The KIB M1086 Tank monitor came in today - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-28-2017, 04:33 PM   #1

Trailer: None now
The KIB M1086 Tank monitor came in today

It arrived today, I pulled the old one loose a few days back to see how I was going to run the 12 volts for the water heater relay, I will keep the old one for spare parts. From what I see the black outside panel is the only part that is different. The circuit board and switches are the same on both.
Also several wires did not match.. The grey wire that went to the LP water heater on the old one went to the electric water heater and a new red wire was the LP wire. And the black and grey tanks were swapped. I used a 47K resister and shunted from ground to one of the probes at each tank and identified them. Fresh water was fine but the other two were swapped. All I need to do now is get the relay that’s been on back order sometime in the next week or so and mine is done.
They also sent me 3 of the resister sets that are attached to the probes. I’ll save them in case I ever need them.

From the wiring diagram the gray goes to the 120V water heater on the new panel. I suspect my original wiring was the issue as far as tank swap as the colors used for the KIB wiring would make sense #18 grey wire being for grey water instead of black.

If anyone does not know what this is for it is to control the 120v water heater from the monitor panel. It's an easy modification.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:17 PM   #2

To save others the search here is where Jim Bennett described his mod.
I think quite a few others contacted KIB too as he said he had a pile of emails to go through.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...tml#post226380
Old 12-28-2017, 05:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
To save others the search here is where Jim Bennett described his mod.
I think quite a few others contacted KIB too as he said he had a pile of emails to go through.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...tml#post226380
My mod is sitting in boxes in the garage yet. Too darn cold to work on it right now, and my trailer is still sitting at the welding shop. Will be doing it early in the next year as temps are supposed to get nearer 0°C.

I have heard from a few folks that MIB got a bunch of requests all at once. They oughta by me a bottle of cheer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
My mod is sitting in boxes in the garage yet. Too darn cold to work on it right now, and my trailer is still sitting at the welding shop. Will be doing it early in the next year as temps are supposed to get nearer 0°C.

I have heard from a few folks that MIB got a bunch of requests all at once. They oughta by me a bottle of cheer.
When you do it do not swap wires like for like before you check. The switches are easy the single wire coming out is connected to the switch. On mine the electric water heater on the new panel is grey. On the old the gas water heater was that color. The wiring schematic for the new panel shows the 120v WH as grey and on the new one the gas WH wire was red. The other issue might have just been whoever did the wiring on mine. I decided to check the tank wiring to make sure it went to the right place while I was at it. And the grey and black were swapped. I never noticed a problem but it is better to have them wired right.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:12 PM   #5

Quote:
When you do it do not swap wires like for like before you check. The switches are easy the single wire coming out is connected to the switch. On mine the electric water heater on the new panel is grey. On the old the gas water heater was that color. The wiring schematic for the new panel shows the 120v WH as grey and on the new one the gas WH wire was red. The other issue might have just been whoever did the wiring on mine. I decided to check the tank wiring to make sure it went to the right place while I was at it. And the grey and black were swapped. I never noticed a problem but it is better to have them wired right.
I will give it a check, thanks.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-29-2017, 11:01 AM   #6

For anyone needing the relay. I have had one on back order for over 2 weeks and they could not give me an estimate of arrival. I just cancelled the order and ordered it from Mouser, it plus shipping came out less than one plus shipping from the RV places for Suburban part # 232948 which actually is a Potter & Brumfield T9AP1D52-12 NO 30 amp relay. And it will be here Tuesday.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...qjJckIXA%3d%3d.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:06 PM   #7

KIB sent 2 panels to somebody

I just received a phone call from KIB . I was out in the trailer splicing the new panel in and they wanted to know if I had received two by mistake. I have not but I guess someone else here did not get theirs or if I heard the lady right they received something else instead.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:26 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
To answer the question of where the relay is installed: It's installed in the junction box on the side of the hot water heater. The pics below show the installed relay. There are two existing holes - just use sheet metal screws and it's done.

p.s. that's the same place Suburban mounts the relay in the SW6DEL.
Attached Thumbnails
Relay location1.jpg   Relay location2.jpg  
Old 12-29-2017, 12:49 PM   #9

Quote:
I just received a phone call from KIB . I was out in the trailer splicing the new panel in and they wanted to know if I had received two by mistake. I have not but I guess someone else here did not get theirs or if I heard the lady right they received something else instead.
Fred got the wrong one, not even close. I was first sent the one I already have, but they were good and sent me the for one free. I now have two of the old style as spares.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
To answer the question of where the relay is installed: It's installed in the junction box on the side of the hot water heater. The pics below show the installed relay. There are two existing holes - just use sheet metal screws and it's done.

So it's almost done. I'll have the relay next week. The panel will be wired in shortly, I thought I had some yellow splices but if I do I sure do not know where I hid them so I'm off to buy some. I've installed a Springfield pedestal, a Seaflo accumulator tank and this item thanks to post on this site in the last couple months alone. I gotta quit reading here Amazon and the other places must love it when I read about some doodad that was added by someone on here.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:54 PM   #11

Quote:

Good visual, Tom.

I missed the relay at first as it is in the shadows up on on the top of the junction box in the second pic. Just sayin' this in case anyone else was scratching their heads too.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:55 PM   #12

Quote:
So it's almost done. I'll have the relay next week. The panel will be wired in shortly, I thought I had some yellow splices but if I do I sure do not know where I hid them so I'm off to buy some. I've installed a Springfield pedestal, a Seaflo accumulator tank and this item thanks to post on this site in the last couple months alone. I gotta quit reading here Amazon and the other places must love it when I read about some doodad that was added by someone on here.
Maybe you should have a look at my cabinetry thread if you are running outta things to do.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Fred got the wrong one, not even close. I was first sent the one I already have, but they were good and sent me the for one free. I now have two of the old style as spares.
Per the lady when she called me the circuit board and the switches are the same on both so I plan on saving the old one as a spare.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:06 PM   #14

Quote:

Thank you! I just received notification that you had sent 2 messages a little while ago and was going to respond there.
I do not have the part yet so I was not sure where it went. I have the wire coiled up and waiting for when it gets here.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:17 PM   #15

Quote:
I wonder what Fred received.

Best I ever got was one time I ordered a replacement overflow tank for a radiator. When the box arrived it was large and heavy which did not seem right. When I opened it there was an intake manifold for a straight 6 with the mount for a 4 barrel carb and a straight 6 header that had 2 collectors and assorted gaskets and other parts.
So I called the company and after wading through several layers of people finally spoke to someone who knew what I was talking about. It seems I received high performance parts for an AMC Gremlin.
Since it would not hold radiator fluid I was willing to send them back for the right part.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:36 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
The KIB M1086 Tank monitor came in today

Quote:

Yup, that was me that triggered some phone calls.
I ordered M1086:

and they sent me M1596:

I can see where the similarities are...

NOWHERE!!!

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Yup, that was me that triggered some phone calls.
I ordered M1086:

and they sent me M1596:

I can see where the similarities are...

NOWHERE!!!

Fred M.

Well you could mount it and look impressive like the kids who stick a coffee can on their tailpipe and paint the inside black.

I will say when they mess up they really mess up.
I wonder if there is a Forest River owner out there that is holding a tiny panel and trying to figure how that is supposed to do all the fancy things his coach is supposed to do.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:28 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I dunno Fred, if you’d installed the wrong one you might now have a slide out.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:37 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
LOL! Funny guys!

Just to be clear, KIB apologized profusely and is shipping the correct one.

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:42 PM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I dunno Fred, if you’d installed the wrong one you might now have a slide out.
Not to mention the tank heaters and the generator! [emoji23]