Tool box - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2018, 10:38 PM   #21

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Now, as a result of, well, let's just say there's a small dent on one corner, no need for details I'm thinking that I might repair the dent and paint it Dover White to match the propane tank cover. Or leave it as is and put some vinyl rock guards over the front corners. We'll see.
Needs another bumper sticker then. problem solved.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:23 AM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The Oliver cover encloses a relatively normal A-frame tongue shape (it might not be the common 50° angle because they don't use an A-frame coupler), and just covers the equipment on the tongue. Bigfoot has done these for many years, too, as standard equipment.

The Oliver and standard Bigfoot covers follow the frame rails, so neither of these would work with Escape's current tongue configuration, which places the propane tanks forward and substantially overhanging the frame sides so that there is space behind it for the batteries (in the case of the 19' only) and the optional storage box (or custom equivalent). Escape could make a wide cover to accommodate the tanks, or go back to having two tongue configurations: one with the propane tanks back for the sleek cover, the other with the tanks forward to accommodate the storage box.

Recently Bigfoot has had a much larger combination of storage box and cover available, which follows the line of the tongue past the propane tanks, then flares out to become the optional storage box for all models, as shown in their list:
Quote:
Fiberglass Front Cargo Box (Adds 2' to length of Trailer)
The frame extension provides room for the box. I suppose Escape could do the same thing, if they were willing to have two frame variations. Personally, I would rather have a two-foot-longer trailer than a box.

Some owners (not of Escapes, as far as I know) have extended their trailer's frame to provide storage space up front. It's not a minor project.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:19 AM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
It's just a big ugly, silly looking box. Makes no sense, like Botox for canisters, or a really big wig for a Hot-cha wannabee.

I think the "Cod Box" reference does great injustice to cods. They are a great fish, provide a welcome livelihood for New England, which many enjoy at dinner.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:06 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Tool box

The tool box is constructed and looks really good, choose to use 3/16 plate, yes a little heavier but much better than that paper looking stuff at the big box stores. Fabricator is waiting on latches and shocks now so when it's finished I'll post some pictures.
Snuffy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:02 AM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
It's here

Finally getting around to mounting the box figuring out how to stow what I want to carry. Once all the holes are drilled for regulators bottles oct I'll take it off and paint it.

I have one opinion on this but would like others, we only use the camper for a week or two at a time. When possible we use electricity for all we can. Is there any reason to need two 20# tanks of propane?
Snuffy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:05 AM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy2 View Post
Finally getting around to mounting the box figuring out how to stow what I want to carry. Once all the holes are drilled for regulators bottles oct I'll take it off and paint it.

I have one opinion on this but would like others, we only use the camper for a week or two at a time. When possible we use electricity for all we can. Is there any reason to need two 20# tanks of propane?
Hi: Snuffy2... Using a "Campfire in a can" was the one reason that came to mind!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:40 AM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
we only use the camper for a week or two at a time. When possible we use electricity for all we can. Is there any reason to need two 20# tanks of propane?
We get about 3 weeks or more to a tank. That varies a bit with time of year and furnace use etc. but we've never come close to going through a tank in a week or two.

So I'd say, from your description of your anticipated usage, that you're unlikely to need two 20# tanks. There's always the option of having an adapter for a one# tank or even a 5# tank for backup if you ever did run out.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:19 PM   #28

Quote:
... we only use the camper for a week or two at a time. When possible we use electricity for all we can. Is there any reason to need two 20# tanks of propane?
If you always start each trip will a full tank, and don't have an extreme propane consumer (such as a "campfire"), then it seems unlikely that a second tank would be needed.

So when it's time to leave a trip and you have only a quarter-full tank, what do you do? For someone with a dual tank setup it's easy: you go on your trip with the quarter-full tank and when it runs out you switch to the next full tank. If you carry only one tank you can just top it off before each trip, but around here at most propane stations you pay the same for a fill regardless of what was already in the tank; maybe that's not an issue because
  • propane stations in your area charge only for what they add to a tank when topping it off, or
  • the cost of paying for propane that you don't get is small change in the greater scheme of things, or
  • you use up the partial tank on your backyard grill at home and take a different full tank on the trailer.

It really depends on your individual situation.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:46 PM   #29

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
What are you going to do with the space and weight gain?
I'd just leave it the way it comes, and when you run out of propane in one tank and it automatically switches over, in the middle of a cold October night, you'll be happy you didn't have to climb out of a warm bed to make a propane run.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:31 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
What are you going to do with the space and weight gain?
If my calculation is correct, the walls, lid and floor (without overlapping seams or edges, hardware, or any supporting structure) of this box will be about 35 kilograms (77 pounds), so I think the box itself will use up the weight savings of going from two propane tanks to one.

This is a pretty big box for the tongue: 442 litres or 16 cubic feet.