Twin Beds in 5.0TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2022, 10:24 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0 (completion 4/22)
Twin Beds in 5.0TA

Hi Escapees!
We take delivery of our 5.0 in early May, 2022 and are pretty stoked! Because I flop around in my sleep a lot, we have elected to delete the queen bed and have purchased two twin beds instead. Unfortunately there's not enough room for twin beds side by side at the head end because of the little cubbies in each corner. ETI has told us they no longer will modify to delete the cubbies so my plan had been to modify the twin foam mattresses (I have foam cutting equipment at work). However, before I do that, I'm wondering if we can modify the cubbies after delivery to remove the bottom 10" or so of each cubbie. Thinking maybe I can convert it into "floating" cubbies where the mattress corners would fit underneath so I wouldn't need to modify the mattresses, sheets, etc.. I'm a woodworker so the modifying doesn't bother me However, a couple of questions (because I haven't looked closely at the cubbies):
1. is there wiring inside the cubbies?
2. will the side and front walls support the cubbie without tying into the floor if I elevate the cubbie floor so it is 10" off the bed floor so the mattress fits?

Thanks much for any bits of wisdom or ideas!
BoomerStu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 11:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
I've done some poking around in those 'corner-columns' in my 5.0 for other reasons. Based on that and you being a woodworker IMO you'll have no problem with the mod you outline or even completely eliminating all below the 'overhead' cabinet.

TIP - Talk with your sales consultant about adding pieces of the paneling, trim, and even wall-covering (vinyl bonded to foam) that matches your chosen interior as 'loose / materials only items' on your build-sheet. I did that, I'm very glad to have the materials for mods, the cost was IMO very reasonable IF you have those materials packed in your trailer when it's delivered (no shipping cost, which is otherwise prohibitive for that sort of bulky stuff).

Have Fun!
Old 01-29-2022, 11:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
We have the twin mattresses so I can’t help you with your questions about the cubbies.

Perhaps you could help me though. What are the dimensions of the twin mattresses that you will be using?
Mswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 09:09 AM   #4

Standard Twins here in the States are approximately 39”x75”. According to Linda at ETI the space cubbie to cubbie is only 63 1/2”.
Old 01-30-2022, 09:11 AM   #5

Thanks and great idea about getting a little extra paneling from ETI!
Old 01-30-2022, 10:01 AM   #6

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Chris R removed most of the cubby area and installed shelves on each side. This should give you an idea on how to expand the area for your twins.

Terry likes the cubby on her side, but my arm keeps hitting that area, so I wake up. Some day!

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 01-30-2022, 01:53 PM   #7

Thank you Perry! Good information!👍

Tags
5.0ta, cubbies, storage, twin beds