"Texas"fan option for refrigerator - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #41
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I've been looking over at the CasitaForum for a picture I know is hiding there somewhere. It's a refrigerator vent awning built out of sunscreen material (like Susan's Shades) a framework of PVC and two clips holding it to the belly band. That wouldn't work on the Escape, no belly band like the Casita, so I was thinking maybe good suction cups/hooks.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:16 PM   #42
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKzookeeper View Post
I have also seen many recommendations for installing an inside the refrigerator fan to circulate the air inside to optimize the fridge.
I use a cheaper version of this, two D cell batteries last weeks. The difference between this one and mine is I have to pull the batteries to shut it off But it cost me about 1/2 the price. They're available lots of places and I think work just as designed.

FridgeCool Fan with On/Off Switch - Valterra A10-2606 - Refrigerator Accessories - Camping World
Old 11-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #43

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'm having a hard time grasping the value of shading the fridge. I can picture parking under a tree, next to a stream, but just using a small awning on one side of the fridge wouldn't accomplish much, me thinks.
Maybe it would help a bit if the trailer was black and absorbed a lot of solar. I'd think that the main issue would be ambient temperature, and the awning can't prevent the surrounding hot air from "cooling" the fridge fins.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #44

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Is this a Fiberglass trailer thing? I've never heard of a Texas Fan before, other then the Longhorn or Cowboys versions.
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:07 PM   #45

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I can't imagine how the factory awning would block the fridge vent on my 17 or get hot enough to be an issue.
Glenn,
I said non factory installed items, I'm sure Escape would have considered that issue. The issue of shade is having the intake area in shade to create a cooler intake of air while using heat to cool your food.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:23 PM   #46

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The inside fan is a battery operated one you set inside on the bottom to move the cooler air that settles on the bottom to make the refrigerator cooler on top. Your home refer has a fan that runs inside to prevent frost, same idea. The exterior fan in the rear is to move any trapped hot air so that the refer can cool down better and quicker, particularly in the summer. Here is the interior one Amazon.com: Camco 44123 RV Fridge Airator: Automotive
Old 11-29-2013, 07:31 PM   #47

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Occurs to me that using an awning over the fridge vent would likely create a pocket of still air that might end up hotter than surrounding air. And, it's the exchange of heat from the fridge to the surrounding air that matters.
I think I'm done thinking now.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:54 PM   #48

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
There have been many discussions about Dometic's ability to cool your food when the ambient temperature exceeds 80 degrees. Some of it's models may do a better job than others. If you are camping in regions of the country that cool down at night you will likely not have a problem. If you travel to southern regions where you experience high temperatures and humidity, the ambient temperature could be 90 degrees at 10 PM. Then you
probably need to consider getting the Texas fan. It has a thermostat and a on/off switch when the fan is not needed. If you search in the archives you will find some good information on this discussion.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #49

Trailer: Escape
Gas/Electric Fridge Venting
Old 11-29-2013, 08:25 PM   #50

Trailer: 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertg View Post
This is the note that Kim sent me:
The Texas Fridge includes an additional fan built into the larger 6.7 fridge to increase air movement for those customers who reside in above average temperatures. Please note the 4.3cuft fridge has fans built into it.

Now that I have this information, I can pass it on to our customers.
Tammy added this note to my build sheet with a 6.7 cf fridge:

``Texas Style Fridge with Upper and Lower Fridge Fans``

Sounds like 2 fans. Curious.....
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:02 PM   #51

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
I think I asked this once before, but since I'm needing to make a decision pretty quickly about the frig I'm raising it again -- Does anyone know if there are fewer difficulties with the 4.3 frig when the trailer is in hot humid areas? I've been playing around with the idea of getting the smaller frig for the 19 -- and if the smaller frig is more effective, that would be something to think about.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:24 PM   #52

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I see now Brian, we're talking two different things. I wasn't thinking of an awning on the roof refrigerator vent, but the one on the side of the trailer.
Maybe three different things, if you include an awning on the vent
I'm talking about this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki A. View Post
I was thinking shade for the fridge side of the trailer. Something to help keep the sun and heat off of that area.
The awning would shade the side of the trailer in the refrigerator area, including the lower vent, but not the upper vent in the case of the roof-vented 21'. Something has to hold up the top of the awning, and it occurred to me that the awning top rail could hook onto the edge of the roof vent opening without blocking it... or maybe not - just a thought.

For the other models with street-side refrigerators, I think Jim's concern about an awning covering and mounted close to the upper wall vent interfering with air circulation is valid.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:29 PM   #53

Trailer: 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
I think I asked this once before, but since I'm needing to make a decision pretty quickly about the frig I'm raising it again -- Does anyone know if there are fewer difficulties with the 4.3 frig when the trailer is in hot humid areas? I've been playing around with the idea of getting the smaller frig for the 19 -- and if the smaller frig is more effective, that would be something to think about.
Hi Ruthe, I`ve no trailer experience myself. But it`s getting late and I`m not sure how many posts you`ll get tonight, so I`ll take a stab. In the first few posts from a previous thread, 19`owners cite hot weather cooling problems with the 4.3, 5.0, and 6.7 cf fridges. Couldn`t successfully add link here, but thread is called `Fridge Cooling Questions``.

I`m pretty sure I remember reading another past thread as well, where cooling problems were experienced by owners of various sized fridges.

So, I`ve got no direct experience, and I don`t know the proportion of complaints by fridge size, but the smaller fridges also seem to cause problems for some.....tough call, good luck! j
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:44 PM   #54

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
Does anyone know if there are fewer difficulties with the 4.3 frig when the trailer is in hot humid areas? I've been playing around with the idea of getting the smaller frig for the 19 -- and if the smaller frig is more effective, that would be something to think about.
We have the 4.3 fridge in our 19 and have had zero problems with it. We have been in hot & humid, hot & dry, and definitely cold and damp. It has performed flawlessly in all situations and was more than enough storage space (including freezer) for the two of us. This also takes into account all the "special needs" foods I bring from home :

We have been really happy with our choice
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:47 PM   #55

Terry is pretty adamant that we get the larger frig and I think he is probably right -- at the beginning I was the one who insisted we needed the larger frig -- Jamie that helps to be reminded that all the refrigerators had problems, although after reading Glenn and Rosemary's post I was ready to get the smaller one. I'm thinking that we should get the fan for the big one and talk to Reace about installation.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #56

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: Ruthe... Just MHO but I'd put my money on a larger fridge, less densely packed with food, to cool better. Remember it's not really cooling but extracting heat from the contents. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:58 PM   #57
Site Team

Ruthe, I'm getting the larger refrigerator. I have a 4.5 cubic 3-way in my Scamp. I can typically go about 5 days before I need to grocery shop. AND, I know the difference between what needs to be refrigerated and what only needs to be kept cool. (Refrigerate dairy and meats... just as what's refrigerated at the store). I plan on turning one of the cupboards into a "fruit and vegetable bin." By putting a plastic tote of some sort in the cupboard and freezing "blue ice" to pack in the tote. Most often folks stuff refrigerators when camping when they don't need to. Freezers work best when stuffed, refrigerators work best when packed loosly.

In the end, my decision about whether to get extra refrigerator fans is based on economics. Its sounds cheaper to get it done during the build than after! And, I certainly don't know where I'll be camping and in what temperatures 3-5 years from now. YMMV
Old 11-30-2013, 04:42 PM   #58

Thank you Donna and Alf. That makes so much sense to not crowd the frig -- because with the smaller one I know I'd just be stuffing in the food. The other thing is that I've been a little sorry to lose those two cabinets above the smaller frig, but something's lost and something's gained so to speak.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #59

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
The larger fridge is definitely nice to have. We use ours for perishable food for up to 4 people for 4-5 days before restocking. Also, the larger fridge will accommodate more beer and wine than the smaller fridges.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #60

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
We have the 4.3 and although we missed the heat of summer this year we spent a week in Florida in 80 degree weather with no problems. We even had to turn it down to #3 setting a few times because it was starting to get down in the upper 20's and freeze food in the fridge section. It also has a fan installed on it that appears to be a Dometic installed item and be part of the fridge. I have have not seen or heard it run yet.