Truck Hitch and bed cover compatibility. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-20-2020, 01:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0 TA
Truck Hitch and bed cover compatibility.

I just started my path to escape ownership by purchasing a Tow vehicle. It is an F150 with 5.0 and crew cab 5 1/2 ft bed. I am considering the 5.0 TA but have a few concerns. If I get the Anderson Ultimate fifth wheel hitch is there enough clearance to have a bed cover? If yes how can I tow with one of the tri fold sections left down. Thanks in advance.
xring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 01:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Yes and yes. I have a Fold a Cover. It actually is a quad fold instead of a tri fold cover. In the fully closed position there is about 4-5 inches of clearance from the top of the ball to the underside of the cover. I really like the ability to open the front panel in addition to the rear panel. No need to crawl under or fully open the cover to reach something in the front of the bed.

I have an F-150, 5.5 ft bed and Anderson Hitch with turnover ball configuration.

https://www.foldacover.com/
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 01:51 PM   #3

I found a photo. If you look closely you can see how the cover is folded when towing. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5747.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	50477
Old 09-20-2020, 03:29 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
Yes and yes. I have a Fold a Cover. It actually is a quad fold instead of a tri fold cover. In the fully closed position there is about 4-5 inches of clearance from the top of the ball to the underside of the cover. I really like the ability to open the front panel in addition to the rear panel. No need to crawl under or fully open the cover to reach something in the front of the bed.

I have an F-150, 5.5 ft bed and Anderson Hitch with turnover ball configuration.

https://www.foldacover.com/
What kind of stuff do you carry in the truck bed when towing? And what do you do when you stop somewhere briefly and you have to leave the trailer...do you unhook the trailer so that you can fully close the cover to secure the items?
TahoeJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:17 PM   #5

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
What kind of stuff do you carry in the truck bed when towing? And what do you do when you stop somewhere briefly and you have to leave the trailer...do you unhook the trailer so that you can fully close the cover to secure the items?
I also have a Fold-a-Cover, the G4 Elite with a Personal Caddy (a custom bin that fits under the forward panel). Even with the 5.0 hitched I can still get into the personal caddy which is where I keep the valuable stuff that might be pilfered or blow away because the back 3/4 of the bed is open when we travel.

Spendy, but we love it.
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:17 PM   #6

I carry folding chairs, two small folding tables, chocks, leveling boards and two plastic bins with miscellaneous gear. It’s all inexpensive and replaceable. I don’t unhitch when we make a quick stop. I leave it open and have never had a problem. I actually am more concerned that the gear in the back is weather proof or in the plastic bins. In reality, the 5.0 when hitched is close enough to the bed rails and tailgate that it makes it difficult for someone to remove something from the bed of the truck.

I unhitch on overnights and close the cover.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:36 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by xring View Post
I just started my path to escape ownership by purchasing a Tow vehicle. It is an F150 with 5.0 and crew cab 5 1/2 ft bed. I am considering the 5.0 TA but have a few concerns. If I get the Anderson Ultimate fifth wheel hitch is there enough clearance to have a bed cover? If yes how can I tow with one of the tri fold sections left down. Thanks in advance.
Yes and maybe. In doing my research I found that depending on bed length and brand of cover not all tri fold will work. That’s why I went with the Fold-a-Cover which is a 4 panel cover. It’s a great product and has held up well. I got the optional tool box and it works good for on the road or picking up groceries.
Attached Thumbnails
4FAD0CDC-D58D-411A-BC7B-8DB918CEF55A.jpeg   82929366-AD2B-424A-A83D-920777BD97CD.jpeg   CEC16530-7427-4225-B712-17DA28293B2B.jpeg  
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
When you have the trailer hooked up it would be difficult for someone to steal my cooler or storage box. Especially with a locking tailgate, which the F150 has. You could probably grab a couple of beers out of it but I’m not loosing any sleep over that
Attached Thumbnails
3D75347C-73E8-4C9E-A8B7-31D43E18F115.jpg  
Old 09-21-2020, 08:44 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Light fingers!!!

