Tootsie Rest and other Mods - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2016, 02:42 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Tootsie Rest and other Mods

Since we purchased CPAHarley's 2014 21 foot Escape a month ago we have renamed her and added a few personal touches.

First was the name game and we finally came up with Mis-Adventure which is a play on her being a Miss and us doing the Adventures (or Madventures as we call them) Mr. Man decided he wanted to go do the whole magilla and had graphics made for her.

Then he bought the telescoping / swivel Springfield Marine table base to replace the two legs already there and make it easier to get in and out of the dinette. He also built a tootsie rest under the my side of the table as I am rather on the not so tall side.

Since we don't do hang-up clothes he converted the closet space to roll-out shelving. I love it. There is enough space to eliminate one tote each of the 4 we carried under the bed in our Li'l Scamp. Now we will have one each with cold weather clothing that will live in the storage hatch under the bed.

Next on the list was a shoe cubby at the end of the bed. And, what a great use of the space is going to be keeping our shoes from being all over the floor while in camp. We're also hoping the towards the wall slant will keep them rounded up while in transit as well.

Lastly was my favorite mod....a shelf unit on top of the drawer unit by the end of the bed. I am calling that my Office Space as it will house my Escape Notebook, Travel Notebook, Daily Planner, Shell Book, Bird Book and any number of other booklike products I own in addition to my little office supply box which is indispensible.

He had already added a riser to the outside step to accommodate my height challenge. He completed the assist by loosely attaching a hand strap to one of the hooks on the entryway since I also have a gimpy hip.

With those I think we are done for this reno season as we are preparing to hit the road next week headed to the Escape Rally in BC.

Hi-ho Mis-Adventure
Attached Thumbnails
Front.jpg   Clothes closet.jpg   Table.jpg   Tootsie Rest.jpg  

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 02:44 PM   #2

The remaining Mods

The remaing pix....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shoe Cubby.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	16283

Name:	Shoe Cubby 2.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	16284

Name:	Shelf.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	16285

Name:	Strap.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	16286

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
Old 05-07-2016, 03:08 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Wow you have been busy! These all look like great mods!
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Wow! You made it truly your own! Very nice!
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Very nice personal touches to your trailer .Love you added some color to the exterior , your closet mod ,and desk . Looking forward to your future mods . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:57 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Very sensible modifications and the new name is so clever!
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:13 PM   #7

2 years ago we lived in our 16' Scamp as we traveled the country from May to November. Over the trips before that Madventure we experimented to utilize every available space for extra storage. Mr. Man is very creative and thought up some very useful shelving as well as expanding the doorside cabinets in her.

While Mis-Adventure is considerably larger than Li'l Scamp, it will take time and mileage to ferret out what is going to live where over the long haul. To that end I will start a "Let's Try This" List which will turn into his "Honey, Can You Do This" List when we get home. All part of the journey. Yanno?

Josie

Old 05-07-2016, 04:27 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2yax2go View Post
...we experimented to utilize every available space for extra storage...
It took me almost two years to get everything "settled" in my little 15A and I still have a couple of empty areas. Since I already had the kitchen sink, I didn't need to pack one along with everything else many others find necessary. I do like your "library" modification especially. Mine ended up being the cubby behind the enclosed shelf at the rear of the trailer. I put stuff I don't really use often in the two corners behind my speakers and all my many reference books, maps, journals, and such right there where the upper door is located--very handy when sitting at the table just to stand up and get what I want. Still love my 15A...
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:55 PM   #9

I think it took us at least that long in the Scamp.

We also put things not used often in the overheads that are not as easy to get into. Ya gotta do what works. I'm of much less height than himself so what is a snap for him is not so much for me. (I do carry a folding stool for the higher cabinets).

I am wondering about better utilization of the spaces under the seats at the dinette. Right now we are limited to taking off the cushions to raise the hatches to use those spaces. I'm thinking I'd like doors that might (or not) be less troublesome to access. But, that is not critical to this trip so it can wait while we debate the pro's and con's.

One of the things I do really like about what was already done was the cubbies that were build into the space by the door. So handy to keep the dog's leash, poop bags, knit caps and gloves. CPAHarley even put lights in them that can be turned on to find things in the dark or just add some ambiance to the trailer itself. Quite clever.

I'm looking forward to the rally at Osoyoos so we can peek at others' storage ideas. Peeps are always so helpful about telling you how they did theirs and why.

Old 05-08-2016, 06:50 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
BlackJack will be missed but I'm liking the changes....there is always room for improvement.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:04 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA Sold
Quote:
Since we purchased CPAHarley's 2014 21 foot Escape a month ago we have renamed her and added a few personal touches.

Since we don't do hang-up clothes he converted the closet space to roll-out shelving. I love it. There is enough space to eliminate one tote each of the 4 we carried under the bed in our Li'l Scamp. Now we will have one each with cold weather clothing that will live in the storage hatch under the bed.

Hi-ho Mis-Adventure
Love the mods!

Quick question. Do you have any concerns about the drawers being stable during the rough and tumble rides that can be found on almost any trip? We are considering the exact same setup but I've been wondering if the sides of the cupboard can adequately support the drawers and their contents.

Happy trails!

Sometimes not having any idea where we're going works out better than we could possibly have imagined. Ann Patchett
runnergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:22 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape 21' Feb 2017
Great mods! Really appreciate you taking the time to share them.
Cslcs25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:51 AM   #13

Trailer: 2020 Bigfoot 25RQ
Where did you get the roll out drawers? I would like to purchase some too.
Sandyb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:51 AM   #14

The door should be enough to keep the shelves from sliding out during travel. If we find the drawers sliding out during our travels we can add a simple bungee to hold them in place

Old 05-08-2016, 07:57 AM   #15

We found them at our local Lowes they are 17 1/2" wide and 22" deep.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyb12 View Post
Where did you get the roll out drawers? I would like to purchase some too.
To add a little detail to Craig's answer about the roll-outs....they are in the section that has stuff for kitchen storage and such and come in a variety of sizes. They are very good quality and I love that they are open shelving for air circulation.

Josie

Old 05-08-2016, 10:15 AM   #17

Trailer: 2012 15A
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnergirl View Post
Love the mods!

Quick question. Do you have any concerns about the drawers being stable during the rough and tumble rides that can be found on almost any trip? We are considering the exact same setup but I've been wondering if the sides of the cupboard can adequately support the drawers and their contents.

Happy trails!
It looks like there are 2 vertical 2x2" supports installed on the side to support the slide hardware
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:58 AM   #18

Yes, but the setup on the left side is 1 1/2" and the one on the right is 2 1/4" using these measurements allowed the shelves to be centered to the opening. At the top they have a 3/4x3/4 notch and at the bottom a 1/4x3/4" notch to allow foe cabinet structure. At the top they screw into the horizontal support and at the bottom simple 1"X1"ell's to keep the bottom in place. The bottom slide needed to be kept up about 1/4" to bypass the face frame.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:11 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
I am wondering about better utilization of the spaces under the seats at the dinette. Right now we are limited to taking off the cushions to raise the hatches to use those spaces.
I dislike that set-up also. On boats that I've built I avoided that situation by covering the wood with the foam and fabric. Lifting the seat opens the area in one step, not two.

When our upholstery shows signs of needing replacement that's what I'll do.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote