Tongue Box - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2023, 11:24 AM   #1
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
Tongue Box

Some of you may recall my horror at paying $1200 for a tongue storage box, when we paid $695 our so when we bought our 19 several years ago. While I like the Escape box, I can't stomach spending that kind of money for one.

So I did a bit of looking and got some good tips from you all here. I ended up with this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BR37DCBV...roduct_details

It was difficult finding something suitable, as the typical pickup truck storage box is 21 wide and there is only about 16 inches to work with between the trailer and propane tanks, and you have to ensure room for the lid to open. Installation was easy, although I had to adjust the E2 Fastway hitch sway/tension bar holders about a 1/2 inch forward from where Escape had placed them, but taking care to check the E2 manual to ensure I was still withi the acceptable distance from the ball.

With the bolts, washers, etc that I had to buy, the total came out to about $260, or the better part of $1,000 less than the Escape box.

While I admit the Escape box is prettier, I just can't let go of $1,000 because of that, and when you account for the batteries being installed in the fiberglass box from Escape (for the 19 model, which was my experience), there is a very favorable / comparable amount of space in this one.

I certainly get it for those who are willing to spend the extra $$ to get a custom looking storage box, but for those who do not wish to spend those $$ and are okay with a standard box, this may be an option for you. This was also one of the few boxes I researched that did not have a bunch of negative reviews about damage from shipping, and ours came without a dent or even a scratch.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4013-1.jpg   IMG_4012-1.jpg  
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 11:40 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Glad you found something that works for you

When it comes to spending money, I often think... different strokes for different folks.

For instance, there are those that like the shiny alloy wheels for their trailer and are willing to spend the money. My white steel wheels go round and round exactly the same. .

IMHO any storage box is better than no storage box. But what do I know, I have a 5th wheel. And no, I don't want one on the back.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 12:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
My rear end still hurts a little from kicking myself each time I see a reasonably priced steel box. The pain is triggered when I remember that I passed one up similar to the one shown in the first post at a tailgater flea market a couple years back that was $50. What was I thinking? I wasn’t !
Never thought about how handy it would have been on the tongue of my utility trailer. It even had the cutback corners to avoid a jackknife dent.
I’ve pretty much lived by “form follows function” and while I like nice looking things that work, I’m a repurposing hoarder most happy when I get a deal or use something I got for free.
Some folks understand and some don’t.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-10-2023, 01:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
ETI used to give you a free storage box if you bought another trailer. that's has changed. you look like you found a good solution. I must say in my order I thought the 500 for the box was high. Now it seems like a got deal. after owning a casita with no storage I sure like having the storage box up front.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 02:52 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Looks good

Do be cautious with your new box when you have to do some tight backing up. Your vehicle could strike an outside corner of the box. Even with angled ends on a box I built, a tie-down eyelet on my rear bumper punctured my box during a crazy, convoluted back-in to a site. No big thing, but a hassle.

Just a thought. You could spray paint your new box white to make it look more like the trailer itself and visually blend in.
Attached Thumbnails
Escape box.jpg  
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 05:00 PM   #6

Trailer: WTB: E19
I just purchased the Escape storage box.

I just purchased and picked up my front dstorage box for a 19 yesterday. Expensive but I need something to throw "stuff" into. I don't know why Escape doesn't just include it standard. As I bought my trailer used the original owner didn't order one. It was a $700 option in 2017 now I paid twice that, had to rent a uhaul and drive 2.5 hours each way to pick it up and it was in a snow storm...

19' Storage Box 1 CAD - 1,445.00
Crate Fee 1 CAD 300.00

Subtotal 1,855.00
GST 77.75
PST 108.85
Total CAD $ 2,041.60 (about $1,524)
Attached Thumbnails
storage box.jpg   snow.jpg  
Old 02-10-2023, 07:08 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Thanks for posting about the metal box. Personally I don’t like the look of the Escape box and the way it is mounted on the trailer.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 08:31 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
Do be cautious with your new box when you have to do some tight backing up. Your vehicle could strike an outside corner of the box. Even with angled ends on a box I built, a tie-down eyelet on my rear bumper punctured my box during a crazy, convoluted back-in to a site. No big thing, but a hassle.

Just a thought. You could spray paint your new box white to make it look more like the trailer itself and visually blend in.
Thats a good point. I have the factor box and took out the tail light of my Tacoma on my first trip. I was not even backing up just turn sharp at a gas pump. Now my turns our wider.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 10:05 AM   #9
DT6

Thanks to all for the tail light reminder. I did bust a tail light on my F150 shortly after we got our 19. It was a tough lesson as well, $1,500+ (blind spot capability $$), and that was with the Escape box. I will take it to the nearby school parking lot before we leave and test it out. I loaded the box up last night and it held everything we had in the factory box on the 19, but remember, the 19 box (and maybe the 17?) loses some space to the batteries.