Hi: xring... We always travel with our Tri fold cover on and open. Lost a length of 4X4 used to put the front feet down on. It blew out of the box in a 70 mph cross wind in Ohio. It's not always light fingers that take stuff!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040975.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: xring... We always travel with our Tri fold cover on and open. Lost a length of 4X4 used to put the front feet down on. It blew out of the box in a 70 mph cross wind in Ohio. It's not always light fingers that take stuff!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
😳 hope it didn’t find someone’s windshield 😖
Old 09-21-2020, 09:44 AM   #11

Thanks to each of you for all of the info. Since we have such a small bed I was trending toward the type that will fold all the way till the last 4 inches or so like the Bakflip versions but I think this may be a better solution. Seeing it helps a lot, the front opening panel is compelling since I plan on playing with this truck more than working but it shouldn't affect my ability to carry plywood and such. Thanks again.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Thanks to each of you for all of the info. Since we have such a small bed I was trending toward the type that will fold all the way till the last 4 inches or so like the Bakflip versions but I think this may be a better solution. Seeing it helps a lot, the front opening panel is compelling since I plan on playing with this truck more than working but it shouldn't affect my ability to carry plywood and such. Thanks again.

If you go with the Fold a cover on an F-150 consider getting the “bed side step” option on both sides. It makes reaching into the front of the bed much easier.
Old 09-21-2020, 02:02 PM   #13

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
If you go with the Fold a cover on an F-150 consider getting the “bed side step” option on both sides. It makes reaching into the front of the bed much easier.
How much is the Ford Fold a cover?
sofmerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 02:15 PM   #14

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Does anyone use the retractable cover - like Retrax? The 2021 F150 has a retractable cover option that we are interested in getting. I am guessing that there would be no problem with the 5.0 hitch - as we are getting the 6.5' box.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:56 PM   #15

Well the Foldacover store is closed due to covid I have sent them a message asking if it is both online store and Location but have not received a response.
Attached Thumbnails
folda.PNG  
Old 09-21-2020, 07:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Does anyone use the retractable cover - like Retrax? The 2021 F150 has a retractable cover option that we are interested in getting. I am guessing that there would be no problem with the 5.0 hitch - as we are getting the 6.5' box.
I looked into these covers early on. Looked to be a quality cover , offering decent security and a nice look. What turned me off was that the area taken up by the rolled up cover is useless. You can’t use it for anything so you have to subtract it from what you have. No thanks.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:20 AM   #17

Looks like I need to keep looking

Quote:
Well the Foldacover store is closed due to covid I have sent them a message asking if it is both online store and Location but have not received a response.
I still haven't received a response to my e-mail and when I call the phone number I get a message saying the phone is no longer in service. I guess I will need to find another cover but I liked the concept of the front opening flap. and the box and step rails looked good also. any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:56 AM   #18

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
I looked into these covers early on. Looked to be a quality cover , offering decent security and a nice look. What turned me off was that the area taken up by the rolled up cover is useless. You can’t use it for anything so you have to subtract it from what you have. No thanks.
Sorry for the slow response. I was away! Thank you very much for responding! Indeed - the space aspect is a bit of a concern.

We are getting a 6.5' box. Being new to this - we don't fully know the opportunity cost of the space. Our style is fairly minimalistic - and while that will flex up to E5.0, we are starting from a low base.

I guess hard folding type (OEM) is the alternative but not sure if it might interfere with the hitch.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:50 AM   #19

Extang compatibility

OK since fold a cover looks like they are belly up I was looking for a bedcover with a front opening panel. The extang encore has this. However it is a trifold not a quadfold it looks like the front panel is wider and that concerns me that I couldn't use it with fifth wheel hitch installed if anyone has used it and can give me an informed opinion i would appreciate it here is a link
https://tonneaucoversworld.com/p/ext...tonneau-cover/
Old 09-30-2020, 08:21 PM   #20

Trailer: 1986 Bigfoot FT-20
Have a roll and lock on a f150 5.0
Mszabokc is offline   Reply With Quote