Things that aren't on the option list - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2013, 06:51 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Things that aren't on the option list

Vicki recently asked how to know what things Escape will do that aren't on the standard build sheet. I was thinking that it could be useful to have one thread where people list those things. I know that I've read a lot of different threads and taken notes but it seems like I'm always learning about new things that I would never have known about if I wasn't glued to this forum.

I'll start with what we're doing:
--We've reversed the position of the sink and the stove
--We're reinforcing 4 walls to be able to hang things, etc.
--Electric jack
--Pedal toilet
--Power tongue jack
--Additional set LED brake lights
--Eliminated stove vent and replaced with overhead light

What comes to mind that others have done

--Kitchen counter extension in 19 on the side of the bed.
--Shelves in the wardrobe
--Digital control for air conditioner

that's all I can think of for now
Ruth
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:12 AM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Thanks for the thread Ruthe! I find it confusing as we put together our build sheet. I see AC as an option but then people talk about more than one brand for AC. Is there a point in the process where this is offered?
Old 10-07-2013, 07:24 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 E21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
Vicki recently asked how to know what things Escape will do that aren't on the standard build sheet. I was thinking that it could be useful to have one thread where people list those things. I know that I've read a lot of different threads and taken notes but it seems like I'm always learning about new things that I would never have known about if I wasn't glued to this forum.

I'll start with what we're doing:
--We've reversed the position of the sink and the stove
--We're reinforcing 4 walls to be able to hang things, etc.
--Electric jack
--Pedal toilet
--Power tongue jack
--Additional set LED brake lights
--Eliminated stove vent and replaced with overhead light

What comes to mind that others have done

--Kitchen counter extension in 19 on the side of the bed.
--Shelves in the wardrobe
--Digital control for air conditioner

that's all I can think of for now
Ruth

Ruth,
We're still compiling our build list but this is what we have so far in terms of customization.
Custom Factory Options (if agreed to by ETI)
Install Brake Controller TBA
Toilet Shut-off Valve $25.00
EZ Lube axles ($50 x 2) $100.00
Extra LED Brake Light (Horizontal) $95.00
EZ Winterizing "T" valve w/ 18" hose $30.00
6" dinette cushions (seat only) TBA
Extra 120 volt outlets (#?) TBA
Extra combo 120/12 volt outlets (#?) TBA
Maxx Fan Upgrade (7500R) $100.00
Counter Extension (bed side) $85.00
Flip placement of stove and sink $100.00
DVD of orientation TBA
Battery cut-off switch $35.00
Trailer name graphic? TBA
Front light over storage box/amber lens $60.00

Prices listed have been confirmed by Kim at ETI.

Glenn
Old 10-07-2013, 07:52 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
When we were putting our build sheet together this was also my thought. But I read the forums; found what others were doing, why, and how they liked the result. Some things I went back and forth over, changing my mind several times. Also over time the standard items change as Escape finds better ways to do things. Now I am ambivalent about trying to list everything.

I talked to Reace and Tammy with a long list of needs/wants - and some were doable and some not. Basically if there is something you want ask for it.

My build sheet is here:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...html#post33688
We have since added - rotate the stove 90 for more usable counter space. And there are several things I will do after we get it that Reace declined to do, but may eventually offer if there is enough demand. And there are some things he just won't do (but he always has a good reason and will tell you why.)
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:20 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
This is a nice list and very beneficial. A couple of thoughts, the digital thermostat comes only with the Dometic a/c, not the Polar Cub. Also I think there are only 2 walls in the 19' that need reinforced, the side dinette and the bath front. The little kitchen wall can not be reinforced with plywood as it carries wires and the refer wall is already reinforced. Also if you add a flip up shelf to those 2 walls reinforcing will be installed automatically. These were my observations from my 19'. Also there are extra windows and extra "opening" windows. Just remember the extra opening windows are not thermal. Power tongue jack is an option, power stabilizer jacks I do not think Reace will install. Also there are 2 antenna choices, Winegard(round) and Jack (bat wing shape),
I have had both and prefer the Jack model.
Other non Escape items are you choice of televisions. I prefer using 12v LED TV with built in dvd purchased at Amazon. With 12v you do not need extra 120v outlets and 12v outlets can easily be installed.
Again it never hurts to ask Escape for something, they can either say yes or no.
Another thought is making the rear in the 19' into a "U" shaped dinette and the front into a double bed or having front and back "U" shaped dinettes. I do not think you will find any other trailer manufacturer that will do these changes, regardless of cost.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #6

We've also gone back and forth about a lot of items and thanks in part to the forum have eliminated several items that I originally thought were needed. Terry had just assumed that a power jack was standard and due to the forum we realized it wasn't and added it to the build sheet. In response to the air conditioner question -- there are a couple of threads already devoted to this. At this point the smaller air conditioner has been discontinued but there might be some still available -- you would have to talk to Reese. After talking with him we decided to just go with the standard air and possibly get a digital controller -- something we learned about from the forum and Reese said might be useful.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:26 AM   #7

hmmm. Kim had suggested reinforcing the kitchen walls -- I think I'll need to get back to Escape about that.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #8

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
When we were ordering our Escape, I also wished for a master list of options, but if we expect build flexibility from Escape, and we do, then the options list is constantly in flux. Maybe Escape Trailer Industries itself could update the options page more frequently on their website, perhaps even posting an ever-changing list of the NEW options they've agreed to do at customer request, such as "Options Watch 2013" and later "Options Watch 2014".

What I also think is very important is that the Escape company do a more thorough job of updating their website so that buyers in the queue know in real time the changes that Escape is making--changes to what is STANDARD. During our build, some standards were being changed without us being told, one which would have disappointed us greatly if we had not caught it in time and quickly changed it back to the older version. I think we learned about the changing standards by reading the Forum obsessively, but there must be a better way.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #9

Trailer: none as of yet
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how does switching the sink and stove give you more counter space? Wouldn't they still take up the same amount of space?
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
The two non listed additions I had Escape install on my 2011 17B were a cell phone antenna and amplifier for my data system, and a back up camera.

As to other modifications, I have a web page full of them. A few are now factory options, others are not, but they may give you something to think about. So far I have not regretted any of them.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:23 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5TA
Good thread Ruthe! Just gives us more ideas to play with!

I believe Escape does it's very best on the web site to "keep up", sometimes I think "keeping up" with the bunch of us, may be nearly impossible!
Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:06 AM   #12

In answer to why switch the sink and stove -- it's not about counter space -- for me it is because I didn't want to stand next to the bed and cook -- this way there won't be a complete side wall next to the stove and i wanted to be able to pass food pretty directly from the stove out the door. I also thought -- and won't know it until I see it -- that it would make the trailer space feel bigger.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykcamom View Post
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how does switching the sink and stove give you more counter space? Wouldn't they still take up the same amount of space?
Correct, you are not adding counter space, perhaps if you turned the 2 burner stove sideways you can gain some extra space. The nice thing about reversing the stove and sink is by putting the stove away from the sleeping area (in the 19) and closer to the open door and with the MaxxFan ceiling fan would allow one to eliminate the o/h hood, whereas leaving the stove next to the bed would necessitate keeping the exhaust hood.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Our additions not on options list.

Deleted range hood
Extra drawer under closet - note, your closet will not be as deep.
Exterior light switch at door
Interior light switch at door
Digital thermostat controlling A/C and Heat
1 extra 120 volt outlet
2 extra 12 volt outlets
Anderson EQ hitch
Battery isolator switch
Additional counter extension on Fridge wall in bedroom
EZ lube axles
2 way hot water heater electric/propane
Reinforced 4 walls. kitchen/bedroom, front bath, bath facing door, fridge facing bedroom
Extra high mount brake lights
2 burner stainless stove (matches sink without having to go to 3 burner).

What I wish we had done but did not know about.

Change trim on counter top to one color (all dark) along with table trim

Asked if I could Upgrade 4.3 refrigerator to model that has automatic changeover between propane and electric (they make the same fridge with this, its in the owners manual, 6.7 fridge comes with this from other trailers we have seen) Now I have to remember to switch fridge to propane when unhooking from electric. The fridge will beep a warning when you unplug electric if your inside the camper to hear it or have better hearing then I do. Dont take me wrong, I love this fridge. It is the nicest one we have ever had and even has LED lights inside. Just something I would like.

Asked if awning color could be changed to match graphics color. Never thought of it until we rolled it out.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #15

Can you tell me what easy lube axels are and how much extra they are?

Also, is the interior light switch for the porch light? I thought that was standard. Else, how would you turn on the light?

And now I'm wondering about the awning. Can someone direct me to a picture with an awning -- i never thought about clashing colors outside
Old 10-07-2013, 03:14 PM   #16

The EZ lube axles are $50/each set extra, it enables you to grease your axle with a hand grease gun in between bearing service, if you are a do it yourself, nice to have, if you take your unit to the shop for routine service, then you may not ever use the ez lube feature. The exterior light has it's own on/off switch on the light, but with the interior switch you can control it from inside.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:18 PM   #17

Thanks Jim --
Old 10-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
Can you tell me what easy lube axels are and how much extra they are?

Also, is the interior light switch for the porch light? I thought that was standard. Else, how would you turn on the light?

Ruth
EZ Lube axles allow you to lube the bearings without removing the wheels. Do not get them if you dont know how to use them. You can get grease on your brakes if not done properly. Also you should still remove and hand pack your bearings in between so new seals can be installed and everything can be inspected.

The exterior pouch light just comes standard with a switch on the bottom of the fixture that must be turned on and off from outside the camper. With a interior switch wired to it you can turn on the outside light from inside the trailer.

The interior light switch mounted on door frame allows you to turn on the interior lights when you open the door before you enter the trailer.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #19

Escape just sent me my final build sheet confirmation, starting next week, oooooeeeee. Ruthe, there is a cancellation on the Escape production today, Dec 4th is open now, see if you can switch dates and you can get on my delivery truck. save you some $$$
Old 10-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #20

Not a good picture but its beige or light brown. it may not be a available to change. Guess its time for us to get a new rug. :-)