We are taking off Monday for about 6-weeks heading south through S.Cal, then to Las Vegas for a MSBL Baseball Tournament (the Twins 3rd base coach told me several years ago that watching us old guys play baseball is like watching a college team play the game underwater) then off to Phoenix, Tucson, and then back home.
Old 02-11-2023, 10:19 AM   #10

Trailer: WTB: E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT6 View Post
Thanks to all for the tail light reminder. I did bust a tail light on my F150 shortly after we got our 19. It was a tough lesson as well, $1,500+ (blind spot capability $$), and that was with the Escape box. I will take it to the nearby school parking lot before we leave and test it out. I loaded the box up last night and it held everything we had in the factory box on the 19, but remember, the 19 box (and maybe the 17?) loses some space to the batteries.
I am moving the AGM inside to get all of the storage box
Escape_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 11:17 AM   #11

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Thanks to all for the tail light reminder. I did bust a tail light on my F150 shortly after we got our 19. It was a tough lesson as well, $1,500+ (blind spot capability $$), and that was with the Escape box.
FYI, in case this happens to you again (eek!) or anyone else (let’s hope not!), I also had to replace a tail light with the blind spot sensor on our F-150 (not trailer related). I bought an OEM tail light assembly (sensor compatible) from my local Ford dealer for around $500 and replaced it myself. It was not very hard at all. The bulbs and sensor were not included, so those parts were scavenged from the broken tail light. I saw cheaper ones on-line as well, but felt better going OEM. Still too much $$$ for a tail light, but better than $1,500. Again, hopefully nobody needs this info - sure is aggravating!
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 01:29 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Yah, love my F150, best tow vehicle ever. Hate the F150 tail light. Should have been recalled due to poor design. It isn't sealed because they wanted condensation to be able to drain out. An admitted design flaw that they considered recalling but didn't. Works great until it doesn't and then your truck shuts down. It affects everything.

In my case the bill would have been higher than the costs quoted above but fortunately the dealer and Ford Canada swallowed most of it. I view those tail lights as a ticking time bomb for the years affected. Something like 2015-2019.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 06:18 PM   #13

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
Well if it ends up being to tight of a fit for cornering you can sell it on craigslist and buy a specific trailer tongue box. Like this https://www.amazon.com/ARKSEN-Diamon...751341740&th=1
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 10:00 AM   #14
DT6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Yah, love my F150, best tow vehicle ever. Hate the F150 tail light. Should have been recalled due to poor design. It isn't sealed because they wanted condensation to be able to drain out. An admitted design flaw that they considered recalling but didn't. Works great until it doesn't and then your truck shuts down. It affects everything.
Ron
Ron - So the tail light was the cause of all your electrical problems?

Quote:
Well if it ends up being to tight of a fit for cornering you can sell it on craigslist and buy a specific trailer tongue box. Like this https://www.amazon.com/ARKSEN-Diamon...751341740&th=1
Great find! Just goes to show that you can spend days searching for something and miss a good one. I think I would have preferred the one you found, but I could never find one of this style that was 16" deep or less. Even if I have to junk the other box and buy this one, I'm stlll six or seven hundred dollars ahead. Thanks for posting this.
Old 02-12-2023, 11:29 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have always drilled small drain holes on the bottom of these lights to allow any condensation of leaked liquid to escape.....
Old 02-12-2023, 02:12 PM   #16

Quote:

Ron - So the tail light was the cause of all your electrical problems?

Absolutely, any moisture near the BLISS module precipitates it telling all the other modules, help, I have a problem and an incredible number of things stop working.

Ron
Old 02-12-2023, 03:34 PM   #17

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
It's always hard to know, if yours works out for you clearance wise you get more room in a square cornered box. It looks like yours will be fine at 49" wide.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 04:19 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
I agree the cost of the storage box is crazy, but I really find the one on our 19' worth it.
I found the batteries sitting on the bottom took up too much room so I sunk a battery box down through the bottom between the frame rails, supported the box with steel brackets, it provides so much more room.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20220514_185525373.PORTRAIT.jpg   PXL_20220514_185557452.MP.jpg   PXL_20220514_185723640.PORTRAIT.jpg  
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 04:38 PM   #19

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Clever mod

Yeah, why not use that space to advantage. Your mod looks robust and well done.

BRAVO!
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 07:17 AM   #20

Always interesting to see a mod, that to my knowledge, no one else has done. Definitely increases the usable space in the box.

Ron