even if not carrying bikes. I would have one or two installed if they were an option back then.

Every year the Escapes get better!
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:09 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
To light or not to light- that is not the question for yes, it is better to keep on a light(s) than to tow forward into the darkness.

As the rising smoke of the campfire dissipates naturally upward in the air so for me, the issue is one of balance or imbalance, a top-heavy look and orientation defiling the laws of optical gravity versus a more gentile digression toward the heavens chosen by Escape Industries.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:32 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
To light or not to light- that is not the question for yes, it is better to keep on a light(s) than to tow forward into the darkness.

As the rising smoke of the campfire dissipates naturally upward in the air so for me, the issue is one of balance or imbalance, a top-heavy look and orientation defiling the laws of optical gravity versus a more gentile digression toward the heavens chosen by Escape Industries.
Myron, I like how you put your thoughts into words. I may not always understand them, but they are always interesting.

John
Old 05-07-2014, 10:13 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25
We have the extra verticle LED strips on either side of the window. Factory installed. Thanks Rick. Very visible from behind.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:05 AM   #11

Trailer: No more Escape 21
Dan, credit has to go to Chuck S. Chuck requested and was the first to have the 19 with the added lights (later, the lights would become an option).

Coming back from a NOG, Chuck was about 3/4 of a mile ahead of me. I could really see those added lights. And carrying bikes on the back of the Escape, it was a no brainier. I made a bee line to EFI to have a pair installed. Very well worth it!
Old 05-08-2014, 08:37 PM   #12

Trailer: 2001 Bigfoot 21RB/ 73Boler/Trillium 5500
I was the first Escape owner to order a 19 with tail lights on each side of the rear window. And to this day I have never seen a royalty for my idea. I see they are an option from the factory now.
Chuck
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote