That queen size bed? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2018, 12:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Rpod 182G
That queen size bed?

How big a deal is it to change out to two twin size beds?

I didn't notice a frame to the bed when I toured one today. We like the idea of the crawl space being between the two. Besides could lead to a night stand between..
olddawgsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:02 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by olddawgsrule View Post
How big a deal is it to change out to two twin size beds?

I didn't notice a frame to the bed when I toured one today. We like the idea of the crawl space being between the two. Besides could lead to a night stand between..
If you are talking the 5.0TA, I know Donna put a single twin in hers, she may be able to tell you if there is room for a 2nd. There is no bed frame, mattress sits on the lofts floor.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:05 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Two twins would need 72", since they're 36" each. And that's with no space between.

A queen is 60" total. You're already short a full 12" to change to two twins, unless you're willing to go a lot more narrow and call it a 'twin.'
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:10 PM   #4

Trailer: none
What is underneath the mattress in the 5.0? Carpet?
Old 07-26-2018, 01:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Two twins would need 72", since they're 36" each. And that's with no space between.

A queen is 60" total. You're already short a full 12" to change to two twins, unless you're willing to go a lot more narrow and call it a 'twin.'
Guess that's what I mean.. Currently running with two 30" beds and thought those were twins.. my bad..

Good to hear there's no frame and it can work. Asked Escape for an option for this. Guess I have to clarify with them now. Thank you for correcting me so I can ask properly.

It looked like 10" of space off the sides of the queen.. How close am I on that?
Old 07-26-2018, 01:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
If you are talking the 5.0TA, I know Donna put a single twin in hers, she may be able to tell you if there is room for a 2nd. There is no bed frame, mattress sits on the lofts floor.
Thank you! That's what I was hoping!
Old 07-26-2018, 01:29 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Another thing with going for twin beds in the loft of the 5.0TA is that you would need to have the corner caddy cabinet eliminated in order to fit the mattress in. It is pretty much useless though, we don't use ours. Either that or cut the mattress around to fit.

Regardless, you have to scootch up into the queen bad or scootch up and go to either side to get into a twin. I see no advantage to splitting the bed. Lots of great storage among the side as it is. That is where my guitar case goes.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:30 PM   #8
Site Team

Anything is possible if you're willing to go small enough. The loft fits a queen size bed. 60" in width... BUT, it may be possible to gain a bit more space IF you're willing to have a shorter mattress. The cubies in the front corners of the loft take up some space and may be 'structural.' There may even be wiring behind the cubie cabinetry. So,you'd need to have a mattress that 'notches' the cubies (which makes part of it shorter) but could gain some width by going all the way to the outside wall.

I use the cubies all the time. I wear reading glasses and read in bed before sleep. The cubies are a great place for me to put my glasses and book when I go to sleep. I no longer break my glasses!

Yes, I have one twin bed in the loft. I'm also a solo traveler and it's glorious for the amount of open space I have in the loft. Sure makes the bed easy to make. And I'm not crawling all over the bed to get out of the loft.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Anything is possible if you're willing to go small enough. The loft fits a queen size bed. 60" in width... BUT, it may be possible to gain a bit more space IF you're willing to have a shorter mattress. The cubies in the front corners of the loft take up some space and may be 'structural.' There may even be wiring behind the cubie cabinetry. So,you'd need to have a mattress that 'notches' the cubies (which makes part of it shorter) but could gain some width by going all the way to the outside wall.

I use the cubies all the time. I wear reading glasses and read in bed before sleep. The cubies are a great place for me to put my glasses and book when I go to sleep. I no longer break my glasses!

Yes, I have one twin bed in the loft. I'm also a solo traveler and it's glorious for the amount of open space I have in the loft. Sure makes the bed easy to make. And I'm not crawling all over the bed to get out of the loft.
We're on two 30" beds now and like it. Plenty of room. What is the actual size of the loft side to side? I'm thinking there was a 8-10" space on the side ....of the queen.. My mind says 8ft.. That would be a 16" space between. I saw no 'cubbies' that ran to the floor, just overhead cabinets.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:08 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
My mind says 8ft.. That would be a 16" space between. I saw no 'cubbies' that ran to the floor, just overhead cabinets.
The exterior width of the 5.0TA is 7'4" as it's widest point. The loft narrows by a foot at the nose.

The cubies run from the bottom of the loft cupboards to the floor of the loft. This is the best pic I could quickly find, it's from the ETI brochure. There is a cubbie on each side of the loft.
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture1.jpg   3. 2017 TA Front.PNG  
Old 07-26-2018, 02:35 PM   #11

I'd ask ETI if you can delete the cubbies. 8-10" on either side of the queen is a good guesstimate.

Yes, the bed sits in the same carpet as the stairs are covered with, no underneath condensation. there is a layer of plywood and insulation under that. Unless things have changed.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:45 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I'd ask ETI if you can delete the cubbies. 8-10" on either side of the queen is a good guesstimate.
Yep. That would be best. Always check with ETI to receive confirmation about a 'build' change.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:01 PM   #13

Quote:
The exterior width of the 5.0TA is 7'4" as it's widest point. The loft narrows by a foot at the nose.

The cubies run from the bottom of the loft cupboards to the floor of the loft. This is the best pic I could quickly find, it's from the ETI brochure. There is a cubbie on each side of the loft.
Thank you for that! I didn't notice those.. Maybe the 2015 model I looked at doesn't have or I'm just a blind old coot... LOL

Either way, gives me an idea of space and that I thank you for.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:04 AM   #14

Had a great conversation with ETI and they are quoting me a build.

Those cubbies are an extra feature, so no issue not having. Funny how she rally didn't know the actual interior width of the loft.. She'll get back to me on that.

Thank you all for your assistance!
Old 07-28-2018, 06:25 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Had a great conversation with ETI and they are quoting me a build.

Those cubbies are an extra feature, so no issue not having. Funny how she rally didn't know the actual interior width of the loft.. She'll get back to me on that.

Thank you all for your assistance!
The cubby holes are a standard feature on every 5.0TA I have seen. I assume that what they are saying is no problem negating them? They probably would do a corner piece of liner like they do in the rear.

Our problem with using them at all is that they are so far forward. If they had of aimed them rearwards instead of towards the bed they would be more useful, at least for us. No issue though, as in time I plan to rebuild those entire corners to include a nightstand along the side for a bit. Gotta keep room for the guitar as there is really nowhere else to put it out of the way.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
The cubby holes are a standard feature on every 5.0TA I have seen. I assume that what they are saying is no problem negating them? They probably would do a corner piece of liner like they do in the rear.

Our problem with using them at all is that they are so far forward. If they had of aimed them rearwards instead of towards the bed they would be more useful, at least for us. No issue though, as in time I plan to rebuild those entire corners to include a nightstand along the side for a bit. Gotta keep room for the guitar as there is really nowhere else to put it out of the way.
They have a 'twin bed' option now that eliminates (or seems to require none). The beds are 36" wide. That leads to at least 72" across the loft. being we're only 30" wide now and like the beds we made up, should give us the 12" between for the 'crawl-out' I'm after. I see me building a night stand up at the head for us!

Oh, the harmonica is easy to store.. LOL
Old 12-19-2018, 09:04 PM   #17

Trailer: No RV
How much head room is there,I am 6’3” can I sit up without hitting myhead
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:16 PM   #18

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Here are a couple of pics that show the corner cubbies pretty well. We took them in the floor model when we visited ETI in September.
Attached Thumbnails
P9244416.jpg   P9244419.jpg  
Old 12-20-2018, 05:30 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
How much head room is there,I am 6’3” can I sit up without hitting myhead
I'm 6'2", sitting up is no problem. I do find my head is darn close to the front wall though, must be that angle again. Due to it, taller folks lose a few inches of the bed. If I lay on my stomach my toes dangle off the foot of the bed. It works okay, but it's not like sleeping on a queen bed at home and a lot better then the RV size "queen" most rv's use.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:20 AM   #20

Trailer: No RV
Thanks, Escape may not work for me, and how I wish it would. Possibly the the 19 will but I cant stand in the bathroom. My wife and I would be traveling and living in the trailer for months each winter and the bed and bathroom are the most important/ needed aspects. Love the fiberglass but can’t afford an Oliver Ellite II, I’m very experienced in fiberglass lobster boats, it’s the best.
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote