Trailer covers with solar panels - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2022, 02:12 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I have covered our 2013 Escape 19' for about 5-6 months duration each winter for the past 9 winters and have had no damage to the Escape, solar panel, or the cover while the trailer is under cover. An added bonus has been that sufficient light passes through the trailer cover to allow the solar panel to keep the batteries charged over the winter.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 05:26 PM   #22

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Trailer cover with solat

One of the reasons we bought our 17b in 2011 was we could easily push it down the side of our house to store it. We bought the original cover Escape had professionally modified - expensive but it lasted 6 years. Then bought the aftermarket they offered at Escape which seemed decent for the price and bought a second one to keep on hand. We always covered the solar panel with foam puzzle matting secured by Velcro straps to protect the cover from damage. The covers did their job but sometimes a bit of a pain to put on. Last year we decided to buy a metal carport - had to lose my beautiful weeping sequoias to make the space but it was worth it. Affordable and easy to put up. We now have the option of using it for cover for other things like woodworking, car repairs etc. No more hassles with covers unless we want to leave the trailer out for other things. Not a solution for everyone as you need the space but I was adamant that the trailer be stored on our lot and not in front of my house. Yes, eventually you’ll have to replace your cloth cover but it’s cheap protection.
Attached Thumbnails
663B25A9-7F91-4FA5-98D8-75F2454BEE0B.jpg  
LBaranyai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 10:34 AM   #23

Trailer: 2022 Escape 19
I have a follow on question regarding the use of a cover for our 2021 E19 (with two solar panels/dual lithium batteries): We bought a Calmark cover to use to provide protection to the trailer when we're not using it. The cover does not have clear openings for the solar panels, so when the cover is in place, the solar panels are not keeping the batteries charged. We have easy access to a 120v outlet where our trailer is parked, so i can keep it plugged in continuously and keep the batteries charged that way...or, leave the cover off and let the solar panels charge the batteries. From the perspective of battery life, does anyone have thoughts on whether it is preferable to keep the batteries charged via solar panels vs. 120v electrical? (i'm just wondering if keeping the trailer plugged in all the time might degrade the batteries over time? vs. the solar panels? vs. not charging them at all until a few days before we go on a trip. thanks for any input on that!
jeffhaltiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 11:25 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Since I can keep my Escape at home, it is plugged in 24/7/365. That said, every month I unplug for 1 week and exercise the solar. That reminds me, I'll unplug tonite.
Old 07-06-2022, 11:08 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 19' Escape "Cattyshack"
My Calmark allows the single solar panel on my 19 to keep the dual 6V batteries around 70-75% charged during the summer months. In wintertime with the lower sun angle I tend to keep it plugged in since it usually drops in into the 30-40% charge level. The system should provide a trickle charge once full and not harm the batteries on solar or 110.
NCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 11:31 AM   #26

Trailer: 2022 Escape 19
thanks for the input guys! interesting that you get some charging through the Calmark cover. I was thinking i'd have to cut out an opening for the solar panels to have them work. (which would of course weaken the cover significantly, tho the climate here in Central California is pretty mild).
jeffhaltiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 01:55 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffhaltiner View Post
thanks for the input guys! interesting that you get some charging through the Calmark cover. I was thinking i'd have to cut out an opening for the solar panels to have them work. (which would of course weaken the cover significantly, tho the climate here in Central California is pretty mild).
I don't get any solar charging through the Calmark cover on my 15B, however, my 19' solar will keep the batteries fully charged with a non-Calmark cover on it.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 12:09 PM   #28

Trailer: 2018 21C
We have same Classic Accessories cover and like it. I believe current warranty is 3 years. We use pool noodles slit lengthways to cover edges of solar panels, TV antenna and camera brackets - easy way to protect cover from sharp edges. For our winter storage we simply disconnect the Lithium batteries and leave them in the trailer. According to Battleborn as long as their batteries are charged before disconnecting the leads, the batteries will be fine even in cold weather climates. So whether you need to plug in or use solar at all would depends on your battery type and what you want to do when the trailer is in storage.
JimB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 04:00 PM   #29

Trailer: 2021 Escape E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBaranyai View Post
One of the reasons we bought our 17b in 2011 was we could easily push it down the side of our house to store it. We bought the original cover Escape had professionally modified - expensive but it lasted 6 years. Then bought the aftermarket they offered at Escape which seemed decent for the price and bought a second one to keep on hand. We always covered the solar panel with foam puzzle matting secured by Velcro straps to protect the cover from damage. The covers did their job but sometimes a bit of a pain to put on. Last year we decided to buy a metal carport - had to lose my beautiful weeping sequoias to make the space but it was worth it. Affordable and easy to put up. We now have the option of using it for cover for other things like woodworking, car repairs etc. No more hassles with covers unless we want to leave the trailer out for other things. Not a solution for everyone as you need the space but I was adamant that the trailer be stored on our lot and not in front of my house. Yes, eventually you’ll have to replace your cloth cover but it’s cheap protection.
We have the cover provided by escape and overall it's pretty good. We have a lot of pollen and dust from the forest (fir trees) next door and so I do try and use the blower on it quite regularly. It also washes pretty good with the brush I use to scrub our wooden deck.

Put self-adhesive safety bumper corners on the solar panels and it's working pretty good as well and 1 less thing to do each time I use the cover.

We've been thinking about one of the metal carports and was wondering what size you got for your E17 and does that give you enough space to be able to wash it in there?
MarkinVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 06:11 PM   #30

Trailer: 2016 escape trailer 21'
We have a 2016 (with new body style) escape 21. Escape recommended Classic
Accessories PolyPRO 3 which they were out of at the time, so ordered from amazon. We also have the solar panels & used pool noodles to cover the edges. This cover will extend over the box on the front of the escape too. I was able to install it by myself . We are pleased with the fit.
whitepine is offline   Reply With Quote